6 berths and 6 belts needed....help!! (1 Viewer)

4boysjoppa

Free Member
Jul 22, 2013
Joppa edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
New to it
Hello all,
We are a couple in edinburgh with 4 boys ages 2, twins at 4, and eldest aged 9, and we are hoping to buy a 6 berth motorhome to travel round france and Italy next summer.
We tested out a swift escape 696 with rear bunks for a long weekend in may this year and we all loved it......
Our main issue is finding a similar van that will sleep us all and has4 rear 3 point belts for the kids, at a price we can afford......
I have looked at at some other models eg. Chausson flash and rollerteam 707 but to get ones that have three point belts for 4 kids seems to be hard...
We are hoping( or maybe dreaming?!?!?!) of spending around £18-25,000 on the van we choose next year but I don't know if such a model and make exists at an age that we can afford........
Any wise words to point us in the right direction would be SO much appreciated as I am getting brain-freeze from dealer websites......!
Thanks if anyone can help at all
Mark

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi why not have a look at the elddis 180 its a six berth with mid dinette and rear lounge. Also think swift do one may be the 690 or something like that.

We had an elddis for 4 years and they are similar spec to the swift escape you mention. Have a good look round I'm sure you will find one within your budget.

Welcome to fun

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We have the same issue, 4 children with 3 under 8yrs. The first van had only 2 x 3 point belts (forward facing) and the rear facing were both lap belts that we didn't like.

Finding a 6 belted van is hard already and one with 4 x 3 points will be very very tough, and then there's the weight.....

We ended up with 4 x 3 point seat belts but it was difficult to find and we had to pay for it:whatthe:

Upvote 0
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have yet to see any with 4 three point belts. Because of the regulations regarding fixing points it would be difficult to site them on seats backing onto the driver and passenger ones. I would recommend the bunk bed models any time. We have the Autoroller 707 and are very pleased with it. ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
They are out there BUT very rare, especially on vans within your budget..
It would have been an optional extra from the factory ordered at build..

The Autotrail scout, apache 700, suntor 630l and other have overghead bed, dinette and rear lounge.

However be aware of your weight, you will need a good payload for 6 people and their stuff, kids can take more than adults.. Good luck with your search...

*** I withdraw my remark about being rare.. They seem easy to find !! *** lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SilverF1

Free Member
Nov 14, 2010
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
7 years and upwards
A Hymer C622 has 6 belted seats, 4 on the dinette seats and obviously the seats up front. Overhead double drop-down bed in the Luton, dinette converts to a small double, i.e.perfect if your less than 5ft 6in tall, too good sized bunks in the rear, transverse above the garage locker. We used to have one. They were around 40k new in 2007 and, I think, no longer produced after 2008. Base vehicle was a transit 2.2 litre turbo-diesel, front wheel drive and 26-30mpg depending on driving style. No idea what the current second-hand price might be. Good payload.

Drawbacks? Dinette only seats four and front seats don't swivel on earlier models. Swivel on driver's seat on later models.

HTH

Upvote 0
OP
OP

4boysjoppa

Free Member
Jul 22, 2013
Joppa edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
New to it
They are out there BUT very rare, especially on vans within your budget..
It would have been an optional extra from the factory ordered at build..

The Autotrail scout, apache 700, suntor 630l and other have overghead bed, dinette and rear lounge.

However be aware of your weight, you will need a good payload for 6 people and their stuff, kids can take more than adults.. Good luck with your search...

*** I withdraw my remark about being rare.. They seem easy to find !! *** lol

Tonka, thanks for the help already, it's only been 20 minutes...genius!!

Upvote 0

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
As gerry has already posted, the Elddis Autoquest 180 is a 6 berth model and it does have all 6 belted seats with "3-point passenger seat belts" fitted:thumb:

We have had ours for almost 3 years and have been very happy with it.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Someone has mentioned the swift suntor 630l which is a derivative of the swift sundance 630l. This has the seatbelts you require..

This one is over your budget, but you may be able to negotiate for a 2007 model somewhere at the top end of your budget.

Link Removed

-

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
my CI 181 had 6 belted seats although2 rear facing were lap belts, but still a good van,

Upvote 0
OP
OP

4boysjoppa

Free Member
Jul 22, 2013
Joppa edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
New to it
A Hymer C622 has 6 belted seats, 4 on the dinette seats and obviously the seats up front. Overhead double drop-down bed in the Luton, dinette converts to a small double, i.e.perfect if your less than 5ft 6in tall, too good sized bunks in the rear, transverse above the garage locker. We used to have one. They were around 40k new in 2007 and, I think, no longer produced after 2008. Base vehicle was a transit 2.2 litre turbo-diesel, front wheel drive and 26-30mpg depending on driving style. No idea what the current second-hand price might be. Good payload.

Drawbacks? Dinette only seats four and front seats don't swivel on earlier models. Swivel on driver's seat on later models.

HTH
Hi silverF1, and thanks for the tip,will look one up
Another issue...I am 6ft4........:Doh:

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
As gerry has already posted, the Elddis Autoquest 180 is a 6 berth model and it does have all 6 belted seats with "3-point passenger seat belts" fitted:thumb:

We have had ours for almost 3 years and have been very happy with it.

Broken Link Removed

cant be much payload with six people 3.5tonne van

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Beware the titchy water tanks in some Brit vans, notably the Elddis Autoquests!
Also with 6 on board you will do well to consider a 3.5 tonne plus van. Are you licensed for one?
I would recommend you look carefully at Transit-based Chaussons, Rimors, Roller Teams and Euramobils.

Also don't be seduced by the smooth lines of some vans. You need a box on wheels to maximise interior space, especially in the overcab area!:thumb:

Upvote 0

petensal

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since Sept 2009
We have a Sunlight A69, 6/7 berth with bunk beds, twin dinette and overcab. It has 6 belts although 2 rear facing are lap only.

Transit base, twin rear wheel and 3.85 tonne and should be within your budget.

Also sold under eurostyle name.

Pete

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our Burstner 530 had 6 full seatbelts. For grandchildren use.

It's probably too small for you but look at the bigger ones.

Big problem is comfort, to get 4 rear seat belts the seats are train style. Fine for eating and travel but poor for lounging. So I removed 2 seats and remodelled ours which has been a huge success.

Upvote 0

Kazpaul9

Free Member
Aug 21, 2013
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Bessacar
Exp
6 belts ... 6 berth

We have had the Bessacar 6 berth , it had u shaped lounge at the back , front dinette double bed and over the cab double bed, all usual refinements microwave , toilet with smallish shower. It has been great , just trading it in for the auto trail scout which had all the same but somewhat posher !! :thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Scout !!:thumb:
Just keep a check on your weight as you dont become overloaded and illegal.
They look big vans and payload ia not bad on the scout but you can easily get close or over the limits..

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If the escape is at the original 18 to 25k I might be interested!!!!!!

We have a Chausson flash 3 good value but the rear facing dinette seats have only lap belts.Our kids have now grown up we had a caravan when they were your ages wish we discovered motorhomes sooner

David

Upvote 0

pendy

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
3 yrs
We have the CI Carioca 600g, again 6 belts, 2 are only lap belts, but everythimg else is ideal for sleeping 6 people,my son-in-law sleeps on the overcab bed and he is 6'6" you will find something, people on here will give good advice so take your time::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hello all,
We are a couple in edinburgh with 4 boys ages 2, twins at 4, and eldest aged 9, and we are hoping to buy a 6 berth motorhome to travel round france and Italy next summer.
We tested out a swift escape 696 with rear bunks for a long weekend in may this year and we all loved it......
Our main issue is finding a similar van that will sleep us all and has4 rear 3 point belts for the kids, at a price we can afford......
I have looked at at some other models eg. Chausson flash and rollerteam 707 but to get ones that have three point belts for 4 kids seems to be hard...
We are hoping( or maybe dreaming?!?!?!) of spending around £18-25,000 on the van we choose next year but I don't know if such a model and make exists at an age that we can afford........
Any wise words to point us in the right direction would be SO much appreciated as I am getting brain-freeze from dealer websites......!
Thanks if anyone can help at all
Mark

As everyone is looking for van with seltbelts, which are rare, it can be a lot cheaper to buy one without seatbelts and then retro-fit them, although you'll want someone technical to check over the van before you buy to make sure the required framework can be easily installed.

I echo everyone else in saying that it will be difficult anyway to find a 6 berth under 3500kg that can legally actually have 6 people and their effects inside. You can forget about any bikes before you even start.

Don't buy anything without weighing it first, as it will be tight.

Upvote 0
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We have the swift 630L on our last trip to Germany {june} I weighed it on the free weighbridge at gildersome, nr leeds, we were loaded with full tank fuel, 30 ltrs of water, loungers, chairs, 2 bikes, all the obvious equipment we carry, my wife & myself. we were a half tonne under permitted weight of 4005 kilos, and both axles were under, I was quite surprised, and pleased ::bigsmile:

Eric

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back