4 year old batteries not holding charge? change both? (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we bought our new to us Hymer exactly 4 years ago, immediately found the batteries were duff and changed them, they were just under 4 years old when changed

turned out one battery out of the 2 fitted was duff, dragging the pair down to a useless level, decided then it wasn't the end of the world and gave away the good old one, weighed in the other

now we seem to be having issues, so far I have not disconnected the batteries to check individually as that needs tools and some nouse, so will end up getting the job done

question is this

after 4 years should I just expect this and buy 2 more at around £250 each (when bought last time)

how bad is it to change just one battery, or should I just bite the bullet and change them both again, I cant recall the make now but they were recommended on here and are GEL 100ish Amp / hrs

the reason I think they are failing is after only a few hours off grid or after parking, the battery volts display on the controller drop from around 13V to 12.2 - 4. In fairness I have often had a small inverter plugged in to charge something (having forgotten to do it while travelling o_O) the inverter draws around 6A when first plugged in, dropping to 2A after a bit, so not a huge draw.

I did notice though a disappointing draw from a newly fitted Omnistore awning light (full 5.5m length LED) taking over 3A, seems a lot and they had been on for a few hours when I noticed we were down to 12.2 V first time

But even if were drawing say 5A for 6 hours before going to bed, the leaving the Alde heating pump on all night (not checked the current on that) but only on with thermostat, is 12.2V in the morning about right?

I bet that could have been condensed to 2 or 3 sensible lines of text, so sorry for the waffle (y)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
What AH rating are the batteries?

Ooops, just read more carefully and seen the bit I missed. You are having the exact issue I was. I took my van to Mr. Bitz and told him that I wanted to replace my batteries, because they weren't holding power.

We were getting similar reading to what you describe! He tested the batteries, and told me they were fine, I was just using too much. So I fitted more batteries.

Mind you we do use a shed load of power when we are off grid! :D

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
3 amps on a 5.5m awning light is only 6 watts per metre so really quite low.

What sort of mileage between stops? Me thinks a C-Tek battery to battery charger might be a good investment.

That and dumping an inefficient inverter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
6 amps is a lot for a 'small' inverter. Our 1800 seems to draw around 4 amps when it is in service, and that is running microwave in standby, broadband router, and various random items that our daughter plugs in without us noticing! :D

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
6 amps is a lot for a 'small' inverter. Our 1800 seems to draw around 4 amps when it is in service, and that is running microwave in standby, broadband router, and various random items that our daughter plugs in without us noticing! :D
Exactly

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

6 amps is a lot for a 'small' inverter.

many thanks for your input

the figures I was quoting were very approx. but when plugged in doing nothing it draws zero Amps, plug in my laptop charger (connected to flat laptop) it then jumps to 6 Amps, but that is total consumption, ie I haven't turned everything else off. The draw quickly drops and when charged it is drawing around 2A max

if that helps

it is a simple 150W plug into 12V socket when needed inverter to charge mainly my laptop and I try to only use it when moving. I used to have a 12V power supply for my old laptop but cant get one for my new one, although they both used very similar Amps in use

all our lights are now LED not really sure what else I can do, but I am also at Vanbitz next month, will get the opinion of the experts while there (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
David, can I assume that when you are at home the van is plugged in and the batteries get a good charge, I feel that our Gel batteries don't get fully charged driving so it might be worth giving them a good charge on hook up and then switching on 5 or 10 amps of load and watching volts for a few hours and try to work out what capacity they are giving you (unplug hook up first).

Gel's should last more than 7 years.

Martin

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Why don't you buy a 12v adaptor for your laptop and stop using your inverter. Ive also learned that a few hours after turning off your appliances and your batteries have been resting the voltage recovers a bit. I have started becoming very wary of our amps used and now even turn off the control panel at bedtime if we are wilding for 4 nights or so. It all adds up before you know it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why don't you buy a 12v adaptor for your laptop and stop using your inverter.

I used to have a 12V power supply for my old laptop but cant get one for my new one, although they both used very similar Amps in use

Morning Sandra

I don't really get the point of the 12V adaptor to me they seem to consume more or less the same amps and cant do anything else, our little inverter when in use has 2 x 13A sockets and 2 x USB, but as I said above cant get a 12V power supply for my new laptop, although I haven't tried very hard, :whistle: my Maplin one has about 20 connection options but none fit my HP o_O

I have more or less decided to get a proper inverter fitted while at Vanbitz next month, going to call them for advice this morning (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, can I assume that when you are at home the van is plugged in and the batteries get a good charge, I feel that our Gel batteries don't get fully charged driving so it might be worth giving them a good charge on hook up and then switching on 5 or 10 amps of load and watching volts for a few hours and try to work out what capacity they are giving you (unplug hook up first).

Gel's should last more than 7 years.

Martin

morning Martin

yes to permanent hook up, I wondered if that might be a problem?

will give it a go at pulling that much power, will try and find something that gives constant consumption and report back (y)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I did notice though a disappointing draw from a newly fitted Omnistore awning light (full 5.5m length LED) taking over 3A, seems a lot and they had been on for a few hours when I noticed we were down to 12.2 V first time

I bought a 5metre roll of 5050 LED strip and just looked on the box and that states it's 36 watts, so you awning light seems about right at just over 3 amps.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
David, Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong as you know I'm just still trying to learn :) Yes I know a little knowledge can be dangerous but I think using an inverter uses more amps as it converts it to 240v then back to 12v. Try looking on ebay for an adaptor.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong as you know I'm just still trying to learn :) Yes I know a little knowledge can be dangerous but I think using an inverter uses more amps as it converts it to 240v then back to 12v. Try looking on ebay for an adaptor.

the trouble is most laptops are not 12V, mine is 19V, so even if you start with 12V only it still needs converting up to 19V

I do know plenty do rate the 12V options, maybe they have 12V laptops, I am not yet convinced

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
I assume you have an electrobloc, is it set to GEL as opposed to standard lead acid. If not the gel battery will never fully charge . On the gel setting it holds a higher voltage for 8 hours instead of 1 hour on standard lead acid setting. This on our ebl101.
When driving you will never get to the 14.3 v from engine alernator unless you have added a bat bat charger.
This time of year solar wont fully charge a discharged batt in uk.
I agree with suggestion to charge on mains ( with gel setting) for 24 hours and then discharge with known amps and try to prove if batt good or bad. Ideally do with one battery connected at a time.
Gel batts do have a long life normally, 7 years is not unusual if they have not been abused.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks @SandraL

yes to set to Gel option on charger, don't think we have the electrobloc, sure our MH was some kind of prototype, nothing is ever what everybody else has on ours o_O

we do keep it on permanent hook up and will be trying the consumption test this week (y) possibly today if I can squeeze it in with work

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
An inverter uses power to take the voltage from 12v to 240v. It then uses more power to drop it to the output voltage of your computer. Taking the voltage direct from 12v uses less power as does only increasing the voltage to the required for the device.
You don't say the working voltage of your computer. Mine runs at 19v but I can still get an adapter to run it direct from 12v. Maplins stock them. If it is USB charged then you can get a USB adapter than plugs into a 12v cigarette lighter socket. I run my MiFi from such an adapter.
When full timing we went for as much 12v as possible to cut the inverter losses.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I bought a Maplin adaptor, comes with 12 different fittings, nothing fits my HP and looking on the pack of the pack it mentions just about every computer brand known to man, but not HP o_O

it does though quote amp ratings all around 5 - 6A so still a pretty hefty consumption

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Batteries connected together will only be as good as the weakest one. The good ones will not get to full charge and will be dragged down to the level of the poorest one. I had three batteries and one went down causing the other two to also show only 10.5v. After testing I replaced all three in October. One would not hold charge and dropped to 10.5v within hours of being taken off charge. Another dropped to 11.5v after being taken off charge. The third charged up fine and after being left for 2 months, it was still holding at 12.5v. I scrapped the first two.
I got three new batteries from Alpha Batteries they were delivered next day.
I should have replaced them earlier, but was fooled by them recovering by solar charge and supplementing that with the B2B but as the days shortened, so did the batteries life until they went in September.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Why not take the busted charger and hard wire the connector to a new charger solder and shrink wrap the joint and Bobs your uncle

trouble is with that it is not bust and the I wouldn't have a 240V option for home :)

still not convinced 12V adaptor is going to save enough power anyway, we only charge the laptop when parked up if really needed

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I bought a Maplin adaptor, comes with 12 different fittings, nothing fits my HP and looking on the pack of the pack it mentions just about every computer brand known to man, but not HP o_O

it does though quote amp ratings all around 5 - 6A so still a pretty hefty consumption
I run two HP laptops from Maplin or Currys bought adapters, with the same type of multiple adapter fitting. Have a word with someone in store there must be an adapter. Is that 5 or 6 amps at 240v or at the voltage of the device? or the draw using an amp meter?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I run two HP laptops from Maplin or Currys bought adapters, with the same type of multiple adapter fitting. Have a word with someone in store there must be an adapter. Is that 5 or 6 amps at 240v or at the voltage of the device? or the draw using an amp meter?

I really do not do technical, it was read on the back of the packet

19V 4.7A continuous

the lower the voltage the higher the amps (again read of the packet) (y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The first thing is voltage when on load is not a good guide to battery condition. You need to let the battery stand idle, disconnected for a few hours to let it stabilise. Even a small load can pull the voltage down even when fully charged.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Am about to change mine too for the same reason, not holding a charge, but then they are dated 2012 and the van was standing for 3 years out of use before I bought it.
I have 2 x 110's, is there any reason (assuming they fit) that I can't fit 130's ???

I have researched various threads on here and will use Alpha, and normal lead acid batteries as my electro bloc on a 2005 Burstner is set for those and apparently only a factory can change the settings to allow gel batteries, that said quite happy with the traditional style!

Looking at these -

( sorry for the slight hijack David ;) )

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When you get to this time of year and next to nothing off solar one of two things happens.

1/ you think your batteries are not holding charge? but are they shot or do you just need to adjust your expectations(y)

2/ you realise how much you rely on solar.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
we bought our new to us Hymer exactly 4 years ago, immediately found the batteries were duff and changed them, they were just under 4 years old when changed

turned out one battery out of the 2 fitted was duff, dragging the pair down to a useless level, decided then it wasn't the end of the world and gave away the good old one, weighed in the other

now we seem to be having issues, so far I have not disconnected the batteries to check individually as that needs tools and some nouse, so will end up getting the job done

question is this

after 4 years should I just expect this and buy 2 more at around £250 each (when bought last time)

how bad is it to change just one battery, or should I just bite the bullet and change them both again, I cant recall the make now but they were recommended on here and are GEL 100ish Amp / hrs

the reason I think they are failing is after only a few hours off grid or after parking, the battery volts display on the controller drop from around 13V to 12.2 - 4. In fairness I have often had a small inverter plugged in to charge something (having forgotten to do it while travelling o_O) the inverter draws around 6A when first plugged in, dropping to 2A after a bit, so not a huge draw.

But even if were drawing say 5A for 6 hours before going to bed, the leaving the Alde heating pump on all night (not checked the current on that) but only on with thermostat, is 12.2V in the morning about right?

I bet that could have been condensed to 2 or 3 sensible lines of text, so sorry for the waffle (y)
You say leaving the Alde heating pump on all night, that suggests you leave the boiler on as well which of course uses some power.

Martin

p.s I think 250 pounds is a lot for a 100ah Gel, if they are as originals they will most likely be EXIDE G80/ES900

bengie

Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
bournemouth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
It is best to name your batteries one and two. then when 1 fails you still have 2 that are good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back