5th Gear (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Re. swarf: fit a magnet to the drain plug. It's a good idea anyway but essential if you have had a bearing or gear failure. I have used Molyslip products in everything I've owned. It's not snake oil and molybdenum disulphide greases and oils are used wherever the cost can be justified (in highly-loaded assemblies - CV joints are an obvious example). You can choose to use it in less essential areas where it will prolong the life of components. It is available as an engine oil additive and as a gear oil additive. I use the gear oil additive in gearboxes, PAS, steering racks etc. Anything with this additive included becomes noticeably quieter and smoother. It will stay on bearing surfaces and lubricate them before oil has a chance to get there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

anthony whitstable

Free Member
Jan 26, 2014
whitstable
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
hi there i have a 2.5d gearbox. which i took out my 1996 peugeot boxer motor home only had done 28000 miles.i had changed engine to a 2.5 tdi and changed box for a higher ratio,bought a newer motor home so its sitting in my shed.ive still got the engine to only kept them as back up, just in case you get stuck. i live in kent
plus i have a 2.5tdi gearbox as well, as it was to much grief in swaping all drive train,
anthony,

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes seen info on past posts however box has no dipstick,(except the driver) have to refill through reverse light switch. will add a little extra oil as recommended thanks.
Are you sure you haven't got a dipstick?? If its the Fiat 2.5, you will have. Not so if its the Merc, but the Merc dosent suffer from 5th gear problems.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back