3 in Trafic SWB low roof

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Janners, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Janners

Janners Read Only Funster

Going nuts! Somebody must have done a standard van conversion for 3. I have a van but campsites are getting to not like vans that aren't campers...or is it me?
    So looking to convert the van to a camper (V5, insurance etc) but finding inspiration has got me stumped. I might be looking in the wrong places on the web.
    Any pointers to send me off in the right direction would be most welcome.

Cheers
    Janners

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's not you.. most campsites do not accept unconverted panel vans.. or sign written vans.. that has always been the case...

Many years ago, I applied to join the Caravan Club when I had a self built Renault Traffic High roof, they wanted photos to prove it had been converted properly.. I think they have dropped that requirement

Not suggesting you should join the CC .. it's just a guide.. they still ask the same questions about a self built camper.. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/CaravanClubApps/Applications/JoinOnline/joinasmember.aspx

Does the accommodation space contain the following equipment:-
    • Seats and table
    • Sleeping accommodation which can be converted into seats
    • Cooking facilities with adequate ventilation
    • Storage facilities
    Yes

All the above must be rigidly fixed to the living compartment, but the table maybe designed to be easily removed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The Gov. DVLA pdf https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...756/converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf

In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features, as follows:

•  a door that provides access to the living accommodation

•  a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used

for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle

•  a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle

•  a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but

must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a

loose table

•  a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe

•  a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity

•  at least one window on the side of the accommodation

If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Janners

Janners Read Only Funster

The complying with VOSA.. no problem... AND fitting 3 is the challenge. I can see lot's of cardboard boxes being used to make mock ups.

But all good fun in the process.

I shall pop over and have a look at the other forum.

Janners

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Along with Scotjimlands specifications, DVSA now want the outside to look like a motor caravan.
    Proper graphics, a T.V. aerial/sat dish, a fixed awning/canopy or bicycle rack would do the job.
    If accepted, the V5 will say MOTORCARAVAN under the body type section.
    ANYTHING else is NOT a motorhome.

6. Terry

Terry Funster