590rs Electric Hook Up Issue

Discussion in 'Swift Motorhomes' started by HSE, Mar 18, 2014.

1. HSE

HSE Read Only Funster

HI
    I have two issues/ questions on 240v electrical hook up

Verhicle Battery appears to loose charge when connected?
    Lights do not work unless leisure battery is selected?

Any help would be much appreciated
    Thanks
    Heather

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi Heather
    Firstly how old is your Sundance as the earlier models didnt have a charging facility from hookup! In this case i would get your dealer to put a test on the battery to see what amps are being pulled from it and this should determine if the battery is ok or not!!
    Your lights should work when either vehicle or leisure battery are selected, if they only work on the leisure side then we would start by looking at the fuses to the vehicle battery.
    YOu are more than welcome to contact uur workshops on 01580 881288 / www.johnscross.co.uk.

Good luck

Glenn Harris

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

not certain why you think the hook up is discharging the vehicle battery, as it is not connected to the leisure side other than through the source selection switch

The lights will only work when you select the leisure battery. all that you are doing is supplying a battery charger in effect to the leisure battery but it remains the source of power to the lights, pump etc

to charge the van battery when on hook up you need to select it at the control panel. As I recall on those vans its a 3 position switch leisure battery/off/van battery

if you are still having issues after this, I would suggest that you need to talk to your supplying dealer or an auto electrician to figure out whats not working correctly

4. HSE

HSE Read Only Funster

Hi
    Its a 2005 Swift 590Rs - used to get 12 volt power when selected central position ie not vehicle or leisure battery. But don't now - when hooked up and vehicle battery is selected it drains within 2 days where as if not connected to 240 volt does not drain for weeks ?
    I've changed all the fuses but still no success
    Thanks
    Heather

5. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

When the hook up is connected is there any power on the 230 volt sockets on the van?

6. voyager 1

voyager 1 Read Only Funster

May be a daft question ? how old is the vehicle battery, that might be the problem not that i am an expert but most of my vehicle batterys in the past seem to last about 4/5 yrs then they stop holding a charge because one or more cells have died.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

sounds like battery charger has an internal short circuit on the output side (12v) allowing battery voltage to return to the charger and subsequently to earth

8. HSE

HSE Read Only Funster

thanks all - yes 240 V connector gives us power through sockets -

I have now changed charger and still have the same issues

Short circuit seems like a possibility any ideas where i could find it pappajohn?