3G reception

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by skyminding, Aug 6, 2012.

1. skyminding

skyminding Read Only Funster

Hello allI'm going on an expedition to the north of Scotland and am concerned about 3G reception for iPhone. (I use it to tether to my PC). Has anybody used any sort of antenna or signal booster that improved 3G reception in remote areas? I know there are lots of devices but I'm looking for something like a roof top antenna.
    Thanks

2. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Which network are you on?

We tour regularly in the North and NW of Scotland. Most recently at Easter we travelled form John O groats to Ullapool all around the coast. 3G signal almost all the way on my iPhone on "3" network. We could tether my iPhone to laptops and iPads to it with no problem at all.

I also have another iPhone on Vodafone, what a waste of space, even if you are under a mobile mast you still can't get a decent 3G signal, even in a built up area.

If you are wilding miles off the beaten track you will most likely not get any 3G signal, even with a super dooper booster, simply because you are just not close enough to a mast.

Haver a great trip......:thumb:

:BigGrin::BigGrin:

4. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

From experience I can tell you that Huwei 3g MIFI will pick up a good solid broadband signal in areas where your 3G iPhone 5 won't. This has happened on several occasions. Obviously if there is no 3 network coverage, your stuffed.

I bought a used unit for £28 and get 3gig 3g simcards off Amazon for £10.

:Smile:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. WillH

WillH Funster

Same as Callum above, I'm on 3 and don't often have no signal when in the Highlands. We tour up there twice a year and I get a signal most places. My wife is on O2 so if I can't get a signal she sometimes can.

Rgds
    Bill

6. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Is the Vodafone data network the same as 3g network?

I am on Vodafone ,sometimes the icon on my phone will say 3g when using data.
    Do the phone companies mix and swap their available data in a certain area?

7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

3G is the type of network, rather than the network itself. All the networks have extensive 3G coverage including Vodaphone and 3. The phone companies do not mix and swap. The only exception is Orange and T Mobile, who are now part of the same group.