30 Day Defence Against Motorhome Lemons?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I've been working on some content to fill a new front portal for motorhomefun. I wrote an article today that I know many of you will find interesting. The New 30 Day Reject Rule. It comes into force this October and might ensure those motorhome dealer pre-delivery-inspections actually get done :) Link to article

• Like Like x 17
  2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Great work. Thank you.

3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

22Time limit for short-term right to reject
    (4) applies) is the end of 30 days beginning with the first day after these have all happened—

(3) and (4) do not prevent the consumer exercising the short-term right to reject before something mentioned in subsection (3)(a), (b) or (c) has happened.

(3) or (4) stops running for the length of the waiting period.

(7)If goods supplied by the trader in response to that request or agreement do not conform to the contract, the time limit for exercising the short-term right to reject is then either—

(a)7 days after the waiting period ends, or

(b)if later, the original time limit for exercising that right, extended by the waiting period.

(8)The waiting period—

(a)begins with the day the consumer requests or agrees to the repair or replacement of the goods, and

(b)ends with the day on which the consumer receives goods supplied by the trader in response to the request or agreement.

• Like Like x 1
  4. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Jim, I have looked through the legislation quickly and cannot find out whether this applies only to new goods, or does it apply to second hand ones as well.

5. Fletton

Fletton Funster

And I thought it was some sort of protection against "bitter" n' twisted folk joining the Funster forums.. Ha!..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim

Jim Ringleader

From what I can see it is all goods new and second-hand, (even digital goods, like ebooks) and sold by a trader. Private sales hinge upon being as described.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  7. carolyn

carolyn Funster

Wish that had been in place in March as we would have got a refund, instead we are still fighting to get things done, the latest is the aircon, Vanbitz told us it wasn't working last week, today we were told by Fiat professional that although there is a unit it hasn't been connected, part has to come from Italy. So clearly not checked by Fiat commercial, IH or Nickwhale. Thank you Jim as we will be better prepared next time!

• Like Like x 1
  8. swanseajack13

swanseajack13 Funster

JIM about time to lets hope they enforce this rule, sunny in Swansea lol still lol ray

9. Lizi

Lizi Funster

So presumably this should cover payload too?? Something is not fit for purpose if you tell the dealer it needs to transport two of you plus bikes etc and then you get to the weighbridge and are overweight before you put in clothes etc.
    I cannot believe that dealers are not legally obliged to weigh the van as sold and indicate the current payload with any awnings etc fitted. I am new to motorhoming and I must say this has come as something of a shock. I spoke to someone at the place you phone to get things uprated about a particular motorhome (can't remember the name of the company but heard about it on the forum - he was so helpful). But he did say he gets people contacting him who cannot use their van because the payload is so low.

10. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

We check (y) It is amazing though that these things can happen. Actually its appalling :(

11. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

That's going to open a few eyes lol The number of times you read that people have a problem with some thing so flog it!

• Like Like x 1
  12. mariner

mariner Funster Life Member

All very well on paper but if the dealer refuses to accept the rejected goods back, what then?

I would imagine, on high net worth goods, things will not change much, the dealer will refuse a refund and will insist that repairs be carried out, just as they do now.

Eventually it will all go to court or the customer will give up, much as they do now.

As with all legislation, if it's not Policed, then it's not worth the paper it's written on.

:cooler:

13. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

will be good to some ,if it works only time will tell (y)

14. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Well retailers seem to accept the Distance Selling Regulations & banks accept (just) Section 75, so I expect most reputable dealers/retailers will have to find a way.

15. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

This is good news as a few years ago we could have used it and not lost £12000 on a van due to finding damp after 3 months.
    As to the payload, a lot of dealers don't even know themselves. A couple of them after asking have gone to find out or nor even contacted me back.
    The latest one we looked at had a 295 payload, miniscule, and wouldn't have suited us, the dealer didn't tell us even though we were very interested in the van. We did sone research, told him our findings and he nodded as if to agree that it wasn't enough.

16. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

:imoutahere:LIt does realy amaze me that people will spend tens of thousands of pounds without doing reserch and knowing all the pitfalls any amount of legislation will not alter this . The old saying about afool and his money comes to mind . STAN:reel: