3 Network Data SIM bargain... (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Don't know what this is all about but it says free data on 3, all it says is you have to register ???
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=262339441242&globalID=EBAY-GB
Not quite - you have to top it up with at least £10 for 1gb data for 30 days then you get the 200mb of free data each month.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March2016/three-data-reward-sim-gives-you-free-data.html

The sim comes free when you top up anyway:

http://www.three.co.uk/datareward?id=1206&aidset=1

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If you buy a second 3 PAYG £30x12gbx365 then you have to initialise it in the UK before you can use it abroad.

I can't find anything on the 3 website to confirm this one way or the other. It is certainly the case that pay monthly contract SIMs must be activated in the UK, but several people on here have spoken of successfully activating PAYG SIMs from abroad.

For PAYG SIM cards that are already active, but have run out of data, 3 do recommend both topping up the account & converting some credit to an Add-On before leaving the UK. You generally can't top up by credit card on-line once you are out of credit anyway, whether in the UK or abroad, because with no data allowance, you can only connect to 3's own website. If your credit card insists on additional security, such as Verified by Visa, this will fail as soon as it tries to connect to the verification server.

There is (or was a few weeks ago) a problem with 3's own systems. If you were out of data, you couldn't convert existing account credit to a data Add-On on-line, despite it all being within 3's own website. You had to phone them & get them to do it, even though no credit card required.

The cards referred to in this offer already have the Add-on applied, so they are all ready to go. There wouldn't appear to be any account related constraint on them being first used abroad, but it may be that the technical side of the account doesn't exist until first use - so the foreign network can't find anything to connect to when it tries to interlink with 3. That is pure guesswork on my part.

Similarly if you buy a 3 pay monthly sim you are constrained by how much you can use it abroad. Do your research.
Having done the research on this point, I can confirm that pay monthly customers who have data allowances in excess of 12GB per month are restricted to 12GB per month while in 'Feel at Home' countries. Also, even if your contract allows tethering while in the UK, it is not allowed while abroad. Anecdotally, the application of this ban appears to be inconsistent, with some people reporting that it has worked - at least for a limited time.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not quite - you have to top it up with at least £10 for 1gb data for 30 days then you get the 200mb of free data each month.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/March2016/three-data-reward-sim-gives-you-free-data.html

The sim comes free when you top up anyway:

http://www.three.co.uk/datareward?id=1206&aidset=1
How I read it you only have to pay once and you still get your 200 a month even though the talk and text stop unless you top up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Please don't take umbrage from earlier post, lots of us are grateful, I don't expect they meant it to sound rude. I have bought one on this offer and an just assuming i will stick it in my mifi and it will work like the 3 month ones. Like you I don't understand how wifi 3g etc works but I don't understand electricity either and that has been working for ages! I have just had to take a leap of faith and trust it, so far so good.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Forgive me for saying so but I have been posting details about the '3' sims for a while - see the various Carphone Warehouse mifi threads! :)

However it is always worth posting again about things like this as the threads soon disappear from the front page of the forum! (y)

Mel I also mentioned this SIM deal in another thread. Then thought many would miss it unless they read all of that other thread. I always seem to miss the bargains cos Im a lazy ar$e and dont always read every post in every thread.

On that other thread where I mentioned it not one person has picked up on it !

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Maybe just me but 3's servers seem to be down?

Back up again!

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Ive now done my research...;);)

Thecaller wrote above
Having done the research on this point, I can confirm that pay monthly customers who have data allowances in excess of 12GB per month are restricted to 12GB per month while in 'Feel at Home' countries. Also, even if your contract allows tethering while in the UK, it is not allowed while abroad. Anecdotally, the application of this ban appears to be inconsistent, with some people reporting that it has worked - at least for a limited time.

So that saves me writing/ repeating that.

We can buy more than one card. We can run them consecutively with no problems at all. We are in no way tied in to the 3 Network in any shape form or fashion. We use these cards just like a tank of fuel. Use it fill it when empty. Easy which is just how I like it.

For me 12gb will last the year given my limited use when away. I only surf web pages and come on here to be corrected and critticised by every Thomas Richard and Harold. So one 30 nicker card will be it for one whole year. There will be no need to top up which I believe can be a pain when abroad. That for me is a bonus. I mean I am incredibly thick and fail to research things so I need the ease and simplicity of a one time pay and go type product.

You know I sometimes have to smile at the replies given on a forum inhabited largely by mature adults....

With the best of intentions I and others take the time to post up information with one thing and only one thing in mind. That is to share information and on subjects and products to the benefit of our fellow members. This is intended on my part as a small return for the information I have drawn here on this forum since buying our motor home. But... Only here do we get critticised and corrected and spoken to rudely..

Its like giving someone a gold bar and them then complaining its not shiny enough... :):)

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@Charlie..I dont see anywhere where you have been spoken to rudely, but maybe thats just me. Dont like a comment then just brush it aside. No good in anyone trying to nitpick or pointscore. Just undoes the good of the thread.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
this any help to anyone
http://store.three.co.uk/view/content/basket

Have just bought 2 (1 for relative ) no probs :)

Possibly not as link returned this (well it did for me). Going to local store today to see about it.

upload_2016-3-25_9-24-19.png

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
@Charlie Re. rudeness etc

I think the 'Do your research' comment can be read two ways.

It could be read as a rebuke to you - as a suggestion that you had failed to do the research that you should have done.

Or it could be read as a general warning that because we all have different needs & because 3 don't make it exactly easy to know what the various conditions & limitations are, everyone needs to check for themselves to ensure that what they are buying really does meet their own needs.

On going back & reading again, I think that the second meaning was the one intended. It is a lesson to all of us that the written word doesn't easily convey tone of voice - it's very easy to hear oneself saying out loud what you have just written & the meaning is crystal clear. Try reading it again in a different tone of voice & suddenly you realise that someone else may interpret what has been written very differently.

In any event, I hope nobody is put off from trying to help. These helpful posts are the lifeblood of this forum. If advice is given that we disagree with, we don't have to respond with 'Don't be stupid'. We can say 'Excuse me, old chap, but I have sometimes found that it works better if you do XYZ instead.' :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You need to link to the page before that one - you can't link someone else into your own shopping basket. Apart from anything else, it times out after 10 minutes anyway.

Try this - the 12GB deal is the top one (or at least, it was for me).

Wasn't signed in was the next step along from your link but hey ho worked fine for me eventually comes to a register and method of payment .
Have used one or two over the years never top em up .just use next in line .
Hope you get sorted (y)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not offended but the Do your research comment was just ridiculous..

All I did in posting the above information was to give a heads up to anyone who might just want a contract free good value lasting SIM with which to gain access to the Internet while away. Nowt more Nowt less.

I have said above I know little about computers or how these cards work other than installing one in a device like the Heuwie many of us have will give the above.

Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully.
Thanks Charlie I'm going to try and pick one up today; sorry you have had problems trying to help other folks, there's always a smart a***

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Charlie !!!
I like your style and choice of words, but mostly I appreciate your generosity in putting it on the forum for others to benefit from.
And I am sure that there are PLENTY of others who feel the same, but are not wanting to get embroiled in any "Argy Bargy". I don't think there was any malice in it, but can see that a careless choice of words can feel like a slap in the kisser !!
We are VERY grateful for your altruism and thoughtfulness.
Take care, keep smiling and breath deeply....
Mitch. ;););).

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks to @Charlie for bringing this to our attention. We were just going to top up our data sim but got a much better deal buying one of these this morning.(y)

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
Thank you for your most valuable information..... Don't expect thanks but don't expect to get told to do research either...

Next time I find a bargain that may benefit others I will say sod all.
Please don't do that, there are lots of us who value the thumbs up that people like you give,

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
the 3 talk, text and data worked brilliantly in my phone abroad, I used mine for 5 months, but you cannot tether abroad, although you can in uk.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the 3 talk, text and data worked brilliantly in my phone abroad, I used mine for 5 months, but you cannot tether abroad, although you can in uk.
I put my regular payg phone sim in my mifi and tethered to it.
Shortly after I got a message from 3 along the lines.......Oi ! Put it back in the phone, Tethering now allowed.
That was in the UK.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie..I dont see anywhere where you have been spoken to rudely, but maybe thats just me. Dont like a comment then just brush it aside. No good in anyone trying to nitpick or pointscore. Just undoes the good of the thread.

It is often not what it is said but how its said.... Manners and the odd and/or smilie cost nothing. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back