8.5 Metres

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Mags52, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

I tried earlier with a question about the Swift Kontiki but no response to here's a more general question. 8.5 metres is the length of the Kontiki. Currently we have a 6.5 metre van. What kind of issues might we face with the extra length? Is it too big for some sites / aires?
    We love the layout and the extra space inside but don't want to find ourselves very limited where we can go.

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just wild park if you get a problem . i cant say about camp sites or aires these day . i gave in using them years ago. go on have a adventure . just park upin nce places sensibly .its a big world out there . thousands have big campers and have an adventure.

• Like Like x 3
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

I saw your last post but thought someone who knew better than me would answer you , the only thing I have gathered by being on here is that swifts are very prone to damp issues so make sure you have it well tested before you part with any money, extra length shouldn't be a problem apart from parking in car parks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

The biggest issue you will have is getting used to the rear overhang (probably the cause of the majority of "scrapes")

Site/aires wise I can't see you having any major problems (of course there are some exceptions and some very tight sites/aires/fuel stations etc)

if in any doubt move to the next one ;)

With regards to the rear overhang - just be aware that when you turn left, the right hand rear corner will swing the opposite direction for a cpl of yards (vice versa when you turn right!). just make sure you factor this in before turning sharply.

mirror, move, mirror and a bit more mirror (if in doubt STOP!!)

• Like Like x 5
  5. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks folks. The Kontiki is a tag axle so I assume it will be stable to drive but having never driven one I'm not sure if it has any effect on manoeuvring. Our current van has quite a big overhang so I'm guessing it would be just be even more care taken getting out of petrol stations etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We are 8.5 metres and find that we are larger than the average van so consequently you will always be the one stuck furthest out on aires and sites. Sometimes things can get a bit tight with trees and hedges to mark pitches but if you are a confident driver you should have no problems. It has never stopped us going where we want.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  7. Madwife

Madwife Deleted User

Hi Margaret and Shirley

Some points from formally having a 8.5m tag axle
    Some sites don't take MH's over 8m
    Access can be tricky (as others have said - overhang etc)
    The tag axle makes it less manoeuvrable - our new MH although 9 m is much more manoeuvrable as the twin rear wheels pivot rather than drag.

Kath

• Like Like x 2
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Also if you plan to tow anything check out what it can legally take as I believe a lot of tax axle ones have very poor towing limits.

9. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

We have seen a lot of tags that must be over 8 meters using aires in France and other than a bit of shunting problems trying to get into bays I can't say I have seen any problems plus don't forget there are a lot of 7 meter plus vans with bike racks and motorbikes on back that must take them over 8 meters
    And we have seen the odd trailer on aires that must be over 10 meters

10. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

8.5 Tag............ And not had one problem in the UK France/Spain/Portugal "Oh" and Wales..

Aires/Sites/Wilding, and with a 20ft car trailer...

Tyres can take a hammering if you go round and round in tight circles on tar-mac... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have no experience of long vans whatsoever, all I can say is that frequently I find myself feeling very glad that my van is only 6 metres :rolleyes:

We often park in Aires, car parks etc where even 6 metres feels long!

Just sayin....:cautious:

• Like Like x 6
  12. SandT

SandT Funster

Ours is over 8mtrs and not had a problem anywhere in Europe.
    We tend to phone ahead on the day we are moving but never mention the RV word !
    We just say its a large motorhome, have had one or two ask if its a tag axle but never understood why?

Terry

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gellyneck

Gellyneck Funster Life Member

Don't have a tag axle but I'm sure I've seen some sites that refuse them, particularly on grass pitches (some also same for twin axle caravans) 'cause they've a concern they cut up the grass. Tag axle users may be able to confirm or tell me am dreamin!

14. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

These are great points - thanks. Particularly interested in the impact of the tag axle (thanks Kath). I think we need to look around at other options before we make a final decision.

• Like Like x 1
  15. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

In France, 'some' sites don't accept tag axle caravans, as I understand, this is to give a legit reason to refuse travelers entry .. Personally never had that issue with the 18ft tag caravan we towed .. once the site warden sees you are not a Itinerant the rule is relaxed.. so no gold earnings and headscarf .. :LOL:

Our RV was 36ft .. As for length being an issue.. yes, it can be on some sites and aires, planning ahead was essential.. parking in supermarkets was ok provided it wasn't too busy and you could park through two bays with empty bays next to you.. if they filled up it could make leaving almost impossible..

8.5mt or 28ft won't have many problems.. but there will be times you wished it were only 7 mts or less.. it's always a compromise.. just watch the tail swing leaving fuel pumps and gate posts on sites..

Just for interest.. many CClub sites now have a 28ft max rule..

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  16. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

"Ours is over 8mtrs and not had a problem anywhere in Europe."

But is that because you "phone ahead on the day we are moving but never mention the RV word !" ???

Or "just say its a large motorhome" ???

Sounds like you feel the need to be economic with the truth :rolleyes:

17. SandT

SandT Funster

Why? It is a "large motorhome" and if they ask the length we tell them its 342 inches long! ;)

Terry

18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

The tag axle bit could cost you more on tolls in France, personally I would prefer twin wheel single rear axle RWD.

Martin

• Like Like x 4
  19. chaser

chaser Funster

My first reply to this was didn't think it would be much of a problem, but as its only the two of you and considering other options , and reading other replays , I think you would be safer sticking to a shorter van, I would anyway.(y):)

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shrimp64

Shrimp64 Funster

We have been on some Aires in France where you definately wouldn't get an 8mtre van on, also some of the more interesting roads would not be an option for you.