3 phone network

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by shunter, Oct 3, 2012.

1. shunter

shunter Funster

Good afternoon all, I am thinking of changeling over to 3 was wandering if any body has had problems with coverage on the 3 network.
    Thanks
    Nev:thumb:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In my experience 3 is very good.

When I first wanted a mobile dongle I plumped for T-Mobile on the grounds that their coverage was better (this was early 2007) and they were supposed to be merging their coverage network with 3. The network merger never happened and I found T-Mobile coverage to be less than promised. As soon as my two year contract was up I had the dongle unlocked and obtained a PAYG SIM from 3.

I had been with Vodafone for voice for many years but switched to 3 on that as well because of the Skype on 3 service as well as the better coverage.

I now have a PAYG MiFi for when we are away in the van and the only place I've failed to obtain a signal was at the Thetford meet last year. I also have a 3 contract handset which includes mobile Internet and found it gives better coverage than Vodafone did.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

Have to agree - had problems with the Vodafone dongle, but since switching to the 3, I have only failed to get a connection at the Highland Mini Meet. Even then, it I had walked a couple of hundred yards up the road I could have accessed a phone signal :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. aba

aba

for mobile internet they are one of the best.
    their customer service for their phones used to be dreadful you may as well have asked a tree for help and probably got more sense out of the tree.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Their customer service is still pretty dire - but no worse than any of the others. They do respond positively to e-mail complaints to the chief exec though :thumb:

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I dumped Vodafone a few years ago and upon someone recomendation, switch to 3

Best thing I ever did.. Never lost the signal ( completely ) yet.. Been in some iffy places but never had zero signal.. Well pleased ( and I got a great deal too... Unlimited internet, 400 minutes and 500 texts for £15.00 a month

Oh and when using it abroad, it has worked out really well too

I did start looking at Gifgaf, but after visiting the web site decided def not for me.. Absolutely NO way to contact them if their is a problem and after 15 frustrating minutes no info on European usage that I could find..

I dunno if they have another web site.. I just followed a link in spam I got from them

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Update on Giffgaff
    Found another web site.. got a few answers but then checked on coverage in my area.. Ok for voice but naff all for data !

makes me even more glad I am with 3

BTW, every year before I travel abroad I have foned the help desk ( its a free number ) and booked the extra euro-roaming package .. I have given precise dates and the very helpful folk I have spoken to have always done the biz exactly as ordered ( costs me an extra £5.00 a month whilst I am abroad )

• Like Like x 2
  8. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We have had no trouble with Three in the 5 years since we have been with them except for last month when in Tewkesbury when it was sooooooo slow so we popped into a three shop and they said one of their masts had blown up but that it would shortly be fixed and realigned!!!
    Dont know if that is baloney or not but now we are at Warwick the download speed is very fast.
    The place we found pretty poor was in Devon though and in the brecon beacons but I imagine all signals to be poor there!!
    Oh and in remote parts of Scotland!
    So good Tez has it on his phone now.
    I use vodaphone on my phone as I can pay £2.50 for a month to get free 0845 ,0800 and 0871 calls from my phone, handy as I dont have a land line.

9. lorger

lorger Funster

I am with Tesco which i think is same as o2 and Lorraine and Sophie are with 3 we thought it would be a good idea to go with different networks to give us more chance of a signal due to lots of countryside and hills around us and have to say im pleased with both do think Lorraine gets a slightly better coverage than me though. We also have a 3 dongle and never failed to find internet with it yet.

10. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Have a three mifi, and to be honest it is faster and cheaper than landline based internet!

It has only gone down on two occasions, both due to extreme rain. The mast is in the midlands, so that has an effect if either they or us have extreme weather - but it has to be absolute deluge!

Very good - I would even go as fart as saying it is better and faster than landline!

To give an example - went to dowload a program for the computers at home and work. Work is landline took 2 minutes - the mifi dongle took 24 seconds.

11. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

The wife has 3 I'm on EE. I always seem to have signal where she doesn't.

12. dylan

dylan Read Only Funster

We get a good 3 signal in the wilds of Wales !