Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
The road to Applecross with pictures taken 34 years apart. In the original our youngest daughter was an 18 month old baby and she was sleeping in the cab when the photo was taken. Her elder sister is posing by the sign.

In the latest photo (taken last week) the 'baby' is now posing by the sign.

I well remember taking the Applecross Pass route in our 1966 Bedford converted ambulance and it was a hair raising experience. It was still a hair raising experience 34 years later in our 24 foot long MH!

It is the exact same location but they have added a couple of places to the 'route confirmatory sign' and Sheildaig seems to have managed to get a mile further away! They have most likely changed the location of where they measure the distances to.

Happy days and more to come. :)

KH

Applecross-original-640.jpg
P1010745-640.jpg

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I like before and after photos, especially if they can be combined.

Why is Shieldaig a mile further away now than it was 34 years ago? Continental drift? Inflation?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Great photos, must bring back a lot of good memories. Love the ol camper. (y)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My Dad is 71 and I am 47 and we still go on holiday together. I wonder if he thinks like you @ScotJimland ? I see it as we are helping him out by going together. (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My Dad is 71 and I am 47 and we still go on holiday together. I wonder if he thinks like you @ScotJimland ? I see it as we are helping him out by going together. (y)

Not sure what you mean..

also went with my dad on holidays until he was in his 70s, he had an Eriba Puck caravan..

last holiday was at New England CC site in 2004 , he was 78

he died in 2o12.. age 86

dad and Charlotte (age 4)

B0000495(1).JPG

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Wonderful......I like the fact that the scenery still appears as rugged and untouched by man. Is it photoshopped? Are there buildings all behind the camera?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our daughter (now 28) still ASKS to come on holiday with us..... actually she begs. Mind if we do go without her she says we need to find a responsible adult to look after us as we are a pair of delinquents (or so she claims).

Our 32 year old son and his son are coming with us in September which will be great fun :)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
What a great post @Photo4x4

I used to drive an Essex Ambulance like that in '66. It wasn't in that colour scheme - it was yellow, but had half aluminium sides. A proper stretcher too, none of your namby-pambi trolley beds or hydraulic lift then. Ahhh the memories!

Great pics though. Worthy of an article in a magazine.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Great pics, we have just done the "Pass of the Cattle" to Applecross two weeks ago and it seemed to have better roads now than when we last did it around forty years ago. The campsite at Applecross leaves a lot to be desired though.

OP
OP
Photo4x4

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
The campsite at Applecross leaves a lot to be desired though.
Yes especially when compared to other sites further North! I am about to do a review on UK Campsites.

The children flew the nest long ago but love visiting us and also love our 'holiday within a holiday' when we go away in 'the van whilst they are up here'. :)

KH

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Having just done a month in Scotland we found most sites expensive compared to CC main sites and also the scots don't seem to believe in any form of heating in the blocks. We think we are hard in the north of England, can't imagine what it must feel like to the southerners. ;)

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
We just come out of Scotland yesterday after eight weeks and we are from the south and we survived. We found they also left the windows open in high cold winds which did not help the temperature in the showers block. But they were all very clean.
Having just done a month in Scotland we found most sites expensive compared to CC main sites and also the scots don't seem to believe in any form of heating in the blocks. We think we are hard in the north of England, can't imagine what it must feel like to the southerners. ;)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Probably saw you at some point as most campers paths cross a time or two on the "grand tour."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back