5th wheel which one?

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by slverdreamers, Apr 30, 2013.

1. slverdreamers

slverdreamers Read Only Funster

We are considering changing to 5th wheel, looked at some at Calders and going up to Lazy Days to view theirs tomorrow. Which ones are considered the best, realise it is quite subjective, but not layout so much as quality. advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

You may get better responce if you asked the question on our Sister Site http://www.rvoc.co.uk/forum/

There are some 5th wheel members on here,,, but there are a few on th RVOC site, and some full timers in 5th wheels...

Same friendly banter and information, but a dedicated site to RV`s/5th Wheel and yank trucks.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

If not already, have a look at Cross Country RV - we purchased ours from them three years ago, can't fault the service and the quality of the 5th wheel we bought was second to none (Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite - 8028WS). It is lightweight and can be towed with a european truck or 1500 yank truck. We lived in ours and didn't want one too big and to get us sufficient storage to live in, we chose the model 28 which is actually 30 feet long, he's selling them for about £30k new - he does have a secondhand one (a couple of years old, I believe) like ours at the moment complete with a Ford 1500 yank truck for a total of £34,000 (it was on display at the Peterborough Motorhome Show). Give them a ring, he has a few coming in from the States - new and 2nd hand.

If you find one in the States you like he might even be prepared to import it for you - he also does the conversion as well to meet British Standards.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Nigel and Pamala

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

how about this one. ebay 261206941865
    Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.
    seems ok on price.

5. Kasey

Kasey Read Only Funster

All down to personal choice really. We looked at the ones specifically made for or in UK so looked at the Calder ones and those by the Fifth Wheel Company in Wales. The Welsh ones are very well engineered and high spec but we could not justify (to ourselves) the extra cost for one of these over the Kountrylites sold by Calder. WE felt the Kountrylites offered better value for money, so went with one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi. have a think how much you are going to be using it . mine is a twenty foot trailer .i do go away most winters towing it around europe and morocco , i wouyldnt really want one much longer . i think 26ft is sensible for towing in the streets in town and country roads .
    i also drive 40ft artics for aliving so its not that i,m not used to long trailers .
    but for ease of use and having a pleashant journey dont go too big .
    also i think 7ft 6ins is a good width . go wider and it makes getting caught in narrow streets more difficult .
    i hardly ever use sites and do take small roads to get to the quiet places to stay.
    its easy to buy big but is it wise ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. mikeman

mikeman Read Only Funster

I bought a Calder 26RK and have been fulltiming for 2 years in it. One thing to remember is you will need some support from your supplier at some stage and Calder's are very good at after sales service.
    Mike

8. Rustie

Rustie Read Only Funster

Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8280WS

Hi there - we've got the Rockwood Signature Ultralite and a Ford F150 - been travelling for 6 months now and its fabulous...
    My blog is here - lots of info about the 5ver, campsites and our adventures...feel free to ask any questions!

www.rustiesootravel.com

9. Suse

Suse

Eurocruiser 5vers

Hi has anyone an opinion on the Eurocruiser range of fifth wheels please?

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Calders are nice people to deal with:thumb:

Good luck with your search

Peter

11. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

12. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

dont know if this might help, but a garage near me in doncaster has anallmight big ford pickup for sale, on a 55 plate, It would seem an ideal tow car for a 5er

13. vwalan

vwalan Funster

not really ideal at all .just big and poor turning circle . plus a great big bonnet sticking out the front . best is a flat fronted cab over . the truck world realized this years ago . you can have a comfy 7 seater and still fit it in to a supermarket car space . if you want 4x4 they are available as well .
    do you think i,m biased .ha ha .

14. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

not at all:Rofl1:

15. Merle

Merle Funster

You, biased Alan......never:Wink: Never known you to push 5ers in the time I've known you:RollEyes: