4250kg in europe (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Suddenly find we have 3 months spare instead of work so we are off to Europe next week.We thought to route through Germany-Austria-Italy-South France -Spain.No rush so no toll roads if we can avoid them.The thing is ,what will I come across in tolls or tax for each country as we are 4250 kg ? Hopefully someone has already done it in such a heavy van and can give some advice ?
Thanks in advance if someone replies.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi firstly lucky you, don't take anything I say as being correct :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if going to Austria and using the major roads then you will need a go box as for the rest I think its just pay the tolls.

I know you didn't mention it but have a look at Slovenia like Austria you will need a go box style although you can get into the mountains to the likes of Bovec and lake bled without using toll roads as we came home that way. Slovenia really is stunning

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks Gerry ,just checked my ACSI book and there are 7 campsites in Slovenia that will still be open if we do it .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Suddenly find we have 3 months spare instead of work so we are off to Europe next week.We thought to route through Germany-Austria-Italy-South France -Spain.No rush so no toll roads if we can avoid them.The thing is ,what will I come across in tolls or tax for each country as we are 4250 kg ? Hopefully someone has already done it in such a heavy van and can give some advice ?

Hi
We are also 4250 kg, been on many a toll they don't weight only camera/beam clocking the height for the correct toll, enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Just got back from Italy via Switzerland, paid 32.5 swiss francs for ten days road tax in a twelve month period which if your only passing through is alot cheaper than a gobox in Austria. Head down Germany to Basle and through the San Gottard tunnel towards Milan then on to France.
We also passed through Luxembourg where diesel cost 1.20 euro's a litre, so it might be worth deviating from Germany.

Regards

Ray

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I presume you have had a costly experience with Austria and the go box ? Luxembourg fuel is a good idea,Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
After looking into the various charges to use the roads in some countries we have decided due to the onset of the colder months to use only France,Italy and Spain.We are willing to pay but not until we go early summer to better enjoy Germany,Switzerland,Slovenia and Austria.
How come visitors to our country dont pay anything? It would be better for a pan Euro go box rather than all change at borders.At least then foreign freight,etc would contribute to our road network also whilst we keep paying our car tax only for our own roads.
I guess there are good reasons why this has not happened ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Must check my holiday rota maybe iv'e got 3 month owing i hadn't noticed :ROFLMAO:

N&K

Free Member
May 26, 2008
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 630L
Exp

We find all Euro Tolls booths (France/Austria/Italy) are more interested in the number of axles you have rather than if you are more than 3.5t and your Motorhome height. If you MH has a single rear axle an you're not over 3M (or 3.5metres cant remember which), then you'll most likely just a 3.5t toll (Class 2). Spanish just don't care, you get charged the same as a car, Class 1.

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
We've just spent nearly 7 weeks touring France and Spain in our twin axle and was charged class 2 for most. We thought pretty good. Some even charged class 1 so a bonus.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back