Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have just returned from France where I was surprised to find my "3" 90 day sim in a "3" Mifi would not connect to "three" and insisted in trying to log into orange for which of course I did not have the appropriate log in details. So no wifi from the dongle in France which because I failed to complete a form on the last day of April cost me a lot of money (it had to be that particular day and no McDonalds in sight). I finally got home and onto 3 tech services. I was talked though changing the settings and ended up logging in with the mifi and going to Broken Link Removed where I was able to tick a box that said auto connect when roaming. I assume every time I get a new sim I'll have to go through the same procedure but you will only do it once if you top up or have a contract. They did at least add some credit for the days lost. However that does mean connecting and start using the sim whilst in the UK if it is a new sim to ensure you can use it in France.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3 payg is already set up Roger.....no need for any settings changes....and if you register a debit card with 3 you can top up online.

Just top up and buy a package (required for feel at home)......£10 gets you 500mb, 100 minutes and 3000 texts

In the UK you can use your credit as you wish without the need for a package, add on or bundle, whatever you want to call it.

I use almost all my £10 topups for internet with a few texts and calls mixed in.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now you know...(y)

It puts you and your company in a bad light as it could be construed as spamming.

If you become a fully subscribed member you can request admin makes you a 'trade' member...trade being motorhome related services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Pappajohn, I am thinking of getting a 3 PAYG SIM for my mifi.

Went into a 3 shop yesterday but they had none in!!! You can only get them now with a prepaid package. They told me that when the package ran out you could not just top up and pay by the amount used, you had to buy a top up package. Is that correct? If not how much do you pay per Mb if you do not have a package?

Also on PAYG do you have to have had the SIM for a certain amount of time before you are allowed to use the Feel at Home deal please? I understand you need a package in order to use Feel at Home. Is that correct?

Peter

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Hi
We purchased the 3 payg sim just before we came to Spain. We have used it here for 3 weeks with no trouble and the speed has been good everywhere so far. We had the 30 day one as a trial now we have the one year one.
We are online for a few hours an evening and so far has cost about £1 a day we estimate.
We are using free wifi if we get it, but on this site we would pay 5 euros a day.
Ask in the 3 G store or get it on line.
The messages we get from 3G say we get the at home package. We are using it on an iPad not a phone if that is any help,
LC

Deleted User
Feel at home works on PAYG sims, I am posting this on one from France. I bought 4 of these sims at a reduced price from PC World last summer when in the UK so can't comment on the availability now. I have topped this sim up on the internet recently but it was pre registered and used in the UK. The information at the time of purchase was that the card had to be used in the UK before the 'feel at home' would work but others at the time reported that the service was available without doing this.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

Went into a 3 shop yesterday but they had none in!!! You can only get them now with a prepaid package. They told me that when the package ran out you could not just top up and pay by the amount used, you had to buy a top up package. Is that correct? If not how much do you pay per Mb if you do not have a package?

Also on PAYG do you have to have had the SIM for a certain amount of time before you are allowed to use the Feel at Home deal please? I understand you need a package in order to use Feel at Home. Is that correct?

Peter
I can only recount my experience. For a mifi you want a mobile data sim, not one for a phone. On the Three website looked for sim only deals and then mifi payg.

http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...rTariff=50to99.99&payGPriceForTariff=0to49.99

The link above should take you there.

I got the 3gb thing for £20 and it came in a couple of days.

Then things got difficult. In order to top it up you need to register your payment card first but found this impossible. Then I rang them and was told you could only register a card by calling them - despite what the website stated at the time.

Having finally registered a card I topped up my account with another £30. This money allows you to top up when you are outside the UK as apparently their system does not allow you to directly top up with a UK card outside the UK. All these rules suggest they have had a lot of problems with fraud in the past.

The problem with directly topping up is the top up expires after a month whether you use it or not. The exception is any top up you buy above the amount the card was preloaded with. So if it came with 3gb and you buy an extra 1gb top up the top up just sits in reserve until the 3gb have been used up - then it will start on your 1gb top up and that will last for one month.

I suspect the phone shop were trying to sell you a monthly package because they get commission on that. I have found our local shop staff useless - just buy on line.

And remember you want a mifi card. If you put a payg phone only card in a mifi the system will block you after a couple of days - happened to me. Packages with voice and data will be fine but the cheapie phone only payg won't play.

And of course make sure it works before you leave the UK. :)

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks DBK. Do you have to have a package or can you just pay by the Mb used?
I don't think you can pay per Mb with 3 payg. It is all pre-paid, for example £10 for a gb - which seems to be lasting me about a month here in Spain. I don't know if that is what you mean by a package. They may do a monthly contract where you pay per Mb but I don't need the mifi when I get back to the UK so payg suits me.

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Can anyone help with the following please...............

I have a ipad with a 3 data sim card in it, I paid about £70 and it lasts for 12 months or 12Gb, have been using it sparingly for about 6 weeks.

Planning a 2 month trip to France/Spain (short notice) hopefully leaving in about 2 weeks. Will this sim just work in both countries, or will it need some sort of messing about with once we get over there?

Also, am thinking of taking a laptop, would I be able to tether from the ipad to the laptop using this sim card?

I have a mifi, not used it in ages. If tethering is not allowed, can I just buy another 3 data sim (3 months or 3Gb) and use that to give me internet on the laptop??

If I can, I would want to get it working here before leaving, would the mifi then need to be configured when arriving on France or should it just work?

Thanks

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I don't think you can pay per Mb with 3 payg. It is all pre-paid, for example £10 for a gb - which seems to be lasting me about a month here in Spain. I don't know if that is what you mean by a package. They may do a monthly contract where you pay per Mb but I don't need the mifi when I get back to the UK so payg suits me.

I know it's possible to use a 3-2-1 payg sim. 3p per minute, 2p per txt, 1p per meg, credit doesn't expire, I have one for my 10yr old, it's the perfect tariff for kids.
Also get 150mg free with a £10 top up, so quite good value for a low user. I don't think you can tether with it though !

Another option is the Sim Plan for Mobile Broadband.

10gb per month, 1 month rolling contract, ability to tether, £15pcm.
It works well for me, initially I was going cancel after European tour but I've found it so useful, I continue to pay the monthly bill.

Recently, I've been considering an upgrade to the 4g Mifi dongle.
15gb per month for £20 including a new 4g dongle.

Seems like a bargain, downside is a two year contract....

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can anyone help with the following please...............

I have a ipad with a 3 data sim card in it, I paid about £70 and it lasts for 12 months or 12Gb, have been using it sparingly for about 6 weeks.

Planning a 2 month trip to France/Spain (short notice) hopefully leaving in about 2 weeks. Will this sim just work in both countries, or will it need some sort of messing about with once we get over there?

Also, am thinking of taking a laptop, would I be able to tether from the ipad to the laptop using this sim card?

I have a mifi, not used it in ages. If tethering is not allowed, can I just buy another 3 data sim (3 months or 3Gb) and use that to give me internet on the laptop??

If I can, I would want to get it working here before leaving, would the mifi then need to be configured when arriving on France or should it just work?

Thanks

We have a 3 PAYG in our IPad and I'm sure the first time you want to use it abroad you have to go to your account and make sure the box for feel at home is ticked or just phone 3 and they can do it over the phone.

Before heading the the ISA last month Lorraine changed her phone and for some reason we couldn't connect it to the Internet while there, we just sent them an email while on Wifi and within 6 hours 3 had emailed back to say her feel at home had been activated it's a shame you hadn't done that roger.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Peter
Argos, sainsbury, morrisons.....just about anywhere that sells sim cards......usually a quid.
i bought mine with my phone from argos....and they waived the 99p cost, so generous of them. :LOL:

None package/bundle cost is 1p per mb (bundled you get 500mb with 30 day expiry), 2p per text and 3p per minute talk time.

Yes, to use feel at home in europe you do need a package/bundle bought from your credit/top up.
no, you dont have to wait with payg....its instantly usable in europe.

Top up is non expiring....just use it until is spent no matter how long.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine is a phone sim which may be why they told you you had to do as they said in the shop.
it does work in my mifi but i havent used it for more than an hour or so on rare occasions

I rarely use my mifi dongle now as i tether to my phone

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ok let me start again it was a 3gb 90 day data sim cost £20 odd quid from the 3 shop, in a 3 locked mifi it switched to roaming and requested I sign in to orange. It appears the setting that needed altering was in the mifi itself but could only be changed with a computer when connect, hence the reason to check before you leave the UK, possibly later mifi's are already set to autoconnect when roaming mine was not hence it failed to work. I explained what happened to me not a friend or acquaintance, the three shop could not sort it I had to phone tech services.

You do NOT need a package of any sort other than a PAYG card or prepaid card.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You do NOT need a package of any sort other than a PAYG card or prepaid card.
Sorry Roger......directly from 3s website.

You can enjoy Feel At Home whether you’re on Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go, using a tablet, phone, Mobile Wi-Fi or dongle. If you’re on Pay Monthly, you’ll automatically use your monthly allowances and Add-on allowances to call and text the UK and use data, and if you’re on Pay As You Go you'll need to convert your Pay As You Go credit into an Add-on to get an allowance.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI...=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=EXT(EM11925)

Probably why yours didnt work.

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
sorry John no matter what is on the site the shop and technical services plus other people using them say it will work. The prepaid DATA ONLY card does not need further credit added.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
[QUotTE="Encantador, post: 1426794, member: 17151"]Can anyone help with the following please...............

Thanks[/QUOTE]

OK will try I have similar ( if bought from eBay) 12g or 12mth whatever comes first.
Data ONLY will work in smartphone or MiFi in France & Spain .
MiFi has to be allowed to roam ,with sim card in place and active ,whilst tethered to pc / lappy serch 168.192.1.1 - pw admin admin go to settings search for and tick allow roaming ,or such.
Then SHOULD work in MiFi which will let you tether anyway (y)

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
my 3sim data only in a mifi will only work in france if i put 3 mobile.co.uk or something like that,,,in the apn settings in the mifi settings. i had roaming etc activated but wouldn't work until i did this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back