4th gear popping out (1996 Ducato 2.5 TD) (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Hi all

Heading down to the New Forest yesterday, and 4th started popping out of gear of its own accord.

Travelling along, it went into 4th normally, but then after a while the gear stick jumped out of 4th with an accompanying growl of revs. Sometimes I could grab it and pop it back in again, other times if I tried to re-engage it just popped out straight away again.

It only happened 4 times on the way to the New Forest and back again from Andover. Bit of a surprise. All other gears behave fine.

Any suggest what the cause might be? And what is the course of action?

Many thanks!
Jamie

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
search the internet remorselessly....which I am assume you are doing:thumb:
My auto disco would not hold in gear recently.......a common fault, some people have been told it's a £xxxxx gearbox rebuild......it's actually a corroded & siezed £2 widget underneath the car in the actuator mechanism :Eeek: forwarned is forearmed in any case :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi all

Heading down to the New Forest yesterday, and 4th started popping out of gear of its own accord.

Travelling along, it went into 4th normally, but then after a while the gear stick jumped out of 4th with an accompanying growl of revs. Sometimes I could grab it and pop it back in again, other times if I tried to re-engage it just popped out straight away again.

It only happened 4 times on the way to the New Forest and back again from Andover. Bit of a surprise. All other gears behave fine.

Many thanks!
Jamie
loose or worn selector is a possibility. the bolts sometimes work loose so may not be massively expensive.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi all

Many thanks!
Jamie

First check should be the linkage on top of the box. You need to be sure that when you move the lever to 4th the selector shaft sticking out of the gearbox is fully in the 4th gear position. Once it's in the correct position detents on the internal selector shaft and within the 4th gear synchro hub hold it in place (think spring, ball-bearing, recess). A simple check is to put it in 4th at a standstill (engine stopped) then make sure the shaft on top of the box has rotated fully into position. If the linkage is in generally bad shape (lots of slop / play) fix it before going any deeper.

OP
OP
jamieBG
Apr 12, 2012
Fleet, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Atlantis 34
Exp
MoHoing since 09/04/12
Thanks for the replies.

The older threads all pertained to 5th gear problems, which seem to stem from 5th being an afterthought on an older 4-speed designed box, so I skipped those.

Sadly, it doesn't look as easy as any loose/worn selector. So the box is coming out and is being sent to Broken Link Removed next week for an exploratory (for repair or recon box, depending what it looks like). She's getting a new clutch while the box is out too as it is rather tired.

oh well £££
:wub::wub::wub:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
see what other preventative maintenance jobs can be done whilst its apart. most of the cost is in the labour pulling it all out so it makes sense to do clutch etc

if it was me i would service the clutch cylinders and replace the fluid too

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back