3 Mobile broadband for £5 per month (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Seen this advertised and thought it was worth a punt ..

Sim card cost is £3.95 plus a £10 top up

That gives TWO months internet access, fair usage policy is 2gb per month
can then top up as required.

Ordered yesterday and the sim card came today, followed the very easy set up instructions and was on line in about 15 mins..

very happy..

Link Removed

Blackeunos

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi Jim,

Where did you get the sim, I have a 3 dongle and the best I can get is £10 for 1 gig and that only lasts a month.

Regards
Stewart

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim,

Where did you get the sim, I have a 3 dongle and the best I can get is £10 for 1 gig and that only lasts a month.

Regards
Stewart

Hi , see link in post :winky:

Then choose:

SHOP

Internet

Unlimited Mobile broadband

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi Jim,

Regards
Stewart

I also use 3.co and I get 5gig for £15 a month on a rolling contract and can be canceled with 1 months notice.

Jim I would not manage on only 2 gig a month, with 2 computers running of the link the updates would swallow most of 2 gig.

Doug

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Jim

Im a total numpty when it comes to stuff like this but could i use this abroad if not do you know of any good deals for going to germany and italy i also dont have a dongle so where is best place for one of them.

Cheers Gerry

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim

Im a total numpty when it comes to stuff like this but could i use this abroad if not do you know of any good deals for going to germany and italy i also dont have a dongle so where is best place for one of them.

Cheers Gerry

Hi Gerry

yes and no, it will work but you would incur heavy roaming charges.. :Sad:

When abroad I used free wifi spots, such as McDonald , libraries etc , I don't know any affordable sims to use abroad, others may be able to advise.

Look on ebay for dongles, get one that is unlocked so it can be used with any network sim

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I also use 3.co and I get 5gig for £15 a month on a rolling contract and can be canceled with 1 months notice.

Jim I would not manage on only 2 gig a month, with 2 computers running of the link the updates would swallow most of 2 gig.

Doug

I can see that if it's used as a home connection, but mine will only be used when away.. I have adsl broadband at home

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Slightly off subject but connected.

I have 2 Broad band dongles, a 3.co and a Vodafone. Both companies have their antenna's on the same mast.

Because the 3.co is a lot cheaper than the vodafone I use the 3.co and not the vodafone.

Lately the link on 3.co has been getting pretty bad when using Skype video connection so I have just tried the Vodafone one to see if it was the same. The Vodafone link was far better and I would love yo use it but there deals on PAYG are far too expensive.

Doug...

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
My contract with 3 was coming to an end and I used to get 3gb for £7.50 a month but was using up all my allowance every month and I used to be pretty measly when using it, even refused my grandadughter Cbb's as I dint have much allowance so told 3 that I was leaving to go to O2 who could give me more allowance and guess what I got 15gb now for £15 a month with a super new wi fi dongle which throws a signal to 5 other laptops with a 32 gb memory card in it ALL for £15 a month fantastic deal I think?? just tell em you are leaving and see what they come up with, thats for folks with a contract obviously!!!:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think that mine must still be a good deal then. I started with an 18 month contract but kept it after that period ended. 3 GB still cost me £7.50 month. In that time the service has improved beyond recognition. In fact I am using it as we speak.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have 2 Broad band dongles, a 3.co and a Vodafone. Both companies have their antenna's on the same mast.

Doesn't necessarily mean signal quality is the same. One of the reasons I stopped using T-Mobile was that I couldn't get a signal at Lincoln Showground last September whilst "3" users had an excellent signal. I don't know if Vodafone and "3" share a mast there but I managed on GPRS on Vodafone, not 3G.

Graham

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
My Vodafone dongle contract is about to finish. I have paid £15 per month for the last 2 years. It was great at first and I needed it for business so its more than paid for itself but I have noticed in the last year the service isnt as good. One thought I had was to just dump the dongle all together and use an old Nokia N95 as a modem. My Vodafone phone contract includes unlimited internet (it isnt however unlimited) and I am paying £17.50 per month for that, 700 minutes and unlimited land line calls. Why not just use the phone as a dongle? Might be worth checking your phone contracts if you have unlimited internet you may not need a dongle.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
SIMs abroad

I'm still trying to find where I can get a SIM to use in my unlocked dongle when we go to France/Belgium. I am beginning to wonder if it is possible at all!
Wyn

Hi Gerry

yes and no, it will work but you would incur heavy roaming charges.. :Sad:

When abroad I used free wifi spots, such as McDonald , libraries etc , I don't know any affordable sims to use abroad, others may be able to advise.

Look on ebay for dongles, get one that is unlocked so it can be used with any network sim

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi Jim,

Interestingly the website you link to seems to imply that it is their 'instructions' that make this work.

Have they found a certain technique for using the three service to the best advantage or is this a specific data plan that three do?

Bryan

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim,

Interestingly the website you link to seems to imply that it is their 'instructions' that make this work.

Have they found a certain technique for using the three service to the best advantage or is this a specific data plan that three do?

Bryan

Hi Bryan

yes, they have found a way of getting this deal , it is not a specific 3 plan, so in essence you are paying the £3.95 for a 3 sim with the 'secret' instructions ..

It is perfectly legit , they are only exploiting a loophole on the 3 site

I first saw it advertised on ebay, so being a tight wad thought it was worth a punt, :roflmto:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi Bryan

It is perfectly legit , they are only exploiting a loophole on the 3 site

That's what I thought :winky:

Loopholes can be closed though, but not a great deal of money if it does...

I'm almost curious enough to pay as I love a good loophole :ROFLMAO:

Guess I'll wait until someone publishes it (or pm's me ::bigsmile: )

Bryan

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Help please Jim

Help Jim :RollEyes:

OK, so I sent off for the sim card which has now arrived and I understand the instructions.

But - there is a small slot in the side of my dongle (free following a tip from here months ago), and the sim won't fit into it.

Having put on my glasses I can now see it reads MICRO on the little opening thingy on the dongle.

What should I do now? Do I need another dongle?

Gill

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

OK, so I sent off for the sim card which has now arrived and I understand the instructions.

But - there is a small slot in the side of my dongle (free following a tip from here months ago), and the sim won't fit into it.

Having put on my glasses I can now see it reads MICRO on the little opening thingy on the dongle.

Gill

Hi

I think that is a memory card slot you are looking at ..

the sim slot is at the end of the dongle, there is a pull out tray close to the usb plug that holds the sim .. use your finger nail to pull it out , pop the sim in and push the tray back.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years

Gill

Micro is for a micro sd memory card, the slot for the sim is as Jim describes :thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Jim - well explained. So simple when you know. :Doh:

Gill

PaulDoesItAll

Free Member
Jul 23, 2010
Funster No
Thanks Jim, Update for rest ;)

That's what I thought :winky:

Loopholes can be closed though, but not a great deal of money if it does...

I'm almost curious enough to pay as I love a good loophole :ROFLMAO:

Guess I'll wait until someone publishes it (or pm's me ::bigsmile: )

Bryan

Hi Guys,

My name is Paul, owner of pauldoesitall.co.uk and seller of the now infamous Mobile Broadband Sim that JimScotland is talking about (Thanks for that Jim) ...

I thought i'd join up and clarify a few things just for those who are umming and arring ..

OK ... the "loophole" has been going strong for a little under a year now and 3 have just changed their registration process and consequently I had to rewrite my "secret" instructions, so the loophole "could" be closed but I cant see it for a long time yet, and lets face it ... even if they close it in 3 months, you've still saved money compared to every other Mobile Broadband offer out there.

£3.95 ... not that expensive really when you think its not just the instructions your'e getting, but also a 3.5g HSPDA sim card (Usually retails for £6 £10 on ebay), plus I will personally call you and talk you through any problems you may come up against ... £3.95, thats nothing ;)

Anyway, if anyone wants to buyone ... feel free to check it out at Link Removed . I dispatch sameday if payment is before 4pm by Royal Mail 1st Class so you are likely to recieve it next working day and I now sell £10 top up vouchers for Three (3) for only £9 also available on the site and via the above link.

This is a great site and although Im not a Motorhome enthusiast, I know where to come for advice when the time comes.

All the best and thanks for reading my 2 pence

Regards

Paul
Link Removed :thumb:

roger buckley

Free Member
Apr 16, 2009
northants
Funster No
MH
hymer c class
Exp
since 2007
Mobile internet

Thanks for the tip Jim, when setting this up on your laptop, does this mean that you lose the standard home set up that you have established when you are at home , or is it complimentary ?
Regards Roger

PaulDoesItAll

Free Member
Jul 23, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the tip Jim, when setting this up on your laptop, does this mean that you lose the standard home set up that you have established when you are at home , or is it complimentary ?
Regards Roger

Hi,
This would be a completely separate connection from your Home broadband as your USB dongle is what is connecting you to the internet and your home broadband would either connect you wirelessly or via a cable connection.

I should point out that some of my customers get confused that this comes with the USB dongle ... i'm sorry, but it doesn't

Feel free to ask any questions

Regards

Paul
Click below for all the information you might need

or for the eBay listing, click below
Link Removed

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Guys,

My name is Paul, owner of pauldoesitall.co.uk and seller of the now infamous Mobile Broadband Sim that JimScotland is talking about (Thanks for that Jim) ...

Paul

Hi Paul

thanks for clarifying , nice to see you had the time to join and post .. Your knowledge and expertise of sims and dongles will I am sure be most helpful .. it's a popular topic and one that most motorhomers have an interest..

However, I should point out that as a Trader you should declare this when joining .. see notice on home page..

cheers

PaulDoesItAll

Free Member
Jul 23, 2010
Funster No
Hi Paul

thanks for clarifying , nice to see you had the time to join and post .. Your knowledge and expertise of sims and dongles will I am sure be most helpful .. it's a popular topic and one that most motorhomers have an interest..

However, I should point out that as a Trader you should declare this when joining .. see notice on home page..

cheers

Apologies Jim,

You won't get anymore of that from me ... scouts honour :winky:

I will happily answer any questions anyone has and advise if I can, and once again thanks for the link

Regards

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I can see that if it's used as a home connection, but mine will only be used when away.. I have adsl broadband at home

Dont want to put a damp squib on Three but I have had a major bad experience with them. Was on an 18 month contract for mobie BB for when I went away in the van. Contract ran out on 18th of March and in April I got a bill off them for 17 quid and I told them I had no contract with them. The guy on the phone could hardly speak a word of english and was screaming at me down the phone that I was still on contract even though I have the doccumentation to prove it ran out on that day. Cut a long story short, told them I wasnt paying it. May came and the bill was £34 quid so again I told them I had no contract with them, had not used the dongle( wont work anyway cos the contract has finished) and I wasnt paying.

got a letter from them saying that they had given me service for two months and even though the contract had finished it was upon me to tell them it did need continuing and since I had not done so they started the contract again. By this time I was absolutely livid and again couldnt get to speak to anyone who spoke bloody english.If your going to have people answering your phones THREE then make sure that A) they can understand us and B) WE can understand them.

Upshot is that they finally agreed that I owed them no money and that I could rip the letters up. What annoys me though is that I did nowt wrong and three tarnished my good name by threatening me with solictors.

I'm afraid that personally I would never touch THREE with a ten foot pole again. Their customer service sucks big time, they tell lies and are underhanded. Not only that but when I did have the mobie internet on contract, most of the time I couldnt get a connection and when I did it was poor.

Ive now got a HTC touch HD II phone with internet sharing which gets signal everywhere. I just connect it to the lappy and choose " share internet connection" and Im away. Im on PAYG with O2 on their web and text for 15 quid a month unlimited( and that really is unlimited) and found it better all the way round from THREE.

Interesting in their blurb they say its unlimited but you can only actually use 2gb a month on THREE PAYG.

also I would be VERY careful with their one month cancellation contracts. Make sure if you do cancel that they dont try to screw you like they did me.

Bessy regs

Kenny

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
also I would be VERY careful with their one month cancellation contracts. Make sure if you do cancel that they dont try to screw you like they did me.

Good advice but it doesn't only apply to Three and not only to mobile phones. It's often the same with any contract which has a fixed starting term. Unless the customer positively ends the contract at the end of that term the contract continues on a rolling monthly basis.

With T-Mobile I gave them notice well in advance of the contract end date but Customer "Services" tried to insist that I gave them the minimum amount of notice exactly one month before the contract end date.

Many of the problems with the call centres run by so many companies these days (not just mobile phone companies) are caused by the fact that the employees (wherever they are) are not allowed to deviate from a strict script so have no room to provide proper service. This, just as with the shortfall in spoken/written English skills, is the fault of the companies and not the individual employees.

Graham

parkay3560

Free Member
Jul 18, 2010
Almost Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
HI Graham

I did indeed ring Three a few weeks before the contract ran out to tell them I wouldnt be taking a further one. I told them Id got a mobile with internet on it and wouldnt be needing the service after the contact ended in March and at that point the person I spoke to said that would be fine and that if I wanted to rejoin THREE in the future they would be happy to have me back as a customer. They also said that my call had been logged and that the contract would end on the 18th. The only reason I got out of paying for the bills they sent me afterwards was because I insisted they go through their telephone records and their logs and they found they had been at fault. Problem is though, that if you google it on the t'tinternet, three has a very poor record of customer services and it appears Im not the only person they have tried to screw.

I think the term caveat emptor is apt where this particular phone company is concerned :(

Bessy regs

Kenny

PaulDoesItAll

Free Member
Jul 23, 2010
Funster No
... Not only that but when I did have the mobie internet on contract, most of the time I couldnt get a connection and when I did it was poor.

... Interesting in their blurb they say its unlimited but you can only actually use 2gb a month on THREE PAYG.

... also I would be VERY careful with their one month cancellation contracts. Make sure if you do cancel that they dont try to screw you like they did me.

Hi guys,

I would have to agree that nearly all customer services are pushed to poor english speaking countries which makes it hard for us resolve issues, that said ... it's something we have to live that and those companies that aren't doing so already, soon will be :Angry:

The unlimited part of the blur is correct, and is with ALL UNLIMITED things, their is a fair use policy if you look hard enough and 3's is 2gb. It is set at 2gb for the simple reason that "most" mobile broadband users are not likely to exceed the 2gb as mobile broadband is designed for occasional use.

The product i offer is not a 1 month contract but pay as you go, so if in 2 weeks you decide it isn't for you, throw it in the draw and never worry about it again. You dont even to register to use it, and is stated £5 for 2gb, thats awesome and pro rata the cheapest mobile broadband in the country.

Three have also just (Jan - June 2010) revamped their entire cell site network and service is much better, which is a far cry in comparison to their customer services, which you'd never have to deal with anyway :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back