Brentwood,Essex
Funster No
MH
5er
Exp
2 Years
5er Handbreak

Just out of curiosity,

As I understand it, imported 5ers don't have a hand brake, how is this overcome to comply with UK trailer regs ?

Jim

Hi Jim

The companys that import them to comply with UK spec fit one.Personal Imports I don`t know.

Regards - Chas Baker

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Just out of curiosity,

As I understand it, imported 5ers don't have a hand brake, how is this overcome to comply with UK trailer regs ?

Jim

Hi Jim

I personally imported mine and I got one fitted at the same time as the lights, electrics and gas were being converted. Easy Peasy ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
the brake manufacturers make a back-plate with a parking brake facility, then you fit a cable and lever, usually like a fork truck's,
Nigel

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
the brake manufacturers make a back-plate with a parking brake facility, then you fit a cable and lever
Nigel

Exactly what we had to do on our imported Jayco. Purchased the replacement dexter back plates and fitted the cable and lever. :thumb:

Not used the handbrake yet though, but worth fitting to comply with regs.

Al

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Exactly what we had to do on our imported Jayco. Purchased the replacement dexter back plates and fitted the cable and lever. :thumb:

Not used the handbrake yet though, but worth fitting to comply with regs.

Al

I know what you mean ..........mine has a pretty red handle :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I may try it soon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regulations.....don't we just love them ::bigsmile:

Rob

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just to say thanks for all the informative replies.. :thumb:

That's what I like about forums.. always someone, or in this case many, who know the answer :Cool:

Cheers

Jim

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
the brake manufacturers make a back-plate with a parking brake facility, then you fit a cable and lever, usually like a fork truck's,
Nigel

Looks like i will be importing our 5th wheel and truck

It will be parked at the garage i work for and will be doing the conversions myself.

Anyone got a link to where i can get such backplates etc ,i believe mine are Al-Ko axles with electric braking

I also got the SVA for the truck sorted ,it will go for IVA which is for imported HGV,s and trailers etc that way i can keep the truck at its maximum GVW

Ian

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Looks like i will be importing our 5th wheel and truck
It will be parked at the garage i work for and will be doing the conversions myself.
Anyone got a link to where i can get such backplates etc ,i believe mine are Al-Ko axles with electric braking
I also got the SVA for the truck sorted ,it will go for IVA which is for imported HGV,s and trailers etc that way i can keep the truck at its maximum GVW
Ian

See my reply on RVFORUM.NET:thumb:

ps. You sure they're AlKO and not Dexter?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
A handbrake on a 5'er is a legal requirement in the UK and if stopped in a VOSA check you seriously risk a prohibition on the trailer until fitted which may then mean recovery by low loader and no further use until not only fitted but passed by a VOSA inspector to remove the prohibition - continued use with a prohibition on it risks fines and confiscation - worth the few quid to fit one - incidently I alway put the handbrake on when dropping the trailer and only take it off after we have hitched up. Incidently one or two people have questioned the use of an electric handbrake on a 5'er as I read it on a trailer it must be a independent mechanical system of application so whilst its operation could be engaged or disengaged by means of electric it should be capable of keeping the brakes applied without electric. Cheaper and simpler to use a basic handbrake kit I should have thought

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Zaskar
They well may be dexter ,i might be getting confusedwith the travel trailer brakes and i wont know till i get it over here .

Landylover
i am fully aware of prohibitions given by VOSA ,as a job i recover prohibited light vehicles daily and after speaking with VWAlan it seems my 5th wheel will need an mot anyway.
The electric brakes dont work as a handbrake and if you tried you burn out the breakaway switch and flatten the battery as i found out (faulty switch)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Landylover
i am fully aware of prohibitions given by VOSA ,as a job i recover prohibited light vehicles daily and after speaking with VWAlan it seems my 5th wheel will need an mot anyway.
The electric brakes dont work as a handbrake and if you tried you burn out the breakaway switch and flatten the battery as i found out (faulty switch)

Exactly the problem - some unscrupulous importers are tryng to say that you can fit a switch in the system as a handbrake. If you do that you will destroy the braking system - The point I was making though is I think you will find a separate system that applies in the way of a modern car ie switching the brake on or off by electronic means but not holding it on by electric means would be acceptable to VOSA but personally I cannot see the benefit over a basic mechanical system.

MOTs on trailers appear to me to be a minefield as there are as many grey areas with this as there is with what license do you need to drive an RV over 7.5 tonnes:Eeek:

Last edited:

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
Landylover
I drive for a living so i rather be legal if i get stopped by Vosa rather than drive in the grey area which some are happy to do.Thats why i am going to take my hgv class 1 test.

The way i see it the only way to go is cables and brake lever,i can lay my hands on the parts to make it work (full hgv workshop facilities ) but would rather buy the proper conversion if possible.

Only yesterday i recovered a 09 plate Range Rover with the push button parking brake,that got the old grey matter thinking

Ian & Doreen

Deleted User
Many people seem to have differing opinions on this and many other aspects of running fifth wheel imported trailers.
I own a unit imported and modified by Calder Leisure and is not fitted with a parking brake that operates via the service brake mechanism. I do however have a device that expands between the tyres and is mechanically locked in place. Calder Leisure have assured me that this fulfills the legal requirements, my own research, which I shall detail in a moment, seems to back this up.
First quote is from a DOT factsheet - American Caravan/Trailer up to 3500kg Brakes

5. Parking brakes
American caravans/trailers do not always have a parking brake. European requirements demand that a caravan/trailer must be fitted with a parking brake that is capable of holding the vehicle stationary on an 18 per cent up or down gradient. Also, the working parts must be held in the locked position by a purely mechanical device

Second quote from EC directive referred to in above factsheet.

2.1.2.3. Parking braking system
The parking braking system shall enable the vehicle to be held
stationary on an up or down gradient even in the absence of the
driver, the working partsbeing then held in the locked position
by a purely mechanical device. The driver shall be able to
achieve this braking action from his driving seat, subject, in the
case of a trailer, to the requirements of point 2.2.2.10.

2.2.2.10. On every trailer which isrequired to be fitted with a service
braking system, parking braking shall be ensured even when the
trailer is separated from the towing vehicle. It shall be possible
for a person standing on the ground to actuate the parking
braking system;

As far as I can see the device that I am using fulfills all the above requirements for my trailer which is below 3500kg.

However things change somewhat for vehicles over 3500kg for this particular requirement and many others not the least of which is the requirement for MOT testing, presumably this also means a VOSA plate and testing at one of their testing stations.

Whilst we are washing our dirty linen in public, so to speak, I will raise the subject of the correct driving licence. I will not go into too many details, but I have looked at the relevent DVLA web sites, and as far as I can see anyone towing an 8' wide trailer with a towing unit over 3500kg would need a class C+E licence.I believe many people have imported pickups downrated to less than 3500kg to avoid other legislation, this would then limit the trailer to 7'6".

I do not claim to be an expert on these matters and am open to correction by anyone who can back up their arguments with facts but 'facts' are vert difficult to come by, below is the disclaimer used by the DVLA.

"However while this is our understanding of the meaning of the regulations, it is only the courts which can reach a definitive interpretation of the law."

I shall look forward with interest to others comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Hi you state I own a unit imported and modified by Calder Leisure and is not fitted with a parking brake that operates via the service brake mechanism. I do however have a device that expands between the tyres and is mechanically locked in place. Calder Leisure have assured me that this fulfills the legal requirements, my own research, which I shall detail in a moment, seems to back this up. And then quote the regs as American caravans/trailers do not always have a parking brake. European requirements demand that a caravan/trailer must be fitted with a parking brake that is capable of holding the vehicle stationary on an 18 per cent up or down gradient. Also, the working parts must be held in the locked position by a purely mechanical device

Whilst I can see where you are coming from I believe that if you are stopped in a roadside check you will find that your device is classified as a security system and could not be used as a handbrake as is not a permanant fixture to the trailer if you look a the regulations you have quoted it is within that European requirements demand that a caravan/trailer must be fitted with a parking brake - whilst I doubt you ever would you could leave that device behind at which time you could not use it when required.

Before I bought a 5'er I studied the regs in great detail as like most people I do not want to fall foul of the law I therefore discussed with Police - VOSA - DVLA - and our local ministry testing station the implications of a 5'er the VOSA guys said the first thing they look for is a handbrake - they know roughly most of the other things will comply except possibly weight and tyres.

Personally I would not be happy without a visible handbrake fitted

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
as to the licencing it does all depend on the unladen weight of the tow unit .also the total train weight.
mine weighs less than 3ton ,originally had a train of 9.8 ton. i voluntary drop the train to8.25 that allows c1+e drivers to drive it. .
as i have said before if the tow unit is under 3.500kg gvw you can tow with out a weight restriction .only the train weight of tow unit restricts. underb+e category. this can well exceed 8.250kg.
my interpretation having discussed this with vosa is that the expanding chock will not cover the handbrake requirement. it only covers the requirement of parked trailer to be chocked ,braked or chained to stop it rolling.
The handbrake should be a permenant fitting fixed to the vehicle .not something that can be removed quite as easy as a chock. I can only say discuss it with vosa yourselfas i have.
I also take the view that allmost all the dealers are lieing cheating rogues.
I would love to see this chock device being used at a ministry test station and see and hear their views.
you also have to remember that most fifth wheel trailers are not true articulated vehicles .to be an articulated vehicle minumum of 20 percent of the uniformally loaded trailer must super impose on the towing unit.
i suggest contact with swansea dvla and talk with your traffic area office. IN cornwall we use the bristol office on 08706060440

Deleted User
I will try and put my interpretation of the various points raised, though as I have already stated I am not an expert and it is up to individuals to make there own minds up and assess any risks involved.

Landy lover makes a good point as regards a "fitted parking brake", my device is fixed and stored in the gas locker by a cable long enough to reach between the tyres. I don't know for certain if this will satisfy the regulations but my belief is that it does.
I don't want to get involved with licensing issues, they don't really concern me, this is an issue for individuals but seems to me to be a contenscious area, especially regarding the larger imported pickups and trailers.

I will try and reply to vwalan's points individually.

"my interpretation having discussed this with vosa is that the expanding chock will not cover the handbrake requirement. it only covers the requirement of parked trailer to be chocked ,braked or chained to stop it rolling.
The handbrake should be a permenant fitting fixed to the vehicle .not something that can be removed quite as easy as a chock. I can only say discuss it with vosa yourselfas i have."

I believe I have dealt with the matter of permanent fitting above. As far as regards discussing this with VOSA, I have dealt with VOSA for 25 years and have no intention of putting my head into the lions mouth to see if it will bite, if bitten at a later date I will sort things out, it won't be the end of the world.

"I also take the view that allmost all the dealers are lieing cheating rogues."

I would be interested in hearing the reaction of Alex Sutherland at Calder Leisure to that remark.

"I would love to see this chock device being used at a ministry test station and see and hear their views."

Trailers under 3500 kg are not required to be tested, I know this device would not be suitable for trailers over this weght which many imported fifth wheelers are.

"you also have to remember that most fifth wheel trailers are not true articulated vehicles .to be an articulated vehicle minumum of 20 percent of the uniformally loaded trailer must super impose on the towing unit."

I fail to see the relevence of this,' articulated vehicles' disappeared as a separate licensing class in 1997 when the current driver licensing regulations were introduced. The definition of a 'semi trailer' according to EC regs is:
" 1.16. ‘Semi - t rai ler ’
means a towed vehicle in which the axle(s) is (are) positioned
behind the centre of gravity of the vehicle (when uniformly
loaded) and which isequipped with a connecting device permitting
horizontal and vertical forcesto be transmitted to the towing
vehicle.
which I believe is what fifth wheel caravan trailers are.

I am not trying to contradict anyone and as I have said previously I am not an expert but have carefully looked at the regulations, made my own decisions,and have now made them known . It is for individuals to make their own minds up as to the risks involved. I do not believe this is a safety issue, that would be totally different matter and I would never compromise myself or anyone else on a matter of safety.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Handbrake

Hi
When I ordered my 5er from Calder I insisted on a handbrake being fitted after going through the "regs" as quoted so far. Calder fitted one. I have not even used it yet I just use chocks. I don't think that Alex will fit one as standard as he believes that chocks or wheel clamps are enough for the law as it stands. But it now may well be an option as his new demo units do not have them.
Jk

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, there is no differance to the braking regs as to the mot break offpoint . all trailers over 750kg need brakes. for vehicles over 750kg the rules go back to ist january 1968.a chock is a chock the handbrake must be fixed to the vehicle not a removable chock. when i build vehicles i talk with vosa to make sure i build to the regs. their job is to discuss any
construction details we want to know about to ensure safe vehicles. always taik to them .
articulated vehicles did not disapear. they have a driving licence catagory. c+e as a restriction 102 for drawbar trailers only.
as to the small mini artics like mine they have always been around.
Mine was originally built in 1987.
i recomend anybody with questons to visit or talk to their local vosa people they are the enforcers of the regs so it makes sense to build what they want.
when i build a vehicle i will and have stood in courts to verify the regulations and actually have a very good relationship with my local vosa and dvla office .vehicle inspection was a monthly occurance when we were in full swing in the garage.now they visit my house where i frequently build expedition vehicles for friends.
another good source of information in uk is lynton trailers in manchester or vipex trailers ,both have been building trailers articulated or drawbar for years.

Last edited:

Deleted User
hi, there is no differance to the braking regs as to the mot break off oint . all trailers over 750kg nee brakes. for vehivclesover 750kg the rules go back to istjanuary 1968.a chock is a chock the handbrake must be fixed to the vehicle not a removanble chock. when i build vehicles i talk with vosa to makesure i build to the regs. their job is to discuss any co
nstruction details we want to know about to ensure safe vehicles. always taik to them .
articulated vehicles did not disapear. they have a driving licence catagory. c+e as a restriction 102 for drawbar trailers only.
as to the small mini atrics like mine they have always been around.
Mine was originally built in 1987.
i recomend anybody with questons to visit or talk to their local vosa people they are th enforcers of thr regs so it makes sense to build what they want.
when i build a vehicle i will and have stood in courts to verify the regulations and actually have a very good relationship with my local vosa and dvla office .vehicle inspection was a monthly occurance when we were in full swing in the garage.now they visit my house where i frequently build expedition vehicles for friends.
another good source of information in uk is lynton trailers in manchester or vipex trailers ,both have been building trailers articulated or drawbar for years.

I do not want, or see any point in, arguing these points except to say that most 5er owners are not in the business of constructing vehicles and having to get them type approved etc. We buy a vehicle from a reputable dealer, who in my case have their own contacts with VOSA, and to a point trust what they are selling is road legal.
It seems to me that in this country we suffer from an abundance of updated legislation without proper consolidation of the old legislation. As far as restriction 102 to a C+E licence is concerned my understanding is that this was granted to class 2 & 3 HGV licence holders who could previously drive vehicles with drawbar trailers in order that they could continue to drive this type of vehicle when the C&E category was introduced that did not differentiate between 'articulated' semi trailers and other trailers.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
unfortunately there is no type approval for caravans only the trucks that pull them. you can build your own there is no problems. it must complie with construction and use requirements . many dont thats imported ,thats why vosa are monitering the situation regarding 5ers and rv,s that are being imported and dont fit the rules . many have slipped through the system .if and when the owners are brought to court see how they will squeal i didnt know. length, width, weight is very simple to understand. as is the braking requirements.
I actually spoke to dvla about the licencing requirements while answering a thread on the rv owner site this week. if i want answers i ask the ones who enforce. I do try to help those that are afraid to ring the authorities themselves. i would not like to think someone is leaving themselves open to being took to court. avoidance is better.
i always say get it right then you can give them abit of grief if they stop you.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
It seems to me that in this country we suffer from an abundance of updated legislation without proper consolidation of the old legislation.

Hi Matamoros - I would agree with you on that point whole heartedly - in conclusion on the handbrake issue I would state caveat emptor the legal term for Buyer beware and quote 'Under the doctrine of caveat emptor, the buyer could not recover from the seller for defects on the property that rendered the property unfit for ordinary purposes. The only exception is if the seller actively concealed latent defects.Under the doctrine of caveat emptor, the buyer could not recover from the seller for defects on the property that rendered the property unfit for ordinary purposes. The only exception was if the seller actively concealed latent defects. Which I think you will find means that having bought the 5'er you would have no recourse to the seller for retrofitting of the handbrake , fines , prohibitions, recovery etc and all costs would be borne by you - if you think about it whoever advised you is playing with your money your property and your license with absolutely no risk to themselves.

You also say you have contact with VOSA - you will also appreciate that I have too and as the answers can vary so much I always ask 3 different people the same question if the answer comes back the same each time then its fair to say its right - on the point of handbrake I got the same answer each time I would suggest you phone all the 5th wheel suppliers in the UK and ask if they fit or have fitted a handbrake to the units they supply and I bet you will find there are very few who do not.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They are fitted on units from niche, both 5vers i have had from them have had them on.

maggie

Deleted User
Well Scotjimland are you any wiser?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you pay your money take your choice. so long as you are happy with what you have and can but up a good interpretation if asked . there could be another interpretation to mine and i would hope we are all ok. hope to see you on the road somewhere matamoros. ferry tomorrow off to port today .have fun we will .cheers seeyou all next year cheers alan.

IanH

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
My conclusion is

My 5er is a big one ,way over 3500 kg gross so a handbrake will be fitted to comply with the regulations.It has been done so when i find out what axles i have i will pm you that have done the conversion

My truck is a Dodge dually i believe 5400 kg gross ,it wont be downgraded because i need the full capacity

There is an approval called IVA (independant vehicle approval) for imported HGVs and trailers and that will be the route i will be going.

As i only have a class 2 hgv licence a class 1 test will be on the cards

It will be a few months before i get it all done but i will keep you all posted of my outcome,good or bad

Ian & Doreen

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one thing puzzles me with electric brakes.

i suspect the brakes are applied proportionaly, by electric motors, in relation to the brake pedal.

is there any reason why the brakes cant be held off by motors, much the same away as airbrakes are held off by air pressure, then applied proportionaly under heavy coil spring pressure. ie: springs put brakes on, electric holds them of.
completely failsafe system to me.

that way, if there is no electrical power applied to the motors, the brakes would be on doing away with the need for a handbrake altogether and also the need for a breakaway system.

the only reason i cant think is the current needed to hold the motors off but you would only need power when moving and the engines running to provide power anyway.

if i remember right either Calder or the 5th wheel co fit an airbrake conversion (compressor and receiver tank) to the tow vehicle for the bigger airbraked 5ers....do these also need a seperate handbrake?

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Hi Papajohn - the system on most larger 5'ers that I have come across that use air are a similar system to UK 7.5 tonne lorries ie air over hydraulic so yes you would need a handbrake - the handbrake on 7.5 tonners are air operated via either a single spring chamber operating a cable system or individual spring chambers which are separated to the service brake system -this would be a rather bulky system to have on a 5'er - I would suspect that once the 5'er gets beyond normal stuff would see in the UK ie 40ft triaxle then it would be on full air brake systems - unless things have changed since I was involved with HGV's even full airbrake system trailers still have a handbrake somewhere about for emergency use. Usually located by the wind down legs.
The standard system used on most 5'ers are Electric over hydraulic so pressure is appled to the system based on the voltage given out by the brake controller. It is a very effective and generally trouble free system. Both of these systems are designed for intermitant use rather than continued pressure being applied for an extended period of time and neither could be classified as fail safe as even a minute hydraulic leak could cause the system to fail

Hope that answers your question.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi landy,
thanks, explains a lot.

so the system fitted by calder / 5th wheel co would be air over hydraulic...not full air.
i did chat to them at one of the shows and they said the total price included a convertion to air brakes on the pickup so im assuming they meant a compressor and receiver tank on the pickup feeding the 5er's air over hydraulic setup via a suzy hose.

Allen

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Funster No
Hi Jim

I personally imported mine and I got one fitted at the same time as the lights, electrics and gas were being converted. Easy Peasy ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Hi Robrobc,
Can you tell me the costs and the name of the company for these convertions, thanks Allen,
good luck on the sale of your rig

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back