4WD + Caravan = (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am on a CL and it has rained all night. I heard an engine revving and looked out my window to see a large 4WD stuck.....

He was going backwards and forwards 10 meters each time trying to find a spot that wasn't soggy. He was spinning the wheels (all 4 of them).

I have never seen such a mess made of a nice lawn:Doh::cry:

Last weekend it was a front wheel drive MH based on a Fiat ducato that got stuck and I had to teach them how to not spin the wheels and rock the van to make progress. Got them out though.

It appears to me that most of the problems are due to people not knowing how to drive :Doh:

Oh, well. Gave me 15 minutes entertainment, but I am guessing the site owner won't be overly impressed with the mess...

The caravan front was well splattered with mud off the rear wheels...

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
ANY 4x4, linked to road tyres and a fool, will get stuck, he should be ashamed of himself.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The caravan that was parked behind that one has just left. He was in an estate car rear wheel drive and managed to get all the way across the field without making a mess. He had twice the distance, was on a more sloping part of the field and past over the same place the other one was parked.

Nicely Done ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Got to agree with darklord, we have a Mitsubishi Shogun with wide alloy wheels with low profile tyres [well the wife liked it] you have to be very carefull on soft ground with it the tyres clog up really easy and loose grip brilliant on snow and ice though.Have just fitted a new set of Mitchelin tyres that have a chunkier tread pattern but have not needed to test them out yet.

dave e

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yup, his tires had clogged up the first time he spun them up. He woke the guy opposite me with the engine revving noises. Just had a chat with him and he is leaving later. He is facing the opposite direction so will have to do a full circle of the site. He is also in a 4x4.

Will it be more entertainment or hats off again I wonder?

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Its a bit of a nightmare gettin the tyres right on a 4x4. if you go for big aggressive tyres, they will dig a hole quicker than a JCB in either mud or snow if you dont know how to drive, they are also known to be...shall we say, a little unforgiving if its a bit greasy on tarmac.

MOST sensible 4x4 owners who take advice, fit an AT (all terrain) tyre, BFG's are a good make, these give a good compromise of on and off road capability, and are long lasting. The golden rule on grass etc is.......if the wheels spin after GENTLE accelaration STOP, put it in low box with the difflock in (if you dont know what these are, get out and walk home, you should,nt be in the car), try again, if the wheels still spin, STOP, get out and start putting stuff under the wheels to get traction, or get towed out. Wheels spinning = digging, dont do it, same rules apply for MH drivers as for 4x4 drivers, take only photographs, leave only footprints.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
there are and always will be the people that think just because they have a 4x4 they are invincible and can go anywhere and not get stuck.

then there are the people that have a hulking big 4x4 just because it looks good for the neighbours and the only bit of offroading it does is mounting the kerb whilst dropping the brats off at school.

even in the motorhome if you select 1st gear and just gently let the clutch up at tick over most will just start to roll you don't need 4000 rpm.

well ok im just a bit anti 4x4 if you must have a 4x4 it has to be proper one not a tank on rubber bands.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Few people really need a 4X4, even to pull a caravan with, even people who live in rural areas rarely really need a 4X4. Learning to drive in soft and slippery conditions would do more good than buying a big, ugly, thirsty brutal 4X4. On the only occasion I got our last motorhome bogged in it was on a site in North Devon. Ground looked good but the van just sank up to its wheel nuts so we spent the weekend with a slight list to starboard. When it was time to pull out I backed it up as far as possible and pushed grip mats under the front wheels. Next I let the front tyres down, I mean right down to about 10psi! I then just drove out onto the tarmac road where I used my 12 volt compressor to re-inflate the tyres. Absolutely no problem!

Last year's Cheshire show was entertaining as it pee'd down most of the Sunday and the showground turned into a quagmire. We opted to stay till the Monday morning and by then the field was just a bog but we still had to get our 1200KG trailer out, 3/4 down the field and facing downhill but needing to leave in an uphill direction I had my doubts as to whether we could do it but I scouted out the longest, smoothest curve to turn round. We went for it and managed the long turn round without incident then pointed the outfit diagonally across the field towards the exit, only two "roadways" (read that as foot deep mudbaths) to cross so I gathered momentum, got into third gear and gave it big licks.

We made it without incident other than splattering lots of mud up the front of the trailer but by the time we got to the M6 the rain had washed it all off again.

D.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Dave, many people dont NEED a 4x4, like they dont NEED a motorhome, or the many add on's you get for them. We CHOSE to spend our money how we wish to, and the many people and companies that supply addons for the 4x4 market are gratefull that we do.
Just like the knobhead MH owner who takes up 20 foot of road because he can't drive, or causes chaos because he cant reverse his oversized weekend berth,...there are irresponsible 4x4 drivers.

Ive been involved with landrovers for many years, and ive had rows with idiots churning up lanes, and sent a couple of idiots home who started swapping from road tyres to mud tyres to drive a gentle greenlane.

People may not like the "clelsea tractor" brigade, but they have just created 1000 more jobs in the midlands, and kept a world famous car brand alive when others have perished. caravanners.motorhomers.campers get enough bad press and ridicule, best not follow their example i think.
We donr NEED motorhomes, we dont NEED to spend money on them, we dont NEED cruise control, people in glass houses mate.......................

DSC_1026.jpg

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I should have been clearer in my last post, I wasn't having a pop at 4X4 owners, although on re-reading my post it does look like that. My point was more that many people who own 4X4s try to justify it by saying "I need one because I live in the country" rather than doing as you have and saying I have one because I want one. Trouble is I've seen so many muppets with 4X4s who can't drive them on anything but tarmac I have to wonder what the attraction is. I've driven plenty and few give what I consider to be a comfortable ride. I guess my point is simply this, if you want one fine, go and buy one but do everyone a favour and learn to use it to its full potential so that if you ever need its off road function set you know what to do. Pretty much the same with caravan owners who can't reverse their outfit really, if you want it great but at least learn to drive it properly.

D.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Dave, many people dont NEED a 4x4, like they dont NEED a motorhome, or the many add on's you get for them. We CHOSE to spend our money how we wish to, and the many people and companies that supply addons for the 4x4 market are gratefull that we do.
Just like the knobhead MH owner who takes up 20 foot of road because he can't drive, or causes chaos because he cant reverse his oversized weekend berth,...there are irresponsible 4x4 drivers.

Ive been involved with landrovers for many years, and ive had rows with idiots churning up lanes, and sent a couple of idiots home who started swapping from road tyres to mud tyres to drive a gentle greenlane.

People may not like the "clelsea tractor" brigade, but they have just created 1000 more jobs in the midlands, and kept a world famous car brand alive when others have perished. caravanners.motorhomers.campers get enough bad press and ridicule, best not follow their example i think.
We donr NEED motorhomes, we dont NEED to spend money on them, we dont NEED cruise control, people in glass houses mate.......................

DSC_1026.jpg

i see you have what i consider to be a proper landrover now these i do not have any problem with as it has sensible wheels and tyres not an elastic band on a big bit of bling.

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
I very much agree

[quoteI guess my point is simply this, if you want one fine, go and buy one but do everyone a favour and learn to use it to its full potential so that if you ever need its off road function set you know what to do. Pretty much the same with caravan owners who can't reverse their outfit really, if you want it great but at least learn to drive it properly.
][/quote]

I go to a caravan site local to me on a weekly basis delivering LPG, there has been a few times when i and also the site keepers just sit and watch these folk with at a guess £40 of kit that cant even drive them, there was once a time when a couple arrived at the site and had checked in not long before me to do my delivery, now it takes me say 15 mins to do it, in that time they hadnt even parked up the C`van as when i went to leave it couldnt exit as this couple had managed to jack knife the rig right across the road, he was trying for a further 10 mins to park it up, in this time i was a little entertained by this as his wife was getting all in a tizzy and shouting at him ` no this way` to far` etc etc, also the keeper was watching and shaking his head, in the end after a good 30 mins by this time the keeper jumped in the car and in 3 moves it was parked up. The keeper got a round of applause by all the gongoozlers and me.

And what cattagorie do i fit in as i am neither big or bling, but i can use it when need to:thumb:
tn_IMG_3124.jpg

tn_IMG_3127.jpg

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Few people really need a 4X4, even to pull a caravan with, even people who live in rural areas rarely really need a 4X4. .........

D.

I have a 4x4 ,a caravan and live in a rural area ... one of the many..

Not a big brute with rubber bands and bling.. but a Honda CR-V .. Of course it's not a full blown off road vehicle, not marketed as such, but it's very capable on green lanes, unmade forest roads and on slippy grass ... and a very capable tow car.

It is also an extremely comfortable, just as much at home on the Mway as it is on a green lane..not particularly great at anything .. but a good all rounder.. and very useful in winter.. (snow ploughs and gritters don't venture near our village)... .

but, in saying all that, neither me nor anyone else has justify what they own or drive.. and even if I never ventured off the tar and lived in a town, .. who has the right to judge what I own... or indeed judge my reversing skills .. I've seen some pathetic reversing by motorhomers ..... ever seen one trying to reverse a toad...? :Doh: but not my business.. is it ..

An old biblical saying ... "Judge not others lest yea be judged yourself " ..

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry forgot to mention the last one. He had a lot of sense. He picked up the tow hitch on his caravan and spun it round to point at the gates. Then connected it up and drove off leaving nothing but a slight imprint on the grass which has gone this morning.

the mess the first guy left is nasty and practically surrounds my van. I have to wade through a bog now to get to the waste points:shout:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Waynesworld - what is that vehicle? (Just being nosey)

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years

I don't know what it is but I do know it's not the prettiest vehicle in the world!
OK, I'll be blunt. It's the second ugliest car in the world after the BMW X6!

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp

Hi kida, its an UMM Alter 2, a rare`ish thing from Portugal but did start life in France.

I don't know what it is but I do know it's not the prettiest vehicle in the world!
OK, I'll be blunt. It's the second ugliest car in the world after the BMW X6!

So i thought when i first seen it, but it grows on you, i could of got something run of the mill, but nope, thats boring to me. Some different is what i like. Trust me it will grow on you, all said its a fugly but in time most like it::bigsmile:

This got me hooked when i got it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back