Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
On clearing out old files on my computer today, I found a copy of an article don't know who by or from where it came stating, if you wanted to increase the battery capacity it was better to connect two 6volt batteries in series rather than two 12volt in parallel. From what this article said you would get better charging, as the two 6volt batteries are acting as one very large 12volt. Interesting but I don't know enough about battery technology to be able to answer myself.
Can anyone out there supply an answer?

Thanks in advance.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You will im sure get the definitive answer soon but for now
I belive its all to do with halving the volts actually doubles the amps:whatthe:
sods law or somthing
we need a sparky:RollEyes:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: The Yanks go for them Big Time. I'm quite happy with cheapo 12 volts. IMH&HO. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
I can't see it wuld make any difference ::bigsmile:

2 x 6v 80A/hr in series gives you 1 x 12v 80 A/hr battery

2 x 12v 40 A/hr batteries in parallel gives you 1 x 12v 80 A/hr battery.

At least it did when I was at college :ROFLMAO:There are some minor technicalities to consider like thickness of cables etc. but as a rule of thumb the above is true enough.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
its to do with the plates in the battery being thicker so they hold the charge better and for longer, weight and size is the problem as they are larger and heavier than our 12v batteries, but 2 6v golf cart batteries will give approx 390amp hours compared to 2 12v 110 giving 220ah

maggie

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
its to do with the plates in the battery being thicker so they hold the charge better and for longer, weight and size is the problem as they are larger and heavier than our 12v batteries, but 2 6v golf cart batteries will give approx 390amp hours compared to 2 12v 110 giving 220ah

:Cool: I was goi ng to mention the thickness of the plates. They are usually used in Golf Carts and Old Fogey quads/trikes. :RollEyes:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
For the same ampere hours, if you could get it all in one 12 volt battery, there would be no difference - a 12 volt battery has two 6 volt batteries in series inside it.

BUT for the same ampere hours, if it is going to take two batteries to do it because of size, weight, availability, etc., then rather than two 12 volt in parallel you are better off with two 6 volt in series.

Why is that you ask?

Because batteries in parallel, even if twins from the same manufacturer''s batch, will never be exactly identical, so one will always be a little weaker than the other and when charging ceases, the weaker one will discharge, or steal some of the charge from the stronger one through the parallel connection. This may be minor when they are new but as they age, the problem will get worse.

On the other hand, batteries in series can''t discharge into each other, so for that particular setup, the pair of 6 volt will be better.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
as i live on the edge of a golf course i wonder what the penalty/prison term would be if i knock some old duffer of his golf cart into a bunker and nick his batteries:RollEyes:

ÂŁ50 fine for a couple of hundred quids worth of batteries:winky:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Pappajohn. Really:Eeek:
We look to you to set an example on this forum :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

maggie
:thumb::thumb:There you go who needs a sparks when we have our Maggie:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back