Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Although we have only done about 50 nights this "season" I think using one 6kg bottle of gas at£20.25 per refill is good value. Bottle expired last night which was our last night until March 2017. Thought about refillable bottles but don't think is worth it for our usage. (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We can go through double that in 2 or 3 weeks in winter . The fire is only usually off when the wind blows it out.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Although we have only done about 50 nights this "season" I think using one 6kg bottle of gas at£20.25 per refill is good value. Bottle expired last night which was our last night until March 2017. Thought about refillable bottles but don't think is worth it for our usage. (y)
At your usage rate it would take donkeys years to make it a worthwhile effort..
We use the mh all year and get through a bottle full every three to four weeks during the summer and 1/2 to 2 weeks in winter ( unless in Spain in which case 2 to 3 weeks per bottle.. but that is for everything from the fridge to the heating )

We got the outlay back inside a year, but for you ? Not really worth it methinks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You are obviously not drinking enough of it.:)
We are just back from an 8 week trip, we had a EHU for 17 nights don't normally use EHU at all but had to use sites in Croatia.
I thought our gas useage was fairly low, we got through 70Lt (36kg).

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just filled our gasit 6 kg bottle for less than eight quid(y) and that's at shell, not the cheapest.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Just filled our gasit 6 kg bottle for less than eight quid(y) and that's at shell, not the cheapest.
Local gas retailer to us in notloB is @46p a ltr at the moment. (y)

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
I looked into getting refillable gas but also came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be cost-effective for us (we use a 10kg Gas Light - its slightly cheaper than Calor). We both work full time so can't do the long trips that others do and we do like staying on campsites so often have EHU. I still think refillable gas is a great idea and if money was no object I'd have it just for the convenience, but you just need to do your sums to see if its actually worthwhile depending on your own circumstances. I'll be keeping an eye on prices though and if our usage pattern changes then I'd definitely look into it again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As were full timing I'm just in the process of fitting a 55ltr gasit underslung tank, no messing about and I get a nice big locker to fill with more cra......... useful stuff. (y)

I hope you have a lot of spare load capacity.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
In all fairness, it took me about 6/7 years of cylinder usage to decide that Gaslow system was VFM. Normally I woukd have a large BP Lite and a Calor Lite as back up. Both, at that time were similar prices but BP Lite was greater quantity. So basically a minimum of £30 to get a new cylinder for holidays and I had to make sure back up was unused or only slightly used, otherwise another £30 (near enough). First year after having Gaslow fitted, I filled up on way to Dover the next year So, at that time we'd had say two weeks holiday and a few nights away the previous year. I stopped at the services (definitely not the cheapest) and I'll never forget the price. £9.72.
Yes it was an expense but it's sold on the convenience rather than cost returns. Had it about 5 years now and although I'll probably never recover the outlay, the convenience is fantastic and every time I do fill up, I laugh at the amount I'm paying out for full tanks and in the knowledge, when we get chance for a few months away, we can get LPG in any country. Personally, IMO, I think that's a far more worthwhile investment than say solar panels, certainly in my case but I know there are Funsters who couldn't live without solar.
I still say that, after the purchase of my Exsis*, Gaslow* is definitely the best investment I've ever made.
*Other makes are available

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
We can go through double that in 2 or 3 weeks in winter . The fire is only usually off when the wind blows it out.
Southern softie, our fire is only on when icicles form on the shower head ;)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I always thought that Gaslow didn't give vfm especially as I got my calor from go outdoors with servicemans discount for much cheapness. That said it became a pain to get them as our local didn't have them very long and you had to phone at the time of delivery to get one. This premium rate number negated the discount at times and then became just a pain all together of getting the bottles changing over in car parks or forecourts. So I bought one 11 kg Gaslow and have 13 calor back up. We use a lot more than we thought we would and the lack of effort makes the Gaslow system so much better. So vfm not so much, but ease of use never go back. (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have had Alugas 2x11kg for quite a few years and probably still haven't recouped the cost, however we didn't buy it for that reason. We tour almost always abroad and it's nice to know that you can top up your gas anytime. Previously I was always a bit worried about running out.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We carry 3 x 6kg Calor propane bottles and that easily lasts us our 8 week winter trip to Spain (Jan to March) wit some left over.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Local gas retailer to us in notloB is @46p a ltr at the moment. (y)
ruddy hell! just got it - been wandering for a while, thought my brain had bolted:D

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I hope you have a lot of spare load capacity.
Hope so Brian, tare totally empty 3600kgs MGW going to be 5000kgs. (y)

image.jpeg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I think if you turn it on you may use more :doh:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
After just px'ing our Wentworth we got our money back on the gas low bottles by a higher trade in price and we were very happy thank you. (y)
That's what gave me the idea of a bulk underslung tank this time. :D

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
After just px'ing our Wentworth we got our money back on the gas low bottles by a higher trade in price and we were very happy thank you. (y)
That's what gave me the idea of a bulk underslung tank this time. :D
We part x ed our van and the dealer swapped the gaslow over to the new.ish van. Wouldn't be without it now. Paid 0.62 cents a litre though on the A 7 (Spain )last week. Convenience for us wins. We had calor the first year we came and I worried the whole time about running out.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I suppose refillable would be the convenient way to go if we had more time to use the Moho (y)

kip

Free Member
Apr 26, 2015
Bulphan
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have had Alugas 2x11kg for quite a few years and probably still haven't recouped the cost, however we didn't buy it for that reason. We tour almost always abroad and it's nice to know that you can top up your gas anytime. Previously I was always a bit worried about running out.
That`s exactly the same reason i fitted our 2 11kg gasit bottles this summer.We are having our first winter trip for 3-4 months this year & the missus likes to keep warm.knowing we can get gas abroad as & when we need it was the big selling point for us.:)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
For anyone travelling abroad its not VFM it's survival since every country has it's own fittings.
I suppose this would also be true of those less able who may struggle with shifting the bottles in and out. I maybe should have said. Wouldn't provide me with vfm. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I maybe should have said. Wouldn't provide me with vfm. (y)

Not at all. On cost terms it is a very long payback time.

But on a trip round Europe all different bottles and different regulations to get hold of the bottles. Spain you need a Spanish conformity certificate to buy a bottle officially. So Gaslow and similar pays off in convenience.

We have a single 12kg tank, it wasn't too expensive when we got it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
1 x 18kg Gas it bottle, love it,, very cheap , and no lugging in and out with bottle , plus with the worry of accidentally marking the M in the process of doing so.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We also have 2 x 11kg gasit ...
Easy
Convenient
Cheap to fill
Difficult to run out
Never looked back tbh

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Refillables don’t just allow you to use cheaper gas. You can always set off on holiday with a full bottle without needing to sacrifice any unused gas that would’ve still been in the old one. On top of that, you won’t need a different container if abroad, just an adaptor for your current bottle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back