Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
mclouis Tandy 640 plus
Exp
Hi,

Has anyone found a Motorhome insurer that only asks about the last 3 years of claims history? Standard seems to be 5 years but I did find a few car insurers recently that only asked about the last 3 years.

Cheers
Dave

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
comfort insurance gives full no claims unless you claim when insured with them

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
mine in a tad over £200 fully comp ( without european breakdown , which can be added ) (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Dave Hodson

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
mclouis Tandy 640 plus
Exp
Hi, Thanks for the reply and hello. My wife has to own/drive the Motorhome at the moment cos I've got 3 claims (one was a big smash in France in the Motorhome after breaks failed; v expensive!). My wife has built up NCB discount on the Motorhome and on my car I've got 10+ years as its always protected (not really relevant)

The problem is the claims, 3 claims is a red flag to insurers and the premiums are sky high with me on the insurance. However if any insurer only asks for the last 3 years of claims history then one of my claims has expired.

Cheers
Dave

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Have you thought about insuring the 'van for your wife only to drive.

It might seem a little drastic but it would only be for a couple of years until your claims fell off the end of the Insurance Co.s hard drive.

We've gone the 'other way' Apparently it costs less to insure the vehicles if both of you are on the Policy BUT, in the case of injury to one of the parties, it would be demanded of the Insurance Co. that the other driver would drive the 'van.
SWMBO (the missus) didn't want to drive under such circs and reluctantly I've taken her off the 'vans Insurance.

OP
OP
D

Dave Hodson

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
mclouis Tandy 640 plus
Exp
Hi, thats what we've been doing for a couple of years. With me on the insurance its £1,700 so I just signed the van over to my wife and she drives it. I can get short term insurance for £30/day in the UK if we have a long distance but 2bh we've never done this. The policy's up in March and I think my wife would like not to have to do all the driving...

There probably isn't an MH insurer out there that just considers 3 years as the markets more niche than cars but thought it worth an ask.

Cheers

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I don't know about number of claims but have always found the NFU to be extremely good about taking on cover.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Have you thought about insuring the 'van for your wife only to drive.

It might seem a little drastic but it would only be for a couple of years until your claims fell off the end of the Insurance Co.s hard drive.

We've gone the 'other way' Apparently it costs less to insure the vehicles if both of you are on the Policy BUT, in the case of injury to one of the parties, it would be demanded of the Insurance Co. that the other driver would drive the 'van.
SWMBO (the missus) didn't want to drive under such circs and reluctantly I've taken her off the 'vans Insurance.

I'm thinking of going down the route of taking Angela off the policy. As I am the old fart of the pair of us I am more likely to be incapacitated while away and Angela doesn't want to drive, spesh abroad and even health insurance will demand named drivers bring the MoHo home rather that they pay to have it recovered.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm thinking of going down the route of taking Angela off the policy. As I am the old fart of the pair of us I am more likely to be incapacitated while away and Angela doesn't want to drive, spesh abroad and even health insurance will demand named drivers bring the MoHo home rather that they pay to have it recovered.

That was exactly our situation. Some pi11ock on a scooter tried to commit suicide last year by trying to turn right in front of us as we were overtaking him.
SWMBO had the shock of seeing a helmeted yoof travel down the side of the car as I'm trying to go onto the 'wrong' side of the road in an effort to avoid launching him into the next County. Cheeky sod even tried to get £40 out of us for repairs to his shed of a bike, after he admitted that his indicators didn't work

Unfortunately, it's had the effect of crushing what confidence she had and she no longer wishes to drive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back