4 leisure batteries - that should do it...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Sidney, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Sidney

Sidney Funster

I've two 110a/h batteries and run a 800w inverter on them. You'd think this would be enough for most people but if you do you'd be a man and then of course you'd be wrong :Doh:

So because the mini 600w hairdryer I bought isn't good enough I need to find a way to satisfy the demands of a hairdryer that will pull circa 2kw.

So I could...

Take out the existing inverter and buy something bigger

Or

Add two new batteries (and battery box) and use the four batteries and larger inverter to give me enough power to never go on a hook-up again.

Anyone have any practical advice or thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

explain to the wife that close crops are all the rage this year

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Ha ha - I'm not that brave

• Like Like x 1
  4. geo glasgow

geo glasgow Read Only Funster

i bought this to keep the wife happy,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251284640572?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370874845723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350839351804?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and to push the boat out with her,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350847987705?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

how does it all power,,,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181311407653?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and two of these,,,,,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281248073912?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and to store this power just to keep the kids the wife entertained ,,,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEAL-PAIR...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item27c9b4e4c7

the outcome,,,,,,wifes and kids are expensive to keep them watchin the tv when yer out and about and its raining, if there no happy then there not gona play ball and go out in the motorhome,,,,,,and when its been raining they need there hairdryer and tongs thats chick for ya,,,,, me i just shuv a dry tammy on ma head job done,,,,,:thumb:

5. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Wow! I am not alone in trying to "fix" these issues.

6. Gizmouk

Gizmouk Funster

• Like Like x 5
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

In practice most women don't use 2kw it's more likely around 1.2 without burning their hair.
    :thumb:

8. Larby

Larby Funster

If you have blown warm air heating get her to kneel in front of the vents, if you care about her, attach an old vacuum cleaner hose to the outlet so she can move it about whilst sitting.:thumb:
    Failing that there is a big diesel hair-dryer under the bonnet, set all heater vents to her side.
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

My maths may be a little out but close to 2k to dry her hair :Eeek::Eeek: My wife used to put a pony tail in :thumb::Wink::BigGrin:
    terry

10. Addie

Addie Trader - Motorhome Wifi

We used to have a 2kw inverter linked to the cab battery, when the engine was running the alternator was returning 160A back to the battery. :thumb: For us it work well for a years almost daily use, as we were wild camping and often 'moving on' in the morning - but if you stay put longer then perhaps not so practical or neighbour friendly.
    http://www.europebycamper.com/2011/06/hairdryer-from-12v-in-motorhome.html

We now have it hooked up to our 2x 125AH leisure batteries and 200w solar. We went away last weekend, Sophie used the hairdryer 3x (twice for the dog!) and still had plenty of power left when we came home.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jemhorn

jemhorn Funster

12. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Got visions of a vac hose just been removed from an old vac, connected to your vents and when you put the fans on she gets covered in old dust from the tube !!

Back to the original problem tho, how about a trailer full of batteries towed behind and to recharge them park up next to a wind turbine on a blowy day and plug in ! Glad to be of help !!

• Like Like x 1
  13. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have just 2x80ah gel batteries and 2kw inverter, works a treat for microwave coffee machine hair dryer etc, If you move every day the batts would be topped up but we have 320 watt solar and this keeps well on top of them.

Check the weight of 4x110 ah.

Martin

14. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you have a 440 Ah battery bank and use it extensively (i.e. deplete the charge significantly) how are you planning to recharge it? That would need either: a roof full of solar panels and a strong 'southern' sun; a very long drive; or EHU for probably 2 days. Also, be careful not to overload the charger. I know nothing about the system installed in a Bessacar but I know that the Schaudt system installed in a lot of continental vans is designed for banks of up to 180 Ah. In practice this can be pushed to 2 x 110Ah but the rule of thumb of 10 x the current output of the charger is reckoned to be safe. So a 440 Ah battery bank should ideally have a 44 Amp charger to load it. Not many vans have that.

If, on the other hand, you don't plan to discharge the batteries that much (obviating the need for extended recharging time) why not have a smaller battery bank and a moderate solar array on the roof. I find a 135W panel is ample for maintaining 2 x 110Ah between 1st May and 31st October. In winter, either hook up or carry an inverter generator.

15. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Another spanner

So the consensus so far seems to a bigger inverter to power microwave and hairdryer. Which is all well and good. But...

When "off site" I can run the AC (500w) off the battery and get a good 2-3 hours without killing everything. If I put in two extra batteries It'd run until the heat has gone and I can get a good nights sleep.

So with a heavy load the connecting cables between batteries need to be chunky and in an ideal world the inverter should have one connection on battery one and one connection on battery 4.

Has anyone got 4 batteries (or more) running in parallel? Any practical suggestions?:thumb:

16. Sidney

Sidney Funster

:Doh: That's such a good point - if staying more than I night in one spot I'd need to drive around to get some serious power back into the batteries. I think I'm sold on sticking with two leisure batteries and a larger inverter so she can dry her barnet.

17. Sidney

Sidney Funster

[​IMG]

This lovely inverter may be for sale soon!

18. Mastercamper

Mastercamper Read Only Funster

Not too windy though or the things will have been shut down..

Not an expert on these matters, but will your alternator be able to cope with all that battery capacity, or will you cause it some damage??:Doh: