3G Repeater

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Jim, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Anyone ever used a 3g repeater? (I understand they are illegal so don't own up if you use your real name on the forum:Smile:) but a good one would really solve the problem of a weak 3G signal in a Motorhome, especially in France. I have an option to check one out, anyone already done so, if they are only half as good as the claims I have seen then they must be worth the £200 or so that they cost. Turning a one bar signal into a solid five bars.

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

can you explain how they work please?

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Let's say you are at the bring and buy meet, notorious for a low signal. so no one can get on the net. :BigGrin: Just extend the booster aerial, turn it on and everyone within 500 square metres would have a full strength data signal. Essentially they take a weak signal, amplify it and then re-broadcast it (the illegal bit) Most will handle 50 or so users at the same time. There must be a signal present, but it will boost even the weakest mobile phone signal from all the networks:thumb:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Have a look Here Paul.

6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

That's the legal one Graham, that takes signals from outside and brings them in. AFAIK it does not amplify or rebroadcast.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Right. I see now - I'd read it slightly differently. I see now that it simply transfers a signal from one point to a point up to 10 metres away.
    Given that, I suppose that one end could be placed on top of a van (on the grounds that it would be too heavy to dangle from a flag poll in a poo bag :Smile:) with the other end at ground level, thus making the signal more easily available to all.

All we need do is find some [STRIKE]mug[/STRIKE] philanthropist with 160 quid to have a go :BigGrin:

9. runner2011

runner2011 Read Only Funster

I don't think they are illegal. In fact Vodafone and O2 (for example) are now selling units which boost your 3G signal at home. Cant imagine this is any different unless it was an industrial or "Cell" type one that needs to be licensed

10. buttons

buttons Funster

Is there a mobile unit amplifier that could be used for a mobile on the move.
    I ask because last week I was in East Angier. We started in north Norfolk and ended in Woodbridge Suffolk. I really had difficulty using both 3 phone and dongle for the entire weekend. :cry:I had a signal but it wasn't useable.
    My Orange phone was ok but nothing special.

11. runner2011

runner2011 Read Only Funster

Haven't seen one which doesn't mean there isn't one. If you do find one it would have to be SIM free for it to be any use as you will never get 100% (or close to it despite what they tell us) from any provider.