5th Wheel Brakes

Discussion in 'Fifth Wheelers' started by andynkim, May 8, 2010.

1. andynkim

andynkim Funster

Hi All
    I have a dragging brake on my 5th wheel, on checking it out the Magnet is totally cooked and had jammed the brake on so the question is where can I buy a new brake magnet?

I have not checked the other 3 yet but I suspect someone used the electric over run switch as a handbrake or there brake controller was not working properly.

Cheers All

Andy.

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    connect the magnet and place a compass next to the wheel ---if it goes a bit scatty---you know it works.
    If the magnet is off the wheel (or brakedrum off) it will be easy to place a small piece of steel on it.
    You will need to know the make of brake (although I think they will have the same magnets) and the colour of the feed wire, this tells the 'power' of the magnet.
    Do a search for Al-ko brakes ----my brain has left me---I can't remember the make of most brakes/axles. Do a Google search for RV electric brake parts.
    Try STT---but I probably bought their last magnets !!!!!!!!
    Don't be afraid to order direct from US if you can't get them here, You should receive them within a week, only fit in axle sets, they will not be expensive (depending on current exchange rates !!!)
    Nigel

3. Sundowners

Hi again
    I just re-read your post, it sounds like the controller was not wired correctly, or was set up wrong.
    If you don't have the instructions to set yours up---Google it and download it.
    If you have to replace the brake-drum, the shipping will cost loads but the drum is cheap.
    I think I bought mine direct from Al-Ko in US
    Nigel
    DEXTER axels is the main axle/brake Co.

4. andynkim

andynkim Funster

Cheers Nigel
    The magnet still works in as much as it magnetises when power is applied , I have bought from the states before so will have a look. they are ALKO hubs with GREEN wires on the magets.

I will have a look at the other 3 hubs and if they are OK then perhaps this brake seized on for some other reason and thats what cooked the magnet.

Thanks again

Andy.

5. Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel Read Only Funster

6. Sundowners

Hi
    IF--I remember correctly-----there is a return spring fitted to the assembly, I assume this is intact and fitted ???
    Nigel

7. andynkim

andynkim Funster

Hi
    I will be taking both drums off the same side at the weekend and will compare.

Cheers all

Andy.