600 trouble free miles touring Scotland then 20 miles from home!

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jack Slipper, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Jack Slipper

Jack Slipper Funster

Just back from a lovely tour of Dumfries and Galloway and the Ayrshire coast. Covered 600 trouble free miles on uncrowded roads then 20 miles from home Mr White van man crosses the line, wipes out the wing mirror and drives on leaving us with a £300 bill to replace it. Unbelievably angry!!

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I once did a 3000 mile tour of Europe in the car and got hit on the motorway less than three miles from home

Silly girl was texting and didn't see us cruising at 70 in the inside lane

3. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

I feel your pain..... I had a Motorhomes do that to our van because he was too busy bloody waving..... He didn't stop and put me £325 out of pocket!!!

4. pyro

pyro Funster

Bad luck mate. Those mirrors are not cheap. All the more reason to have a dash cam I suppose

Soon there'll be no space left on the inside of the windscreen, with all these gadgets

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jack Slipper

Jack Slipper Funster

Thanks. I do think a dash cam and some mirror guards might be a good investment!

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. WillH

WillH Funster

Sorry to hear of your woes, white van man did for us too. Try www.wingmirrorman.co.uk for a reasonable price. Very glad you enjoyed your tour in our part of the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. mushy

mushy Funster

Just bought a pair for my Ducato, £235 delivered. These are the all electric type and were purchased on next day delivery from http://www.magnumvs.co.uk/
    Very helpful and easy to deal with. Fiat quoted £400 each.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK Funster

Friends of ours were travelling down the M1 late one Sunday evening in their 12 week old Bailey motor home. Inside lane, cruise set to 70 road fairly quiet and a Mondeo which must have been travelling at a fairly outrageous speed and either fell asleep or was on phone clipped central barrier bounced off and speared him across the carriageway and he hit the motorhome on the rear corner causing the motorhome to spear off at an angle straight in to central barrier.

No life threatening injuries and there dog was in a cage but Moho a right off.

As inoccent party they did not get best treatment from emergency services who wanted dog to travel in back off Moho alone on back off transporter and then the insurance wanted to give them second hand value.

So scary something like that can happen whilst minding your own business.

9. roamingman

roamingman Funster

We did a 2800 mile trip down through France Spain Portruagal and Morocco, 500 + miles in the Desert, and back to Edinburgh to see daughter, 170 miles from home leaving Edinburgh taken out by a tractor and rite off.

Ps Pics in our website below

10. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I was 19 years old and had bought a BMW 520 tax free in Germany. I was a bit nervous of my long journey home doing 5 countries in a day. Germany>Holland>Belgium>France>England. I needn't have worried all those miles trouble free...until

The 406 North Circular in London. I got rear ended at red lights on a roundabout. Not too much damage but I'd need new lights and a bumper. And I only had third party insurance. I leapt out and I must have looked a little irate as the middle aged gentleman refused to get out or even open his window to speak to me. I retrieved a pen to record his number and guess what? He was a bloody German. I'd travelled all that way from Germany to be hit by one in London. :D I dented his drivers door with a size nine and never heard any more about it. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Jack Slipper

Jack Slipper Funster

It's just not right is it! The van is going in on Wednesday for a new mirror. Gone for a genuine one as it's only 6 months old. Now things have settled I'm glad the driver didn't stop - not been that angry for a long time and doubt I could have controlled myself!