30A Split charger Relay ...Q's

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by davidallan, May 10, 2012.

1. davidallan

davidallan Funster

I have just aquired a 'Smartcom' split charge 30a unit via Fleebay...

It seems even with the intermittant SUN showing itself now and again my Roof Solar panels 150w Total output is managing to FILL the 220ah Liesure batteries well and good.....sometimes putting in 6+amps when I've used some Leccy / Gadgets.

So...The charge regulator 'FULL' light is flashing away. Presumably wasting Volts & Amps being generated ??:Doh: Hence this new Smartcom Gadget- so as to fill the Vehicle starter battery.

Q1 However the Wire connector block/s do not look as though it could take 30A+ cable...maybe 20a max wire...is this OK ?

Q2 In my liesure Battery compartmet there is room to put this small Box unit ...shall I just connect up to the existing wiring - whatever Amps it is ?? [The Starter Battery feed comes there AND the solar panel Feed also.]

Any other relevant input MOST welcome.,

'56 Plate Transit Kentucky [same factory as Rimor] Thanks---David

2. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Thought a split charge relay was for the other direction. ie alternator to charge leisure batteries.

I think you need something called a battery master to charge the van battery up off solar?

3. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

4. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I bought a little gizmo off ebay some time ago to do the same job. It is about the size of a matchbox, with one wire going to the positive on the leisure battery, one to the starter battery and one common earth. It senses when the leisure battery is full and then diverts any excess power the solars produce to the engine battery. Took me about 20 minutes to fit and works a treat. Cant remember how much it was but it wasn't expensive.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

6. edgy

edgy Funster

I bought one of those but the guy who fit my solar panel advised me not to fit it because it would overheat due to the fact that i had a schott 100 battery charger for my leisure batteries. Can anyone please give me any advice.

7. Techno

Complete tosh

• Like Like x 1
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

30a is the maximum current the relay can handle without meltdown

but i suppose it might work if its powered from the 'house' battery as the solar charge voltage should be higher than the 'house' battery voltage.

the relay doesn't know what a house battery or engine battery is...just that it is connected to one which if higher charged than the other it will pass charge.

the problem arises when you start the engine....the two batteries are still linked (Via the solar panels output voltage) with no way to separate them, and the current drawn from the engine battery by the starter (maybe 600amps plus) will also be drawn from the 'house' battery and will certainly blow the fuse (you would use a fuse, wouldnt you:RollEyes:) and could cause damage to the relay and wiring

9. Techno

I believe John is replying to the OP and his 30amp relay?

10. aba

aba

if i was fitting this i would wire it through a changeover relay that disconnects when ignition is switched on thus separating the batteries before starting the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I had a beer or two tonight but in my drunken fugue what you say kinda makes sense. I will confirm tomorrow when I can focus on the screen :Laughing:...

Aba, that is starting to sound like a complex system now.....:Doh::cry:

12. davidallan

davidallan Funster

...& I thought this was going to be EASY !!

Thanks to Gromett,Techno & Snowbird + ALL....
    When the going gets Tough.,The Tough get going.....:Eeek::Eeek:

Gromett:....Really just wanted to put Excess solar power to good use & send it to the Starter battery:RollEyes: When M/H is driving along I am 99.9% sure the alternator does already charge my L/Batts after Topping up the S/Batt. .....with the existing default wiring .

Techno: It seems to be the same sort of Gadget..[now wheres that link??] Fleebay describes it as "SPLIT CHARGE RELAY-12V 30A SELF SWITCHING CAMPER VAN"-SMARTCOM/BROCOT...

Snowbird: Yes ,also looked at that one & thought- More money for a Green LED !?!..[I'll put a 12vLED in the wiring myself...] .its the 'Yorkshire' Born & Bred thingy :thumb:

By the time this all sorted out ....I'll be able to wire it up AND it wont be raining:Sad:
    THANKS to all --SO FAR:thumb: