7" Truck Sat Nav - The story so far

Discussion in 'GPS Navigation' started by lunarman, Jul 16, 2013.

1. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I thought that you may be interested in my experiences with the 7" truck sat nav that I bought from Navibuzz.

I received the unit from them 7 days after ordering they did not dispatch until 5 days after order.

The unit as received had the following problems (in my view):

Maps and application dated from early 2011 so were out of date.

The speed warning function was not correct. It shows speed limit of 48 in a 30 mph area and does not warn until you are doing 48!!

It does not save user settings for colour scheme on exit so had to reset them each time the sat nav was started.

I was in two minds as to returning the unit there and then, but thought I would see if I could fix it.

The first port of call was there map update site. I downloaded "new" maps but found that they were the same as the ones on the unit as received. I contacted Navibuzz there response was that they updated the maps regularly and a new set would be available within a month.

I could not find any way of correcting the speed warning error the response from navibuzz was to set the speed when warning limit at 60% it would still display the speed limit as 48 but warn at 30!

Not saving user settings needed a change to the application.

So should I send it back - I battled onwards.

Looking around the web I found a newer version of the application and a set of truck maps dated Q4 2012. (probably pirated!) I downloaded this and installed it on the SD card so that I did not alter the delivered unit. This solved all the problems.

I will be interested to see what Navibuzz put on there update site next moth whether they will be newer that the ones I now have.

The next challenge was loading bulk custom POI files. I found the answer relatively easily on the web. The POI files have to be in .kml (google earth) format and have to be copied to a content/userdata/poi folder. I have downloaded and installed the ACSI Card and Aires poi and they work.

So I have ended up with a satnav that is quite impressive I love the large screen and the application has a number of facilities that I have yet to explore.

I am currently trying to install text to speak voices to announce road names will let you know if I am successful.

I shall be at Malvern so if anyone wants to have a look I'll be glad to show you.

Hope this is useful

Lunarman

• Like Like x 5
  2. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Good, objective write up that man!

I wouldn't have had the patience!:thumb:

3. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Text to Speech now working

I now have the text to speech working so have the option of road names being announced if I want.

Lunarman

• Like Like x 2
  4. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

What sort of price John?

My Tomtom has turned into a pathological liar:Laughing:

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

more patience than me.....

I would have returned it in person and told them what a load of shite their product was.

Might as well have sent you a kit of parts to build and program yourself instead of a product you could use straight from the box.

Extremely shoddy product and aftercare service in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  6. greyman1

greyman1 Read Only Funster

do these type of sat navs have lane guidence or is that just a tom tom thing ? regards garry

7. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Yes it has lane guidance

8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Trying to update my maps but not having much success. The Pnavi site just has the 2011 ones still (Navibuzz say they expect newer ones at end of the month)

Are there any alternative links?

Wyn

• Like Like x 1
  9. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

If two yearly updates are deemed regular, Ill stick with my TT 6" with free life map updates 4 x a year:thumb:
    TT is now giving free life updates on quite a few models now.

Due I believe to the release of their 3 d maps which in my mind is just a cartoon gimick

The shape of the building might help with the odd left and right turns, but do you really have time to study building shapes s well as roads:Doh:
    G

10. ukbill

ukbill Funster

lunarman have you checked you are on miles and not km ?

11. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Just returned from 10 week trek using this is truck sat nav almost exclusively. An interesting experience, a handy "toy" but not a serious contender, so the market leaders need not be afraid of this one. Far to many idiosyncracies to deal with, Pappajohn got it right in his post, does not jump out of box ready to go.

Problems?

Out of date maps, and likely to remain so for foreseeable future warning us while on motorway that we were "off road". Road has been there 8 years to my certain knowledge.

With truck settings chosen and programmed this unit tried to take us over inappropriate routes, but warned us that a 6 lane motorway was contrary to truck settings and we should find alternate route!!

Country settings data, re speed limits etc., inaccurate with alarms going off when within limits....... switched alarms off!

Could go on but simply repeat "handy toy" and recommend you spend your money elsewhere because in this case you really do "get what you pay for".. what do you expect for £78(circa) ?

Regards, Bryan

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

It's an inspiration to many. Sling it back or persevere.

If it was cheap you probably did the right thing and well done.

If it wasn't cheap then you let them off the hook to scam others.

Plan B for anyone else with a bit of go in them and wanting cheap(ish) satnav is
    find a suitable android phone or tablet and download one of the free programs. Finding a 7" tablet with GPS is a bit difficult and top end of the price range but if phone size is OK then ebay should source a suitable phone at a reasonable price. Android phones are just compact tablets.

13. hilldweller

Probably a decent but out of fashion Android phone off ebay.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Tardis2

The Tardis2 Read Only Funster

Looking around the web I found a newer version of the application and a set of truck maps dated Q4 2012. (probably pirated!) I downloaded this and installed it on the SD card so that I did not alter the delivered unit. This solved all the problems.
    I have a 7" screen satnav with IGo software if your the same I'd be interested in how you got above update

15. ukbill

ukbill Funster

mine which came from china and quite a few others have bought gives me no trouble at all its took me to spain portugal poland germany czech and loads more places in the uk well worth the money also dont forget it has its own poi u do a custom search of the place u are going to then put in accommodation,camping and it find most places around that area

16. hilldweller

17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

18. hilldweller

Yes but this is a GPS thread, I'm considering it to be a cheap 5" tablet with GPS. Forget the phone bit.

Android 4 will be fine for GPS.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Fair enough. For 15 quid more I just got a TomTom with lifetime map upgrades and 1 year live traffic.

Depends what each of us wants I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  20. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Me too!

Wyn