5 Mins a day with a 1200 W hairdryer (2 Viewers)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Petest said:
Micro fiber hair wrap followed by a rest on a comfy cushion in front of one of the vents.

Get ready to run when you suggest it though

I'd dare any man to suggest that to Jan, the only person on the floor in front of vents would be you.
Spark out.:eek:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use a 1200w hairdryer which is pretty standard for a travel one. We both use it daily though it only takes 30seconds to dry mine. We have 400w solar and 250Ah of battery (2x125Ah), 1500w inverter (3000w peak) and have no problem in the summer.
As already calculated 5 mins (which is actually quite a long time, time how long it actually takes, it may be less) will use less than 10Ah which can be replaced in about half an hour in Mediterranean sunlight, with a single panel a couple of hours.
If yours hairdryer has a low heat setting as ours has you may be surprised at how little it uses on low. Ours is just 400w (measured, as it rarely says on the label)

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Run the engine while hair dryer is on and there will be very little loss in batteries. Wife uses 800 watt hair dryer so a little less power used

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Run the engine while hair dryer is on and there will be very little loss in batteries. Wife uses 800 watt hair dryer so a little less power used
Sounds a good scheme, but isn't it bad to idle for any great length. 2.3 fiat 2015

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Sounds a good scheme, but isn't it bad to idle for any great length. 2.3 fiat 2015
Ice cream vans seem to last forever..........
Tractors and Land Rovers running a power take off or winch at tickover last for years....

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think a short idle is more harmful than a long one. The engine won't warm up so condensation will form in the exhaust and potentially in the cylinders when you switch off. Plus any DPF may not feel it is getting best treatment.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Thanks for all the replies. I put all the pros and Cons to her. Emphasised @hilldweller post and cost :cautious: Some call it bullying, I call it listen to me, who pays the bills anyway. :LOL:

All Sorted..... Gas Hair Styling brush ordered and received. Dries and styles all in one ;) £24:99 Job Done. (y)

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
:doh:
So... 30 secs every few hours for 1300W Tassimo Machine. Will my 2 x 95 batts and 15oW solar in the UK cope

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Three times a day?
At the end of the day it will be about 1 minute perhaps two, so 1300watts is 108amps ish +/- - your battery total is 190amps, but you really only have 95amps (50%). So even doing it once will draw more than you have! then there is the replacing of amps taken out. UK sun today I'm getting average 1amp per hour with 200watts of solar. There is no way the batteries will recover the amps taken out, so by day two your are already starting the discharge your batteries below 50%......... so after a few weeks new batteries will be needed. The average MH draws about 15amps (or more) each day from the batteries, using TV, Sat, Water, lights, laptop charger, phone charger, the list goes on and on. Most MH owners think it's ok because they go onto EHU every few days and charge the batteries, but if they are knackered the charge will only last a few hours at most. This is why people on here ask why they cannot get TV to work all night on batteries when not on EHU.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would say yes,

108 amps ish so call it 120 for inverter inefficiency, but for two minutes is only 4ah gone so I would have thought a couple of hours ish would put that back, sun depending on course.

Martin

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I would say yes,

108 amps ish so call it 120 for inverter inefficiency, but for two minutes is only 4ah gone so I would have thought a couple of hours ish would put that back, sun depending on course.

Martin
Agreed Martin, but thats 12amps a day on top of whatever else he is drawing power from, so round it off at 25 amps a day, then UK sun on a good day this time of year say 2 amps average over 6 hours 12 amps back in!!! - so after second day of "no sun" and his batteries are fried. The Bialette Moka Express is the way to go. I'm a great beleiver in KISS........
coffee.jpg

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I do thank you for your time, but I dont have either in the MH yet and by the looks of things, never will.:( One day when I do the going abroad stuff, I may do

Looking good with the coffee pot.(y) Now where to find Jane's Amazon login details!!!:LOL:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I do thank you for your time, but I dont have either in the MH yet and by the looks of things, never will.:( One day when I do the going abroad stuff, I may do

Looking good with the coffee pot.(y) Now where to find Jane's Amazon login details!!!:LOL:
Well I have been making coffee in the Bialette Moka Express now for 8 years and buy the coffee and store it in the fridge. Many "coffee" visitors......(y) comment on how nice it is. Use the same one at home.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Agreed Martin, but thats 12amps a day on top of whatever else he is drawing power from, so round it off at 25 amps a day, then UK sun on a good day this time of year say 2 amps average over 6 hours 12 amps back in!!! - so after second day of "no sun" and his batteries are fried. The Bialette Moka Express is the way to go. I'm a great beleiver in KISS........
View attachment 97874

I take your point John, there is no substitute for knowing what you are taking out and how much is going back in, sometimes in credit and sometimes in debt.

Martin

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Well I have been making coffee in the Bialette Moka Express now for 8 years and buy the coffee and store it in the fridge. Many "coffee" visitors......(y) comment on how nice it is. Use the same one at home.
After readng blurb on this, it keeps saying expresso, but all I want is a mug of perculated coffee. like a filter coffee machine would make. Is this how you use yours or only make the small expresso?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It has been said before...

This is the only truly sensible answer to hair dryer usage

Broken Link Removed

Uses bugger all battery and lasts years before it breaks down

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We have 2x100watt solar panels and 4x80ah gel batteries, a b2b charger and a Victron 2kw inverter

We use;
1200w hair dryer daily
Nespresso Machine multiple times daily
Dyson Vac - every 3 or 4 days
Mini washing machine - every 3 or 4 days
Mini Slow cooker - occasionally
Electric tooth brush
Charging 2 phones daily and an iPad
Charging 2 electric bikes occasionally

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Portugal and found that the solar performed considerably better than it did when we went to Spain in January

The difference was quite noticeable.
On this trip we always had enough in the batteries.

The length of day and the brightness must make a massive difference.

We used the same set up in Cornwall last September, it didn't quite cope as we weren't doing many miles and the sun wasn't so strong.

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp

Broken Link Removed

Even Jane found this funny. :LOL::LOL:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Broken Link Removed

Sorry @Jaws but you've made a naive error.

You forgot rule number 1

The lady is always right

When the lady asks for a hairdryer, the correct answer is 'yes m'lady'

Simple and painless - works every time!

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Sorry @Jaws but you've made a naive error.

You forgot rule number 1

The lady is always right

When the lady asks for a hairdryer, the correct answer is 'yes m'lady'

Simple and painless - works every time!
You need a wife like mine. I want a hairdryer. Try a microfibres head towel and a gas powered brush thingy.:cautious: Bought used and happy. (y);)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You need a wife like mine. I want a hairdryer. Try a microfibres head towel and a gas powered brush thingy.:cautious: Bought used and happy. (y);)
You may think she's happy, having to do without her favourite beauty accessory - but you are sadly mistaken.
Watch out for broken glass in your beer!

OP
OP
Zigisla

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
You may think she's happy, having to do without her favourite beauty accessory - but you are sadly mistaken.
Watch out for broken glass in your beer!
Fair one. Only time will tell. She was good this weekend as we were in ehu. Maybe have to alternate. Wilding it tonight at hobsons brewery in Shropshire Brit stop 435. So we're on the gas brush again. :cautious::cautious:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Fair one. Only time will tell. She was good this weekend as we were in ehu. Maybe have to alternate. Wilding it tonight at hobsons brewery in Shropshire Brit stop 435. So we're on the gas brush again. :cautious::cautious:

If in doubt drink your beer through a straw
I've been doing it for years

Looks quite natural if you're in a gay bar

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back