7 inch Tablets Advice Sought

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Stewart J, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Stewart, I have looked and looked and looked.

Wen't to currys and looked at the playbook on the advice of some on here. However, it wasn't for me. I was told if I was expecting an Ipad then I would be dissapointed. I was.

One excellent thing though is the price, keen as mustard.

So anyhow, Nikki doesn't know it yet, but she has a Galaxy tab 7 in her stocking from Santa, along with a new Galaxy phone,

I have a Galaxy 3 and it's ace, we will rapidly become a Galaxy household over Apple.

The Galaxy is like an ipad,,, just IMO better :Wink:

Currys have a £30 off deal at present :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Seen the light at long last Paul!!!

I too looked at the Blackberry and as Paul said, it was not for me, don't know why, just did not do it. Having said that I am still toying if I need one or not, have been at this point for 8 months...

• Like Like x 2
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I bought a Samsung in April and Jill was so impressed that she bought herself one a few days later.

I then went and bought a Playbook 2 days ago, having seen the reviews on here, not because I needed it but with a background in IT I like toys.

They are both very good machines but they are tablets so I still use a laptop (or netbook on travels) for anything that needs Windows software and/or a reasonable amount of typing.

I'll need to use the Playbook for a while and research/download some apps before I can evaluate it fully but I'm impressed with it so far. There seems to be less software available for it than for Android machines but that might be just me not having looked far enough.

It would be worth going into Currys/PC World and having a play with the display models to see what suits you best. If the Playbook does what you want there is no point in paying the extra £70 for the Samsung.

5. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Think it depends how techy you want to get, we have had the Blackberry for a month now and love it, great for surfing the net, You tube, photo's and music, grandchildren 14 and 17 have had one each in the past week and think they are brilliant for FB and things like that.
    They are both very very up to date but have no problem with having the PB instead of a I Pad. Also Grandson is doing his A levels in English and has downloaded loads of Shakespear, at 64 gig he can download as much as he wants.

6. bungy

bungy Funster

well...id almost written you off as well:Rofl1: good onyah

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Samsung - as long as it's got GPS.

8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

why?

I hook it up to my Galaxy, tethered and off I go? or am i missing something?

9. hilldweller

Might as well have all the options available, it will make a fine satnav for zero cost as long as it has GPS.

10. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Don't overlook the Google Nexus - Android based - makes a top quality SatNav, excellent MP3 player and photo viewer. Plus lots of Apps.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

12. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

Another vote for the Google nexus 7 , they have just brought out a 32 GB version too

13. cbrookson

cbrookson Funster

I too use the Nexus 7.

The Android App store has a lot of useful stuff cheaply. Also you can download the Google Maps to work offline so it does a good job of plotting where you are with no connection with the WiFi only version. Good display, can even borrow books from the Suffolk Libraray using Overdrive :Smile:

Cheers

14. sampain

sampain Read Only Funster

I think the Samsung Galaxy range is excellent, but I wouldn't rule out a generic 7" Andoird device like a GoTab or Yarvic.
    If you search the likes of eBay, or look at eBuyer you will see a selection.
    If you see one you like, I would Google the name of it to check for reviews.
    I have seen them range from around £90 up to £179.
    You may also want to consider the Motorola Xoom 2 (I have the first version) Media edition which is 8.2" and Argos were selling recently for £179.99.
    The cheapest I have seen this is £149.99, but can't remember where.
    Just found this, but don't know anything about the brand [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008GBCWW4/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21"]NATPC Typhoon HD RTB 8GB - 7" IPS 1024 x 600 Touchscreen Super Slim High Definition Android Tablet PC with DUAL cameras - front and back - FREE CARRY CASE / STAND: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I bought a playbook and Im very pleased with it .
    great for a number of simple tasks.....watching films .listening to music...
    playing a few games.Surfing the net.

However I cant see what all the fuss is about...a small laptop running windows 7 is so much more useful and can do so much more.

At home I have a powerful desktop........so the laptop and the tablet
    are mostly redundant. And for proper work give me a mouse over touch screen any day.

I think its just a trend.a bit like 3d......it catches the public's imagination...then might just fade away.
    A slim light small lappy will outgun a tablet every day.

But for the price the 64g playbook is a bargain...and I do like mine

barry

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I held exactly the same view. The reason I got the playbook was I am a fulltimer and go off hookup quite a bit. My Laptop is a big old powerful one that sucks 5amps out of my batteries. That is a lot when all I want to do is watch a film. The tablet allows me to watch 8-10 hours of tv/films without having the monster powered up which extends my ability to stay off hookup.

I did look at other tablets but they were either too expensive or had too little memory and no SD card.

The longer I have the playbook for the more uses I find for it. It is a fantastic organiser. The calendar on a 7" screen is so much more useful than the little one on my phone. The contact manager ditto.

As an RSS news feed reader it is fantastic, and I now read all my news on the tablet. The magazine software is yet to be tested but looks promising.

I am on the verge of getting rid of my iPod touch as I can fit all my music on the tablet for use around the van. I will just load what I fancy on my iPod nano for wandering about as it so much easier to use without taking it out of my pocket.

When I visit my mum, I take it in for emails. It also turns out useful for answering questions while we are watching tv/films. What was that actor in before?

It has also been handy for all my manuals. I have them in pdf format and are now all stored on the tablet.

From being a sceptic of tablets I am now finally a convert... I really couldn't see the point to a tablet before. They were too big to fit in your pocket, the screen was too small to be useful like my laptop and it had no keyboard. It was a solution looking for a problem. If it wasn't for the 64GB version coming in so cheap I still wouldn't have one but at £129 it was worth a gamble. I am so glad I did now..

I was about to buy a Samsung Galaxy 3, but I am now waiting for the OS10 to come out and will be looking at the blackberry phones again.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I can see how it is even more useful to you than me..even though I really like my Playbook.

Do you think OS10 will be able to be loaded onto current playbooks ?

barry

18. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

apparantly .. yes, according to this thread on Crackberry

19. hilldweller

For simple browsing, picture viewing, movies or book reading in an arm chair the tablet wins.

Sent from tablet in Whitby, conveniently.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster