4-year MOT exemption for new cars back on agenda (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I read this morning that the Government are once again proposing that new cars will not require an MOT until they are 4 years old, rather than 3 as at the moment. Anticipated the law would change next year - 2018.

I assume if it happens, would apply to MHs too?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38708925

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Been like this in Spain for many years and doesn't raise any particular problems, every two years afterwards until I think 10 years old and then annually.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Brakes, tyres and lighting are frequent failures on 3 year old cars. They don't last 4 years if car is used.
With the state of roads now, broken springs on cars of any age are common as well as sidewall failure on tyres

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Here in Belgium its from 4 years then every two years if under 100000km till 8 years then every year.
Motorhomes from day one then every year.
Or cars with towbars are from day one and then per year.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
In my business driving days a four year old car would be at 150,000 miles. Yes mine were regularly maintained, but others may not be as careful, so I would vote for a MOT annually from the start for all.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would welcome that and agree with their reasoning.
A Trade perspective
That is because you dont test 3 year old cars that receive little or no servicing during it's first 3 years.
Not many I grant you and things have improved over time, But I have seen death traps at 3 years old and DVSA figures back that up.

Any advisories found and given at years 1/2/3 services are generally ignored, despite it being a requirement to maintain a vehicle in a roadworthy condition at all times.
Its only when the MoT monster says you aint having a ticket till its done that it gets done.

The knock on effect will be some horrendous repair bills for the first 4th year MoT test, so the Garages will be WIN WIN WIN.
We will be accused of making up for lost revenue, well that wont be true or necessary either, because the test fee will also increase, as we claim it now takes longer to inspect.
rest assured the trade wont loose out, only you the public will suffer in terms of lives lost and fees paid out

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A Trade perspective
That is because you dont test 3 year old cars that receive little or no servicing during it's first 3 years.
Not many I grant you and things have improved over time, But I have seen death traps at 3 years old and DVSA figures back that up.

Any advisories found and given at years 1/2/3 services are generally ignored, despite it being a requirement to maintain a vehicle in a roadworthy condition at all times.
Its only when the MoT monster says you aint having a ticket till its done that it gets done.

The knock on effect will be some horrendous repair bills for the first 4th year MoT test, so the Garages will be WIN WIN WIN.
We will be accused of making up for lost revenue, well that wont be true or necessary either, because the test fee will also increase, as we claim it now takes longer to inspect.
rest assured the trade wont loose out, only you the public will suffer in terms of lives lost and fees paid out
And sorry to mention it BUT BREXIT !!!! why are we still pandering to the EU wishes :doh:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A Trade perspective

I won't disagree, but if the DfT figures quoted in the OP's link are correct, 57 vehicles out of the many millions on the road, is a drop in the ocean.
Quote..

"The Department for Transport said safer technology and improved manufacturing means new vehicles stay roadworthy for longer.

It cites figures showing the annual number of three and four-year-old cars involved in accidents where a vehicle defect was said to be a contributory factor has fallen from 155 in 2006 to 57 in 2015"

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What would cripple us would be the classification of HGV on the vans over 3500. That would entail MOTs done a VOSA centres at a bloody high cost compared to the car class 4 one.. If it goes to four for cars we may well lose the exemption and go to the one year regime according to weight.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Only drawback I see is a heavily used ex company vehicle could have 80 - 100 k on the clock, could well be dodgy issues not seen with that sort of mileage.

& they could be grouped in with hire vehicles which here in Spain still have tobe tested every 2 years from new.

And sorry to mention it BUT BREXIT !!!! why are we still pandering to the EU wishes :doh:
If we are then lets get the vans/minibuses/ hgv's on the Spanish " every 6 months" after 10 years mot.(y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I won't disagree, but if the DfT figures quoted in the OP's link are correct, 57 vehicles out of the many millions on the road, is a drop in the ocean.
Quote..

"The Department for Transport said safer technology and improved manufacturing means new vehicles stay roadworthy for longer.

It cites figures showing the annual number of three and four-year-old cars involved in accidents where a vehicle defect was said to be a contributory factor has fallen from 155 in 2006 to 57 in 2015"
Clearly, to continue this trend the first mot should be at 2 years not 4
Sorry I didn't realise the object of the exercise was to get the figures back UP :doh:
I dont know where they pulled those figures from but rest assured I see more than that in a YEAR:Eeek:
where mechanical failure would have contributed to an accident but for a MoT test

1 in 5 cars fail their FIRST 3rd year MoT:Eeek:
That potentially equates to 20% of cars on the road in year 4 will be MoT Failures with still a year to run:pray:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Agggghhhhhhh! More cars with less lights working for longer periods, you couldn't make it up.

#checkyereffinlights.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I would rather rely on information from folk like Geo than government figures.
The words "Better to be safe than sorry" come to mind.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Clearly, to continue this trend the first mot should be at 2 years not 4
Sorry I didn't realise the object of the exercise was to get the figures back UP :doh:
I dont know where they pulled those figures from but rest assured I see more than that in a YEAR:Eeek:
where mechanical failure would have contributed to an accident but for a MoT test

1 in 5 cars fail their FIRST 3rd year MoT:Eeek:
That potentially equates to 20% of cars on the road in year 4 will be MoT Failures with still a year to run:pray:
Perhaps the answer is to go down the Belgian route then, as stated by @Mel where there is an upper limit on mileage, leaving those of us that do lower miles and maintain our vehicles to a good standard, to require the first MOT at 4 years old, followed by 2 yearly MOTs thereafter.

Higher mileage users remain at 3 years, or even lower if the mileage target is reached earlier and annual MOTs, or even lower.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Many drivers have no understanding of tyre condition, ie tread wear indicators , and the 3yr and annual test probably picks up many near or outside the law tyres which are potentially lethal considerably reducing braking distances especially in the wet.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My car failed its test last year. FOR A missing cover on the Towing electric socket 7 pin type. .

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
My car failed its test last year. FOR A missing cover on the Towing electric socket 7 pin type. .
Good job it wasn't something really dangerous like a cracked number plate:rolleyes:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Our toad failed its first MOT a few months back on worn tyres.
Dragged to death then, Please remember to put the hand brake off on the car BEFORE you drive off, it would make the combo more economic to run..
Have you ever seen the RV on YouTube, where he drives along with the pickup on the back in Park, went in to a garage and when told said ,OK I only have a few mile to go.??????????? The wheels were rubbed away on that one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Yes , that is a failure here as well that I have had.
Reason being is without the cover , which incorporates a clip , there is nothing to stop the plug falling out.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I'm totally baffled by this comment! This is OUR government proposing laws to govern the people of the UK. In what way is this pandering to the EU?

That is the EU that we are still fully paid up members of, and will be until at least 2019, so even if it was an EU edict, then our government would look at it and decide whether or not to ratify it. All of that is of course superfluous, because of course this has exactly nothing to do with the EU!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Yes , that is a failure here as well that I have had.
Reason being is without the cover , which incorporates a clip , there is nothing to stop the plug falling out.
No, but I need both hands and pull like hell to get it out so chances of falling out, zilch.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Dragged to death then, Please remember to put the hand brake off on the car BEFORE you drive off, it would make the combo more economic to run..
Have you ever seen the RV on YouTube, where he drives along with the pickup on the back in Park, went in to a garage and when told said ,OK I only have a few mile to go.??????????? The wheels were rubbed away on that one.
On you tube, it is called 'you cant cure stupid RV and pickup truck' worth a laugh

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
All they need to do is look at the stats in Belgium if they are already doing it and see if 3yr mots are worth it as for the safety at any cost arguement bring back the 4 mph limit and the man with the red flag there has to be a balance between cost nad safety

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm totally baffled by this comment! This is OUR government proposing laws to govern the people of the UK. In what way is this pandering to the EU?

That is the EU that we are still fully paid up members of, and will be until at least 2019, so even if it was an EU edict, then our government would look at it and decide whether or not to ratify it. All of that is of course superfluous, because of course this has exactly nothing to do with the EU!
Pay more attention and you'l soon pick it up:doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just read back and seen the suggestion for higher mileage should = sooner MoT
Another Red Herring
There are HGV's out there with a million miles on the clock in better condition than grandmas 20,000 mile Fiesta
Its maintenance and regualar checks that make safe vehicles, not miles on the clock.
G

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back