50% off FON Boxes with Voucher Code

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Addie, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

For those of you who are interested in becoming part of the FON scheme of 15,000,000 free WiFi hotpots across Europe, there is an offer of 50% off a new Fonera box.

This makes the box just €19.50 - about £15.30 including delivery.

1.) Visit: https://shop.fon.com/en/products/all

2.) If prompted type 'United Kingdom'

3.) Press 'BUY' next to the Fonera @ €39.00

4.) When prompted, enter the voucher code NEWFONERA50

5.) Checkout, pay and wait for it to be delivered :)

You will also see an item called the 'GramoFon' listed for €49.00. You don't want this product UNLESS you already use Spotify (music player) and know what it is. Basically its the same as FON but also has a 3.5mm socket in the reverse to add some external speakers so you can stream Spotify from your laptop/iPad wirelessly to speakers. It's just to try and get more people interest in FON - I'd leave it alone unless you already use Spotify and think you might benefit from the feature.

Not sure what you're buying or what FON is? Checkout our guide here:
    http://www.motorhomewifi.com/blog/the-definitive-guide-to-fon-and-bt-wifi/

Hope this is of interest to some of you :)

• Like Like x 8
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Oh dear, not worth if for Italy.

3. chaser

chaser Funster

Wasn't going to comment, but seeing as hill dweller has, I know I always seem to knock things, but my experience of bt fon is very far from good, in fact I would avoid it like the plague, never connected to it in five weeks in France, far better get yourself a 3 sim for a tenner and put £15 credit on it and get free calls texts and unlimited internet for a month, and believe me , I'm as surprised as anyone, I never found anywhere it hadn't got a signal in France.

• Like Like x 1
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's odd, the French map is saturated with FONs. Only one that is.

5. Addie

With respect chaser, going by the original threads which I contributed the reason you couldn't connect wasn't due to not being able to find a signal but that your BT login credentials were not being accepted. Something that a FON box avoids.

I agree - the Three deal is great - although not unlimited, but 25GB and limited to your phone only since tethering is not permitted. If you are doing data intensive tasks such as video on your laptop or other devices or downloading files and updates then a FON connection can be very worthwhile.

The feedback we get is overwhelmingly great - I would not be recommending if that wasn't the case. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you with your BT Broadband logins.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. arao99

arao99 Funster

A great deal Addie, but to late for me i bought one in the summer and have used bt fon in this country and Fon in France quite a few times.

7. Wombles

Wombles Funster

As we have BT broadband we get Fon access free as part of the package & had no problems using it.

8. chaser

chaser Funster

Addie, I am sorry and am not going to keep on with this, but I followed your instructions and did in fact get it to work, my point now is you just can't find a connection, anywhere out in the country, ok , I know you will say I need one of your gizmos to get a better signal, but just don't think its anywhere near as good as the three thingy or any amount of other free internet, in cafes and tourist offices and others all over the place.

9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Works OK for me and I even found FON whilst walking around Wissant
    Often found just off main streets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I used all over France July/August without problem in nearly every village and town. Used with the iBoost system bought from Addie. I have also used it in UK, Germany and here in Spain. I have the fon plug in at home and my neighbours whilst visiting their holiday home use it or pay to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Today I have had an email off Fon, basically saying that the older boxes are being disconnected and to continue the service I should subscribe to BT.. !!!!!!!

Here it is.... So it looks like they are cutting me off. :(

Hello Fon member,

Since the launch of Fon in 2006 our mission has been to cover the world with WiFi, offering access and connectivity to a global network. Today we have over 13 million hotspots worldwide and we’re still growing. This past year we launched some great innovations including: the new social Fonera with Facebook login; the Gramofon, a WiFi device that turns your speakers into a WiFi music player; and our new solution for enterprises, Fon WiFi for Business.

For Fon to keep growing and innovating, we need to discontinue our service in some older devices, including your BT Fonera. From December 9th 2014, we will be deactivating the Fon service on these small amount of devices that are still in use. However you can still use it as a WiFi router since the private signal will be working as it did until now.

In order to enjoy the Fon benefits and make the most of our ever-growing network of WiFi hotspots please subscribe to BT, our partner in the UK, to get the latest BT router fully compatible with Fon. You can also buy our latest Fonera - with the same sharing feature as your old device and also a new social layer with Facebook login. Use “NEWFONERA” as a promo code in the Fon Shop to get a 40% discount!

12. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I think they mean this one is going out:
    fonera2final-300x244.png

and this one is the newer one they are replacing it with:
    fonera-wi-fi-router.png

I could be wrong, but just checked on their web site and the one above is the newest style.

13. Techno

Yup I have that

14. chaser

chaser Funster

Well these two posts seem to bear me up, tecno was surprised it worked in wisent, and don only used it in towns and villages and then with addies iboost

15. Techno

I don't think I said I was surprised.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I have also used it with my iPhone so it does work well.

17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Thhankyou Addie, just ordered one. was planning to buy soon anyway so saved £15

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Soooooo ... this is all new to me but if I understand this correctly:
    • you do NOT have to be a BT subscriber to use FON so long as you purchase a FON box
    • you connect the FON box to your home internet (any provider) which then makes it available for others to use as a free wifi hotspot
    • the data used by others is deducted from your data allowance however you can set limits on how much others can use
    • when away you take your FON box with you and can then use the 'free wifi hotspots' others have set up, in various countries, subject to being in an area which can receive it
    Is that about it? If so, what would be the benefit to using my '3' mobile broadband instead when away from home?

19. Addie

Q: You do NOT have to be a BT subscriber to use FON so long as you purchase a FON box
    Correct.

Q: You connect the FON box to your home internet (any provider) which then makes it available for others to use as a free wifi hotspot
    Correct.

Q: The data used by others is deducted from your data allowance however you can set limits on how much others can use
    Correct. Although most people's home broadband is unlimited and the chances of anyone else using your FON is probably remote. I've had mine on 3 years, looking at the control panel its been logged into twice!

Q: When away you take your FON box with you and can then use the 'free wifi hotspots' others have set up, in various countries, subject to being in an area which can receive it.
    Correct - so ideally for use from within a motorhome you would want to consider a WiFi booster to get maximum benefit.

If so, what would be the benefit to using my '3' mobile broadband instead when away from home?

Using FON you wouldn't be restricted on the amount of data you could download - so if you were a Three subscriber you could save your data allowance for use when you wasn't within a FON reception area. Lots of our customers use FON to stream video as and when the bandwidth allows - something you'd not want to be doing via Three.

At the end of the day it is up to the individual. If you only go to France and only send the odd e-mail then the Three deal is great. If you're an internet junky you're going to want to offload some of your data consumption onto a cheaper source - in this case FON. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

mostly right....just you leave the fon box plugged in at home. connect to fon hotspots by wifi using your fon username and password