EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Hi All

Have just managed to organise 5 days off end of June.::bigsmile:

Can anyone suggest any destinations within about 100 miles of Calais suitable for a short break?

all ideas gratefully received

cheers

Steve:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bruges is a great city.

There is an aire by the station which is an easy walk into town.

Eating in the town square in the sunshine is as good as it gets. Not cheap but what the hell, it's good.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you have never been , Ypres is a very worthwhile visit if you can fit it in, don't know about sites around there but plenty of aires

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Likewise dunkerque and again if you want a brilliant place to stop on the way it has to be gravelines for me

Last edited:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Hi All

Have just managed to organise 5 days off end of June.::bigsmile:

Can anyone suggest any destinations within about 100 miles of Calais suitable for a short break?

all ideas gratefully received

cheers

Steve:Smile:

Laon has a quite spectacular setting, but you won't be parking at the top...

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Charleville Meziers is a beautiful place to visit. There is a free aire outside the municipal campsite overlooking a marina and park with electricity if you need - (5euros for 24hrs). The location is fabulous. Or you can stay in the campsite which looks very pleasant. It's a short walk into the town and you can cycle along the Meuse from the aire - just follow the river bank!
But, what we usually do if only a 5 day break is stop at any of the numerous aires between Calais and St Valery-sur-Somme. They include St Valery, Le Crotoy (two, one by the port which we prefer and one on the beach), Fort Mahon, Berck, Le Touquet, etc. Even Calais is interesting to stay at and seems to be free now since the campsite next to it closed. We stayed three nights in Calais last month!
Mike and Annie:Cool::Smile:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have spent many a long weekend at Le Touquet or Le Crotoy.
I would suggest a couple of days at each for a five day break.

Brisey.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Would suggest staying in UK for only a five day break. Can't see you getting any better weather than the south of England. Saving the Ferry or tunnel costs.

Lin

OP
OP
Steve101uk

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Thanks for all the ideas, I did go to Ypres last year and had a very thought provoking weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed at this place which I would recommend http://www.jeugdstadion.be/

I think the long weekend at Le Touquet or Le Crotoy looks appealing but I have logged the other suggestions for future reference, Charleville Meziers and Bruges are now on the list of places to visit.

cheers

Steve

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Bruges is lovely , we have visited several times . Though we have never been in our MH ( which is the same as yours by the looks of it :thumb:) only on a weekend P&O ferry deals.
There is a large aire by the bus station though .
We have seen many a MH parked up on it. Plus its only a short walk into the town through the park from there. Lovely romantic city lots of beautiful architecture , great shops , oh and of course chocolate to die for mmmmmm. Enjoy your trip:thumb:

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
ypes

in iper theres a site in centre of town bye the football ground we went to Dieppe a few weeks ago and Boulogne but iper is a great place on a Saturday theres a market its a good 1 then 2000 every nite menin gate

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Would suggest staying in UK for only a five day break. Can't see you getting any better weather than the south of England. Saving the Ferry or tunnel costs.

Lin

Saving 5 day's campsite costs (even CL/CS) can pay for the ferry, if you use aires.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back