75ah V 110ah Leisure Battery

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Cliffy38, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Cliffy38

Cliffy38 Funster

Having picked up my Motorhome about 3 weeks ago they obviously installed a new leisure battery 75ah Numax. considering changing this to 110ah but just wondered how much I will benefit from the change. It will be running the usual things pump, LED TV, lights. Don't have solar panels fitted or should I consider this as an option?

2. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

Could you fit another 75ah next to it and have 2 batteries solar is a good idea

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the benefit is an extra 35 amp/hr
    [​IMG]

4. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

How are you going to use your MH?
    Remember the battery is doing nothing for you while you are on hook-up.
    Its only when you are "off grid" that you are using power from your leisure battery.
    If you are off for a weekend rally, then try it and see if you battery lasts out, worst thing is that you have to go home early.
    When you know how long you can last with your current battery , you can calcularte how much longer a bigger battery will last.
    Keep it on hook-up when at home to recharge and keep it topped-up.

5. rosalan

rosalan Funster

Solar is a must if you intend camping without a hook-up, otherwise you are forever having to consider what lights to leave on etc.
    For me, the upgrade would be a solar panel of around 100w + with a link to both leisure and Van batteries and all the internal lights made into LED's. The prices have come down a lot over the last few years. If you travel in France Spain or Europe generally, electricity can become an extra expense, admittedly only around £14 a week, but combined with saving upwards of £15 a night camp fees, totalling around £120 a week, being independent begins to make sense. A second battery would be my next choice.
    Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

When we bought our van 2 years ago, we thought that we 'must' get solar etc........ but we decided to suck it and see......

Still haven't fitted a solar panel, never ran out of power, never use hook ups (y)

However if you can fit another battery then that would be the most useful thing to do as 75 ah will only give you a real operating range of around 27 to 30 amps! (meaning never go below 50% charge, and they take ages to charge above 85% so your useable value is around 27 amps)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

if the 110 is 330mm long? you can equally fit a 125ah

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

I would agree it so depends on usage, we get anxious over our batteries and how long they will last. The best thing we did was change all our bulbs to led (and we eventually gave in and got 2 batteries and solar!). If it is a new 75ah and you have the space presumably a second 75ah will be cheaper than a replacement 110ah and give you 150ah total.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

Or by a generator :reel:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Cliffy38

Cliffy38 Funster

Am I right in assuming that running the engine charges the leisure as well as the main van battery as this used to be the case on my old motorhome?

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

yes, but it takes a while.

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

When we bought our van in February 2012 it came with a 85Ah battery of unknown age. We had a 80W solar panel fitted and changed all the bulbs to LED. We had a 12v TV at the time but no longer use it so the battery is only powering lights, water pump, blown air heating fan and device chargers (phones, laptop &c). We got back on Sunday from 22 nights away in 6 locations (including stays of 7 and 6 nights at two of them) and had no power problems at all. It's all about balancing supply and demand.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

Better looking at it than for it (y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

With all the enthusiasm expressed here for getting extra batteries and/or solar panels, I was convinced I'd need one or both - until I went on my shakedown trip to Lyndon Top.
    I thought - let's see if I can last three days without exhausting the battery or gas... on the fifth day I came home, not because of a flat battery but because of a lack of food & clean clothes :rofl:!
    My old H only has a basic analogue meter, and I've no idea how accurate it is - but it barely budged in those five days.
    Was a 20 mile round trip on day three enough to put back what I'd taken out, unlikely I'd have thought.

So, I'm certainly not rushing out to spend loads on what might be unnecessary expense & weight.

So I'm with @chockswahay suck it & see
    I might need another battery, but it's pointless lugging around one until I know I do.

15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

If your not watching TV, using the shower or flushing the toilet - charging your laptop, phone, iPad, kindle or running your 12 volt/3amp sky box or leaving your led lights ( Note: I say lights ) on then yes your battery will last ages. The average MH these days draws around 4/5 amps per hour from a battery from around 5pm to 10pm...... thats -25amps - there is NO WAY without charging of some sort that a 75amp ( you only have 32.5 amps before you start damaging the battery ) will last more than 2/3 days.
    I wish all of you the very best who can run for days and days using 20/ 25amps per day without charging the battery....................................... good luck

• Like Like x 5
  16. SMB

SMB Funster

I agree with Don Quixote, it depends what you intend to use and also how you intend to use the van. I like my creature comforts and don't want to worry about watching the battery levels go down, one of my priorities when I bought my van was solar panels and an inverter. More recently, now that I have a satdish fitted, I have uprated the 12v system with additional leisure batteries and a B2B charger. When I'm in Portugal I spend most of my time on aires so it suits me, dare I say it but I reckon I have more gadgets than JJ (but maybe not Techno100). If you have the space for another battery and solar panel(s) then I would consider having them installed :)

• Like Like x 3
  17. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We are very heavy users of electrickery..
    For us a pair of 145aH batteries and 300w of solar panel just about work !

18. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Us too all the comforts of home in our van and we use em.
    3 x 115 amp traction batteries and 2 big solar panels do nicely thank you.

19. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

We had one battery no solar and were for ever running flat and were not heavy users probably the 18month old leisure battery had been damaged by over using so we went for solar and tractions now we don't even think about electrics just use what we want

• Like Like x 1
  20. rosalan

rosalan Funster

There is so much to agree with here. You absolutely do not need (NEED) a bigger battery or solar panel if you do not use the power. In which case, why not have a tent, the smaller the better with least waste of energy. A torch with an LED and a couple of AAA batteries for lighting.
    In my own case, I do not want to think about power, just enjoy the comforts of my van because I can!
    Alan

• Like Like x 1