Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Kwik fit state to '' consider '' replacing them after 5 years of age

Take everything that Krap-Fit say with a large shovelful of salt, I used to slave for them, fortunately for a very brief period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The 4 digit code will be somewhere. It could be on inside of tyre.

Although I think you are probably right, whose daft idea was that o_Oo_O

I guess the main use of it is for stock control, as normal tyre use on regularly used vehicles would cover the miles before the years

I have just convinced my 83 year old mother to give up driving, taken her Toyota Yaris Verso off her, that has been main dealer serviced annually but the rear tyres appear to be original 02 manufactured, fronts changed when damaged on kerbs many times in the cars 17,000 mile history :)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
With an omnidirectional tyre you are at the mercy of the tyre fitter. I always ask that they fit the date stamp facing outwards

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
It seems that the age issue with MH / caravan tyres is the LACK of use / mileage . . . & it's that that detrimentally affects the tyre's structural integrity

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
We had a blowout last weekend on the way home from Italy. The tyre was 7 years old, so I was watching it and didn't show any cracking on the sidewall from the outside but the inside wall blew. Being a truck tyre we actually run pretty light and Tyrepal keeps an eye on the pressure so I thought it was okay for this season. My advice is check both sides of the tyres when chacking for deteriation.

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Just changed my poor looking tyre for the spare as a precaution, i know it's not great but i do feel a little happier having done it. Leaving home for Peterborough in a few hours:rolleyes: we must be bloody mad:ROFLMAO:

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I was advised my tyres were 6 years old when the Motorhome was serviced and MOTd last August by @dave newell lvs
The tread was perfect but decided to have new ones fitted before we tour Scotland next month for peace of mind.
@Brian and Jo fitted 6 Continental 200s yesterday and also replaced the inner wheels plastic valve extensions with new brass ones which hopefully will cure the problem I have been having with my tyrepal sensors.
I am now one happy bunny.:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I had, I guess, the original Michelin's on a 12 year old van, I think they were 13 years old. No cracks you could see and plenty of tread depth. Except they had sort of fossilized, the tread was concrete hard, they were useless on grass and braking was poor. New tyres really made a difference to all aspects of the handling.

Due to a lack of miles most motorhome tyres will be out of time while they still look new. Plus they do a lot of standing at full-on axle weights so it's important that pressures are maintained even when not in use. I wouldn't buy a tyre more than a year old and have normally sold a van before they get to 7 years old which would be my limit.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
On my way to work this morning I helped a motorhomer Chang a wheel had his tyres changed on Friday after reading.
All that crap abut tyres over five years
The tyer suferd tyer belt separation after only a 500 miles
Front off side at 40mph
I will change my tyres when they were out
Regular off the rim Ispection and proper tyer inflation
Gives me pice of mind
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!