Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
looking for one
Exp
hello everyone.
my name is glenn and only just joined this site! i'm after some advice regarding which one to go for a motor home or 5th wheel trailer and pick up!!

my intentions or to live in either full time, recently seperated from my wife and don't want to join the rat race of renting someone else's property.. i have already found somewhere to site it, its now just a case of which one?? any help would be much appreciated!
thanks...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jimbobs and welcome.

if its not going to be a largish american motorhome (RV) then a fifth wheel will be better than a European motorhome for full timing.

you will need as much room as possible to avoid cabin fever....not so important for touring but for full time living its a must.

americans have the advantage of much larger black, grey and fresh water tanks than eurobox tanks so far less time taken dumping water.
same goes for LPG...an under slung tank will hold many time what a gas bottle will, so less refilling/bottle changing.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
First of all, welcome to the site. ::bigsmile:

I am no expert, but if you are going to "site" your new home it sounds like you are not going to move far, if at all. So you will probably need another means of transport for shopping trips, commuting to work etc.
The 5th wheel option would give you the freedom to move around and have a vehicle for other duties.
You could have a MH and a small car and either tow the car behind the MH or leave it on site when you feel like a wander.
Without knowing your precise position (which I don't think is any of my business) it is difficult to give an opinion one way or the other.

Best of luck whatever you decide. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no choice really get a mini artic . much better than a m,home or a normal 5er.
ideally trailer under 3500kg gvw . truck over 3500kg ideal .
depends on your age and when you passed your car test really .
one tax fairly cheap insurance . use the unit as a car.
look for mitsubishi ,isuzi, iveco daily , possible vw /merc sprinter.
dont have to be enormous mine fits in a cars space.
plus you get cheap crossings on ferries as a car and caravan.
hope that helps .cheers alan.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Jimbobs and welcome.
you will need as much room as possible to avoid cabin fever....not so important for touring but for full time living its a must.

Have to disagree with you there sorry, Not a must.

I live in a fiat Ducato panel van and have done for the last 2 years. It's living space is 3.5Mtr by 2Mtr and I'm not suffering Cabin fever:winky:

I know a number of people who fulltime in B544 and B584 type vans and these are just under 6mtrs in size. Those are couples so for a solo fulltimer it is quite luxurious and they can fit in supermarket car parking spots:thumb:

Each person is different. I think he would be better making a list of what he wants from the vehicle and that will direct him to which end of the compromise scale he wants to go.
(panel van, small euro) Maneuverability <-----------------------> Living Space (RV, 5th Wheel, mini Artic)

I love my little van as I can pack it up within 5 minutes and be off. I don't have to plan my routes to ensure there are no sharp turns or narrow bits that my vehicle can't navigate. I am all the way to the left of the above scale. I have practically no living space but the convenience of going anywhere with my home on my back is worth it.

I am now looking to get something with a double bed and space for 2 people and I will still be looking for something as small as possible. I will be going the old hymer 544 or 584 route....

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am now looking to get something with a double bed and space for 2 people and I will still be looking for something as small as possible. I will be going the old hymer 544 or 584 route....

Have you pulled? ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

I live in a fiat Ducato panel van and have done for the last 2 years. It's living space is 3.5Mtr by 2Mtr and I'm not suffering Cabin fever:winky:

I know a number of people who fulltime in B544 and B584 type vans and these are just under 6mtrs in size. Those are couples so for a solo fulltimer it is quite luxurious and they can fit in supermarket car parking spots:thumb:

Each person is different. I think he would be better making a list of what he wants from the vehicle and that will direct him to which end of the compromise scale he wants to go.
(panel van, small euro) Maneuverability <-----------------------> Living Space (RV, 5th Wheel, mini Artic)

I love my little van as I can pack it up within 5 minutes and be off. I don't have to plan my routes to ensure there are no sharp turns or narrow bits that my vehicle can't navigate. I am all the way to the left of the above scale. I have practically no living space but the convenience of going anywhere with my home on my back is worth it.

Agreed....I get cabin fever in our four bedroom house.
and i'm biased :roflmto:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Agreed....I get cabin fever in our four bedroom house.
and i'm biased :roflmto:

I get it when in a house as well. I can't imagine ever living in a house again.. Stuck in one place all the time >shudders<

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Stuck in one place all the time >shudders<

Having to move every 28days >shudders<

To answer the OP

Look no further than what our travelling friends use.. they have donkeys years experience ..

Tranny flat bed and an LMC caravan:winky:

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
depends a lot on budget, give us a clue

<10g
>10g
>15g
>20g
>25g

There’s quite a few big RV's around a good money, buy wisely and the drop will be less (but they will drop), people cant sell them, 5ers are getting more popular so the price will reflect that, sub £15g Vans are imo less value as they are in more peoples price range and as such tend to hold the value....
so if you have around £25 grand to spare you can buy a stunner and get a huge amount of kit for your money , look on eBay and watch loads of different types of van to see what sells and what dosnt.

There’s one Id buy if I had the spare mulla

As other people have said, if you’re moving about al the time that’s a different kettle of fish, but if you can stay put for a guarantied period big is better.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
getting a 5er can be very cheap .there was a nice fleetwood going near paignton recently for about 5 grand . fleetwood road runner .quite liked it myself.
easy get a modern pick up to pull it.
very often there are mini artic set ups going reasonable on ebay.
to be honest i paid 1650 for mine with the vw lt50 pulling it . converted the trailer and was on the road for less than 8grand .that was 12 yrs ago.
get the right set up and you can be made for life .
cant lose anything if you get it right .
forget fancy go for reliability and practicality .

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you're on a site and not moving much I'd recommend a trailer caravan, much cheaper and can be as big as a fiver.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
trouble with normal trailers is the hitch .makes for long tows or space wasted when parked .
the overlap on 5ers etc makes for a compact tow rig and better manouverability. plus much more stable .
with removable screens around the neck you get a built in shed as well.

OP
OP
J

jimbobs

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
looking for one
Exp
5th wheeler or motorhome??

thanks for all your replies, just a little update, the site i will be useing will be a base near to my work place. "not as fortunate as some of you who have retired" :Sad: i will be doing the odd bit of travelling now and then but not to frequent!!
my budget is roughly 20-23k. also if it was to be a motorhome it would preferably be an american rv, recently lived in a 19' touring van for six months and yes i did get cabin fever!!

oh forgot to add, i have a class1 hgv licence if tha twould helpin any way??

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
well in that case you need to look here
Link Removed
might need to not use the genny at night.
dont all rush ,i believe this one went to the saudi king or something.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I am biased and preffer an A class RV but as others have said we are all different......with your budget you should be able to find either a fiver or RV to suit.

All the best Rick

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rick i know a man that could give you training to drive that rig, ha ha.
lives in leicester . hee hee .
not sure it may be one of those silent gennies .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi you sound like you are not going to be moving much so I would go for a caravan :Eeek: cannot believe I said that :Doh:::bigsmile: Motorhomes are for moving around in :winky:A big yank RV will give you a lot of bang for your buck ::bigsmile:(room )while a euro will probably cost more for a bigger one :Smile:You can pick up some almost new yanks that have very little mileage cheaply -indeed Old Mo on here has a 2007 -17k miles -30 ft LPG converted 3 slide out for 29 k now that has to be a bargain :thumb: At present there are quite a few yanks for sale (ebay)but not many actually selling simply because people don't want to get 10 mpg (about 18 ish with LPG) WITH FUEL PRICES THE WAY THEY ARE ::bigsmile:People who full time and don't move like the room but people who full time and move around a lot tend to go for a larger type euro van :Smile:
terry

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
If I had a site I'd go for a 5th wheel or a caravan. (caravan first choice, cheaper and easier to sell if you sort out your differences or meet a perfect partner, like me! ::bigsmile:) If I wanted to move about regularly, a M/H, (as an HGV driver, a waste of money as you'll always be at work, or sleeping) odd trips out, a caravan. Resale values on 5th wheel may be a limited market. Cabin fever for a HGV driver? You don't do enough nights out!

Hope all works out for you.

Gran & Rog

Free Member
Apr 17, 2011
Lofthouse, Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Eight years
We have a fifth wheel and love it (now its put right!!), just be careful who you purchase from unlike us we found out way too late:Doh:

Good luck in your search

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

yeah but we have got to know you grommit:cry:
not that your set up is for every one :Eeek:

the guy does not give any indication of price range and that will affect what he can have more than any thing

me i live in 27 foot x 8
all mod cons and whistles

i am not crazy yet lol:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Jimbobs clearly stated his budget is £20-£23k.:RollEyes: