3rd party public liability insurance for your dog ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never had this but it is required for the campsite we are visiting in France..

It is normally part of a pet's health insurance policy .. but we don't have any.. and no plans to buy.

I came across this which may be of interest..

It is provided by the Dog Trust .. 3rd party public liability insurance for your dog as part of the membership, which is £25 per annum or £12.50 if over 60

I checked on the FAQs and it does cover travel abroad for holidays..

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/get-involved/membership/

Dogs Trust membership
Join today for only £25 a year (or £12.50 if you're over 60) and get lots of benefits for you and your dog! With membership of the UK's largest dog welfare charity you'll get such a lot for your money:

• Unlimited access to VetfoneTM – a 24 hour emergency advice service from veterinary professionals.*
  • 3rd party public liability insurance for your dog – up to £1,000,000 per claim if your dog causes damage or injury to another person, their property or pets (an excess of £200 applies for the UK and £500 in the Republic of Ireland).
  • Peace of mind with our free Canine Care Card. The guarantee that Dogs Trust will take care of your dog should you pass away.
  • Wag! Magazine three times a year – packed full of doggy news, stories and tips.
Plus you'll be helping Dogs Trust give a second chance of happiness to around 16,000 dogs a year!

Is the insurance cover worldwide?
Yes. The insurance only applies to members who live in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland, however, any incident elsewhere in the world other than offshore (defined below) would be covered, but only if the trip was a holiday (i.e temporary, up to six months) by any member normally resident in the territories described above.

'Offshore' means any offshore installation in the sea or tidal waters used or intended for the drilling, exploration, production, storage or recovery of gas or oil, or any support or accommodation vessel used or intended for use in connection with such installation.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I was always under the impression that your standard household insurance gave third party cover for your dog. Worth reading the small print Jim. I once was given a load of trees to fell for firewood but required £3 million third party insurance. I contacted the house insurers and they said yes you are covered as long as no money changes hands.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good news .. thanks @Snowbird

just called The AA to check , the adviser assured me it was included in the policy..

and yes we are covered here and abroad.. 3rd part liability for the dog is not specifically mentioned but covered in this clause...

1. Your personal liability:
    We will insure you for all amounts which you have legal liability to pay as compensation for accidents not connected with the occupation of your building which result in:

l death, physical injury, disease or illness to any person other than your employees; or l loss of or damage to property.

There is a limit of £2million for all claims arising from any one accident plus costs and expenses which we agree to in writing.

There is an exclusion clause.

NOT covered

A dog listed under Section 1 of the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 or the Dangerous Dogs (Northern

Ireland) Order 1991 SI 2292 (NI 21) or any subsequent amending legislation.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Glad your sorted Jim. Many do not realise just what there household insurance does cover them for. In many cases it does go far beyond the realms of what we imagine it does. I know insurance companies sometimes get a bad press but I have generally found them most helpful if you can find someone to speak to before you actually need there help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
One of our dogs bit someone who put their hand round through the letter box - apparently delivering a leaflets.
they tried to claim off us for loss of earnings, tears and trauma etc etc.
Handed it over to our house insurers who confirmed we were covered for the dog trying to eat idiots.
They lost the claim ;)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Glad your sorted Jim. Many do not realise just what there household insurance does cover them for. In many cases it does go far beyond the realms of what we imagine it does. I know insurance companies sometimes get a bad press but I have generally found them most helpful if you can find someone to speak to before you actually need there help.

so very true.. i didn't realise there was so much more covered.. apart from the obvious..

who reads the full 8 pages of the hymn sheet .. ?

well, I have done now.. :LOL:

I guess if you don't have household or a pet plan insurance the Dog Trust membership is a good option..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back