5th wheel for the UK (1 Viewer)

mickey 1071

Free Member
Jul 28, 2010
Funster No
Hi everybody. Bit of background. Lived in the states for 20 yrs and thinking of coming home, travel to Europe etc. Lots of questions so please bear with me. Also totally new to RVing. It looks like the cost of 5thwheels are a hell of a sight cheaper here than in Europe. So we were considering importing one from the good ole USA.depending on shipping, import tax etc.
Problems pop up though.
Licence for , say a 32ft-35ft. Regular or HGV? Any width or length restrictions?
Voltage. All our stuff is still running Mickey Mouse 110 volts. I think I could probably install an inverter? Water, waste disposal couplers, are they compatible?
I know its a list but any and all help is greatly appreciated. As I said we are totally new to this and are thinking of living in this RV as apposed to using it for vacation.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
There are quite a few 5'ers over here - mostly of American origin. If you held a UK license - and I guess kept it to up to date - that allows you to drive a 7.5 tonne lorry then you would be able to pull a 'Euro' sized unit with a Euro type pickup - we did a fair bit of research before we bought and ended up with a USA made unit that was made for the Australian market so had the doors on the right side for UK. We pull with a Land Rover that allows us to work comfortably within the law - most have a 110/220 converter installed with UK 13amp sockets but a lead through @ 110 for the Fridge freezer all other connections are easy conversion - on the road we are 6.2 to 6.5 tonnes and 38ft overall the 5'er is 27ft - we dont have any issues in getting about and can get into most campsites without any problems exept possibly the warden:Angry: Anything over this you will have to use a larger tug and possibly get HGV and have access issues on some sites - which ever size you go for suggest you consider looking at www.the-big-pitch-guide.com which gives a good range of campsites for the larger unit in both UK and Europe

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back