3 Data sim.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by jumar, Aug 30, 2014.

1. jumar

jumar Funster

If anyboby is considering mobile internet usage whilst in most of Europe may we suggest the 3 Data sim bought from Motorhome WiFi or other suppliers. We are now entering our third month of use having topped up on two occasions without any fuss. The sim which is installed in my smartphone provides a good connection at present in France and believe me we tether Andriod tablets sometimes two at a time using the Smartphone as a hotspot.

2. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

In France???? Wherefore art thou????

3. jumar

jumar Funster

Real France, bit too south to visit, near Gap.

4. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Awww bugger

• Like Like x 1
  5. johnandi

johnandi Funster

Sounds good, have you tried or have any experience of the Huawei myfi device?
    We have iPhones so the SIM card is smaller than Android devices.
    Ta

6. The Wino

The Wino Funster

For some reason our huaweii mifi doesnt work as well in France with our 3 data sim as using a phone as a hotspot. It could just be the signal have bought an external antenna but not tried it yet. You can get a 3 nanosim at currys £7.99.

David

7. jumar

jumar Funster

Haven't tried any devices you are asking about.However 3 data sim cards like most others if not all, are available in all sizes, check the Tech/Spec on line, you should find what you are looking for.Motorhome WiFi (funster) should be able to help you.

8. DJA

DJA Funster

Bought a 3 SIM for £10 as a backup. I is the 3.2.1 which is 3p for calls , 2p per text and 1p per MB .

The sim is very small but is supplied with 2 adapters so all sizes covered.

9. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

that sounds good as a back up. Can you use it in spain/Portugal and where do you buy it from please?

10. DJA

DJA Funster

I got mine in a 3 shop. I would not use it in Spain or Portugal as it they are not yet on the Feel at Home list of countries. The data in Spain is currently 19.8p per MB. I would anticipate that the 2 countries and others will be added in the near future but don't know when. Should work in france ok if I need it later this month at the same rates as here.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jumar

jumar Funster

It appears that 3 Mobile Internet are ahead of the rest (My opinion) for me its worked fine in the countries that are on The Feel like home scheme. In time other service providers will be offering the same or SIMilar packages if they want there share of the market, when roaming charges are finally ended offers will without doubt be unlimited. However currently Spain and Portugal are not part of these schemes.

12. DocHoliday

DocHoliday Read Only Funster

But you could use this in Portugal and Spain.

13. DJA

DJA Funster

At 19.8ppMB ( ie £198 per Gb) I don't think so. You can if you like. I am sure I could get a local sim tht would be cheaper.

14. DocHoliday

You were meant to click on "this". :)

15. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi
    That is a Globalgig Sim, not a 3 sim, which uses the 3 network. It is a rolling contract which costs £20 for the sim and £15 per month. It also only gives you 1/2 a GB in France and other countries. So it is a minimum of £35 for the first months useage and only potentially a better bet if you need it abroad on a permanent basis.

My purchase was a backup for my phone should I need it.

Sorry had not noticed the This as it did not show up very well.

16. buttons

buttons Funster

Been travelling in the US for a few days with a couple of contract three phone's using them just like home. Great experience not switched them off, even using them as google map sat nav.

17. DocHoliday

You also didn't read it properly. The £19.99 for the sim includes the first month's data, whatever plan you select. If you only want one month, you can cancel.

And in Portugal & Spain, which was what Trishandterry asked about, you get the full quota, depending on the plan you select. For example, 5GB for £15.99 in the second month.

18. DJA

DJA Funster

The 3 card I mentioned is for a phone and does as i had indicated 3p Calls, 2p Texts and 1ppMB Data. The card you suggest is Data only. They asked about Spain and Portugal and I said I would not use it there drawing attention to the cost of Data. If they want Data only there then the card you suggest is a possibility.

19. stevec

stevec Funster

Don't forget that the PAYG sim (3,2,1 ?) from 3 will not allow you to tether other devices to your phone.

20. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi Stevec

I am aware that the terms say that Tethering is not allowed as I get the impression is the case on many Phone Sims. It is a way to get you to buy Data Sims. I bought it as a backup so I have a means to communicate by Phone Text or Internet if I need to.

Some have suggested that they have been able to Tether to their phones without problems others have said they have been blocked.

The thought that I have, but have no technical knowledge to back it, is that maybe the providers can tell if tethering is taking place if it is for example a Laptop or a Mac on an Android phone etc but what about if you have an Android Tablet Tethered to an Android phone.

Who knows for certain.