3 sim Huawei mi fi question/help (1 Viewer)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
My 12 gigs sim is due to run out at the end of April which should see me to the end of my trip abroad, but I don't know how much data I have left. The Huawei app on my phone says I've used 12g but my 3 account says I still have 2g left Which is right? I have a new 3 sim with 24gig on it, but not sure if I have to activate it in the Uk before I can use it abroad. Also do I have to do anything special to activate roaming data? Getting the ferry on Wednesday so would like to get this sorted before I find myself cut off. Help please.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
My 12 gigs sim is due to run out at the end of April which should see me to the end of my trip abroad, but I don't know how much data I have left. The Huawei app on my phone says I've used 12g but my 3 account says I still have 2g left Which is right? I have a new 3 sim with 24gig on it, but not sure if I have to activate it in the Uk before I can use it abroad. Also do I have to do anything special to activate roaming data? Getting the ferry on Wednesday so would like to get this sorted before I find myself cut off. Help please.
To answer your questions specifically ...

I would trust the 3 account rather than the app if it's still allowing you internet access, however, it could be that there is just over 12gb on so the Huawei COULD be right too ....

You don't have to activate the new sim in the UK, just do it when you need it abroad.

Activate roaming - yes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Minxy Girl is correct, who am I to argue with a lady. :)

The 12g shown on the app is how much you have used since it was reset. So when you put in a new card, use the app to reset it to zero, then it will be about right ishhhhhh, but the diffinitive answer will always be the 3 website.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Your account should be accurate. The MiFi has its own way of counting which may be and probably is different to the way Three do it. For example, Three can only count the data usage they see. If you are on another network in Europe there will be some data exchange first with the local network and then you will be connected to Three. This first data usage (a sort of "handshake") will be invisible to Three so won't count against your allowance but the MiFi will count it.
I believe. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What I'm struggling with is an easy way to manage multiple PAYG sim cards. The Three account system seems exclusively based on the actual device number rather than you as an individual. If it was the latter you could perhaps register several sim cards and know how much was left on each one.
I think the easiest way is just to keep using each card until they tell me it is empty then put another one in. :)

Deleted User
What I'm struggling with is an easy way to manage multiple PAYG sim cards. The Three account system seems exclusively based on the actual device number rather than you as an individual. If it was the latter you could perhaps register several sim cards and know how much was left on each one.
I think the easiest way is just to keep using each card until they tell me it is empty then put another one in. :)

The 'my3' website recognises individual PAYG sim numbers without logging in to give the data figures so I can see no reason why it should not be possible to use multiple cards, I am sure that I have done this in the past.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The 'my3' website recognises individual PAYG sim numbers without logging in to give the data figures so I can see no reason why it should not be possible to use multiple cards, I am sure that I have done this in the past.
Thanks for that, I'll have another look.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
As I haven't registered my current sim with 3 I guess I will just have to use the app or wait until it no longer works.
Do you all register with 3 and is there any advantage?

Richard.

Deleted User
As I haven't registered my current sim with 3 I guess I will just have to use the app or wait until it no longer works.
Do you all register with 3 and is there any advantage?

Richard.

As far as I know the only reason to register a PAYG sim with 3 is in order to top it up, which I have done but whatever PAYG sim I have used I have always been able to check data usage without logging in.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just spoken with Three and they said I can't add other PAYG cards to my account.

Handy Sue

Free Member
Jun 21, 2011
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
next month
Exp
My three data sim was 12 months old last November, they havent switched it off, I am still using it. It may possibly be because I do not register it with three, I have no idea how much data is left, when It runs out I have another ready to put in.

Deleted User
Just spoken with Three and they said I can't add other PAYG cards to my account.

What do you mean by your account?

I do not have a 3 payg sim in my mifi at the moment but in the past when I have attempted to log in to the my three site it sometimes lists all the numbers of the sims that I have used in the past and a different password for each.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What do you mean by your account?

I do not have a 3 payg sim in my mifi at the moment but in the past when I have attempted to log in to the my three site it sometimes lists all the numbers of the sims that I have used in the past and a different password for each.
Intriguing, there may be different sorts of account. I log into "My Three" using the phone number of the card I had at the time. I had a look on the site for places I could add additional cards which was why I rang them when I couldn't find anything.
The login page looks like this:

Screenshot_20170314-162756.png

Deleted User
Intriguing, there may be different sorts of account. I log into "My Three" using the phone number of the card I had at the time. I had a look on the site for places I could add additional cards which was why I rang them when I couldn't find anything.

View attachment 152227

Yes, that's the page that i get, I can't remember exactly how the list comes up, the last time i had the 3 sim in the mifi it recognised the number of the sim in the device and gave the usage data for that sim. I hadn't used that sim since December and I checked the usage prior to inserting the sim into a smartphone to use whilst we were in Spain for a few days, I have a NOS sim in a different mifi in Portugal.

I will have a play later and see exactly what happens.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I've got a bookmark set-up on laptops that takes me directly to My3 Home and gives me this (bottom half of the page) -
upload_2017-3-14_17-12-44.png

I then click on "Data Allowance" and it gives me this -
upload_2017-3-14_17-13-9.png

From memory, I don't register each card. I replace rather than topping up.

As you can see 0 credit left on the card that's currently in it.

Deleted User

View attachment 152227

Further update:

My laptop logs me in automatically when using a 3 sim, I have just used 2 different 12Gb sims in the mifi and logged in automatically OK with both sims and obtained the correct data usage.

When I try to log into My3 via a non 3 sim it gives me a list of saved numbers and will log in if I use the correct password.

Conclusion: Once registered it seems to log in automatically on my laptop regardless of which sim is in the device.

When I tried to register one of the sims it would not let me but would log in when used in the mifi.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just a word of warning, be careful when putting in and especially taking out sims from MIFIs ... if you are too rough you can put the contacts inside out of alignment, or out of the unit completely ... then it's stuffed!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back