3 dongle antenna

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by lunarman, Feb 26, 2009.

1. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Has anyone used an antenna with the 3 Huwai e160g dongle. If so are they any good do they improve connectivity and speed especially in remote areas

I have seen a couple available on the on the web and was wondering if they are worth the investment.

2. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I tried one last year, unfortunaly my house has not coverage so got my money back, If ever they change the coverage I will certainly give it another looking at..

Doug...

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Have you got a link to the antenna ?

cheers

4. traveller

traveller Read Only Funster

Hello

Did you every get the information . We would be interested in a dongle that an antenna could be used with.

Thanks

motorhomer

5. scotjimland

Hi

My '3' dongle has an antenna port ..

if you Google 'dongle antenna' there are quite a few to look at , I haven't bothered yet as we have a free wifi at present

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

to improve sensitivity of a dongle use a USB extension cable and put the dongle out through the roof light. Extra height = increased signal dongle outside of the van = increased signal, worth trying sever different lengths to which works best for you. The dongle is your antenna. If all that fails and you want to get rid, chuck it at me.
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

7. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

8. scotjimland

Nice bit of kit.. but lets not confuse the thread by introducing WiFi antenna :Doh:

the original question is how to boost 3G / GPRS reception using a dongle.

9. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

That's exactly what we did with my previous company when the comms let us down.

Dongles don't have the best reception qualities so you need good coverage/signal strength anyway.USB cables do have an maximum length specified before they start introducing enough attenuation of the signal/power feed to the device, to start dropping out.

Hardly any antennae to speak of.....:Eeek:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  10. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

3 Dongle

I use a 3 Dongle.

I use it straight into the USB port.

I can access the Net at home and have used it when touring.

It works as well as a phone, you just need a reasonable signal. I was on the Net with just the first triangle and no bars on the reception only yesterday.

I cannot get any reception when I visit my sister-in-law just outside Aberdeen, but then I cannot use my T-Mobile phone either. Funny, Hubby can use his 3 phone so I might try the USB extension cable.

11. scotjimland

Yes that does work, but as AD said, too long and you lose attenuation defeating the object .. the 3 dongle comes with a short cable, about 1mt, I stick the dongle on the window with a bit of double sided tape, this improves reception remarkably.. up to about 3mt should be ok .. but have you seen the price of USB extension cables.. ! .. for really poor reception areas I think an external antenna is a better option ..

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  12. olley

olley Funster

Hi I fitted a rooftop aerial a couple of years ago for my O2 dongle and it certainly makes a difference. Then I changed to a 3 dongle and it doesn't have an aerial socket :cry: but a couple of weeks ago I bought an adapter that is strapped around the dongle and connects to my aerial lead. No idea whether it will work or not, maybe find out at Newark. :Smile:

Olley

13. scotjimland

Hi Olley ..

that's a bit odd, Jan and I both have 3 dongles and there is an antenna socket.. hidden under a tiny flap on the side .. are you sure you haven't missed it ?

or maybe yours is an older dongle .. ? we bought ours in the past four months .

Jim

14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

You cannot get a signal where there is not one available. In many areas it is a matter of maximising the signal you have. Extension cables are a play off between the increased signal caused by removing the dongle from within the attenuating structure of the motorhome and the attenuation caused by the cable Find what works for you. The optimum length depends on the savings made and hence the construction of the van. I have never personally used a dongle but do know radio signals. and different frequencies react differently to different materials. So a glass fibre van will react differently to an aluminium van, wood roof to metal or rubber etc. I am sure there are signal amplifiers out there and active antennas but you must find what works for you. but remember no signal in the first place, then no chance what ever you do. Good luck.
    If anyone has a redundant dongle I will need one in order to keep up the photos for 365 album once the beast is out of its lair.

15. olley

olley Funster

Hi Jim I got mine about 9 months ago, and it definately doesn't have a socket, on one of the dongle forums they showed you how to break it open and wire one in! :BigGrin:

Olley

16. scotjimland

Fair enough.. must be only the later models, maybe they had a lot of returns from 'breaking in' :Eek!:

I guess you 'passed' on that.. :Laughing::Laughing:

17. olley

olley Funster

Hi to be honest I made a mistake, I should have gone for the T mobile web-an-walk pay as you go, rather than 3's contract. Since I got it I have hardly used it as we didn't go to many shows last year, and its mainly at them that we use it. I never use it abroad as its way tooooooooooooo expensive unless its an emergency. :Sad:

Olley

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  18. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Hi all,
    A pal of mine who works at the Cambridge Science Park, has offered to make up a couple of antennas for my 3 Dongle and my unlocked Vodafone data card, but only if I can get a hold of the right connectors, as his company are unable to find them in any of their supplier catalogues. :Eeek: I don't even know what they are called, so what chance have I got?

Can anyone help please?

Cheers,

Jock.

19. scotjimland

Hi Jock

It's a MMCX Male crimp connector , I found some here ..

Pack of 4 - MMCX Male Crimp Connector for RG316 RG174 on eBay, also Accessories Parts Components, Wireless Networking, Networking, Computing (end time 17-Mar-09 09:38:09 GMT)

jim

20. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

I agree with "wildman" I had to use 3 by 1 metre USB extension leads to put the dongle on the roof so i could pick a signal, and you can get 1 meter extension leads from the 99p shop

hope that helps