7 weeks into fulltiming.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by david price, Jun 5, 2010.

1. david price

david price Read Only Funster

Started our new life 7 weeks ago and personelly i love it,wife misses not seeing family so much but other than that is enjoying it.
    We are only 45min from home but they are two different worlds.We have taken jobs as assistant managers on a campsite.It is a five star site with a small shop.The work is alot easier than i am used to but so are the wages.
    At first i was a little worried i would get bored,but with a shop to run,booking in,cleaning the shower and toilet block ,bins to empty and 13 acres of grass,hedges and trees to maintain as well as a lake there is no chance of that.
    The hours are very long but it is a nice feeling helping fellow campers who need help.
    It is very different to staying on a campsite as so much goes on that the campers dont see.
    Long days are in the shop at 8am ready to open at 8.30,hour lunch break at about 1.30 pm,normally shut shop at 5pm but are letting people on till 8pm,walk around check loos,lights etc at about 10pm.Then on call through the night in case of emergencies.The next day finish about 5.30 to 6pm then the other couple are on call.
    Still for me this is the life and one you would not do for the money.I know i could earn alot more going back to the norm but what price do you put on happiness.

Hope to see some of you at somepoint,but i warn you in advance it is not a cheap site.

Dave

2. kennygd

kennygd Read Only Funster

:thumb:Good for you and I envy you for running a site, we are twelve weeks into fulltiming and loving every minute of it.
    kennygd

3. Ven

Ven Funster

Glad you're enjoying it , hope your wife learns to love it :) We're 15 months in now and absolutely love it. We were only taking a year out! :RollEyes:

Just need the sale to go through smoothly so we can get back to France.

4. motorvating

motorvating Read Only Funster

Totally jealous of your lifestyle as I still have 20 years until I retire:cry::cry:

Plans and saving hard are in place for a megga trip when we finish work to travel the spice trail.

5. david price

Not retired,only 45 so a few years to go yet,just firmly believe in living for today because no one knows what tomorrow will bring.
    Done over 25 years in the building trade,last 17 running my own business.Had enough of the profit going down and the costs rising rapidly.
    Money would be enough for me and the missis to live quite well and if we rented the house out we would be laughing.Problem is two of our kids still live at home,moved out and came back before we moved.So they are paying the bills and living rent free(the wifes idea not mine) and to top it off whenever we go back my wife fills the fridge for them.I wish my parents had been like that:RollEyes::RollEyes: Still it stops my wife feeling guilty because she says we have abandoned them?When we go back for the day we are lucky to spend an hour or two with them has they will still just go out anyway.Wouldent mind but my eldest son generally earns more than me and the missus put together now and my wife still feels guilty?
    The way i see it is it will get them from thier moms apron strings.Eventually :Wink:
    Dave

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i agree with dp .i went into semi retirment at 44 . toured africa .came home worked through an agency did more hours than ever in summer travelled in winter .life is too short for stopping at home moaning get out and do it.
    work if you want /need to ,never been so easy as it is now .but you cant be too fussy.
    i like driving sewage trucks tacho excempt drive and work long hours earn lots .most wont do it . where theres muck theres money. cheer alan get lots of travelling in we could be the last of the free travellers

7. scran

scran Read Only Funster

retirement

GOOD LUCK TO YOU., SOUNDS JUST WHAT WOULD SUIT US, BUT STEVE HAS ANOTHER 3 YEARS TO DO :Smile:

8. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

Sounds like a like we would enjoy. Not sure though what the authorities would say when they discover our three boys under 15 have been left alone while their parents tour the world. Damn interfering do gooders:Rofl1:

9. ukfetchfan

ukfetchfan Read Only Funster

Glad you are all enjoying life on the road. We retire on Sept 3, Party on Sept 4, tidy up on Sept 5 and hit the road on Sept 6 - can't wait!! Have dreamt about and planned for this for about 15yrs. Recently down-sized house and are now all ready to go. Just hope it will be all we want it to be - and that we have good- health for many many years.:Rofl1:

Have just joined this Community - so will see you all plenty in the future as I am sure we will have plenty plenty questions!!

10. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Good for you. :thumb:

Hope all continues to work out well. If you can manage it....it is what life should be all about.

11. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Hope it all goes well for you.

Phil

12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

GO DAVE GO DAVE<
    Sounds well good Dave, couldn't imagine you doing it as I thought you were tied to that building buisness but fair play to ya, Enjoy it :thumb:

You never said where the site is Dave if we want to hook up?

13. david price

Hi paul,site is stanmorehall touring park in bridgenoth.You can look it up on the net.
    Give me time and i will try to arrange a funsters discount.We are affilliated to the caravan club so can get a discount for that.Lots to see and do in the area.
    Hope to see some of you soon.
    Dave

14. Mandaxxx

Mandaxxx Read Only Funster

It's heartening to hear some saying best thing ever as we are just waiting for house sale to go through then we are off in the van, initially for a 'gap' year but suspect it will turn into more!
    We want to get into campsite warden positions eventually maybe next year or year after, thought about CC or C&CC wardens (assistants to start) any way heard you can save enough to live rest of year without working, got to be good.:thumb::Rofl1:
    Glad you are getting on so well.

15. david price

Only been doing it a short while but feels like alot longer.Love the life but totally different to going to a campsite for a break.While 98% of campers are great you get the 2% where nothing is good enough.Some people must have very sad lifes.
    Just grin and smile.
    Dave

16. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Hey Dave, I live about a mile away from there - might pop in and say hello sometime.

Give me a shout if you need any local knowledge!

17. david price

Look forward to seeing you.Not there on tuesdays because we have fixed that has our day off.
    Dave

18. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Hi Dave,

Well my mate both Jan and I wish you both the best of everything in your new life.:thumb: We have been talking about doing the same thing but over the water where it has some blue skys and sun.

Hope we catch up at some point this year. we are of to theHagger's bring and buy meet next.

Pat & Jan

19. david price

Hi patrick and jan,we were due to go to haggers do and looking forward to it but no chance with this new job.Still, get the middle of jan to the middle of march off:BigGrin::BigGrin:.
    Have a great time.If it is half as good as last year im sure you will.
    Dave and kaz

20. Jim

Jim Ringleader

When you said Full Timing I thought you meant full time touring in your van, not getting a full time job:Laughing:

Sounds like your enjoying it, :thumb: