3 data sim , again but different

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chaser, Apr 8, 2016.

1. chaser

chaser Funster

has anyone any ideas about this data card especially @Minxy Girl
    http://store.three.co.uk/view/searc...rTariff=50to99.99&payGPriceForTariff=0to49.99
    The bottom one, it costs a tenner, for the first month, but then it says 200 mb free every month, does this keep going for ever without putting anymore money on it, or what, because for what I use data for that would do me.
    And we could have one each so that would double it. 400mb a month for life for £20(y)
    Where's the catch?

2. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

We have a Three Sim card in our Mi Fi on a 30 Day rolling contract which costs us £15 month for 5gb when ever I have spoken to anyone at three they have always tried to sell us the 12 months contract so I would imagine that is what this will be.
    Might be worth a phone call to three to clarify.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DJA

DJA Funster

I thing the free 200mb is added each time you Top Up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Looks like it does top up the data free. All you have to do is register with 3.
    http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/04/three-data-reward-sim/

• Like Like x 1
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

It appears then that it is free every month without top up , going to give one a try I think, what's to lose, £10 but you do get a gig for that.

6. Boringfrog

Boringfrog Funster

Remember the 1 gig only lasts 30 days.

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Unfortunately it wont be for 'life'.....it will be until 3 change their plan and do away with the offer.
    Could be tomorrow, could be in 5 years time.

8. chaser

chaser Funster

If it's free though , can only cost the up front tenner.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

AFAIK yo uhave to top it up with £10 to get it started, the £10 pays for 1gb data for up to 30 days (or whenever it's used up, whichever comes first), after that you get 200mb a month free for nothing, no top-ups, extras etc needed - obviously they are hoping you either decide to top up again to get more data or go over your 200mb a month and incur extra data charges (you should be able to set it so that you can't accidentally do this though). It is a purely PAYG deal so no tied in contract but there may be a limit on how long you can get the free data without doing a top up at some point, or may have to use if once every so many months as you do with some other PAYG sims to keep them active.

I suspect it may NOT be usable as part of the 'feel at home' arrangement for use abroad so possibly only UK, but as I haven' researched this you'll need to check. If you got a couple you'd end up with 2 x 200gb a month for just the initial 2 x £10 outlay.

• Like Like x 1
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

11. Minxy Girl

I've just had a quick shuftie and it says:

Use your allowances to call and text home and use data in 18 destinations worldwide. Terms apply. Search three.co.uk for 'feel at home' so it MAY be possible - best bet would be to call them and clarify if you intend to use it abroad - 0800 358 4314

upload_2016-4-8_15-23-16.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. Minxy Girl

Yes but it also mentions calls and texts so may be 'general' blurb hence my posting above.

• Like Like x 1
  13. chaser

chaser Funster

The three site is always confusing , says one thing on place and different somewhere else.

14. FJmike

FJmike Funster

Having just received a Wileyfox Swift for my birthday pressy, I am keen to find out if this is a viable option for a second sim

15. chaser

chaser Funster

We are off to France next month, so think I will get one then, so that at least I will be able to use the one gb, then see what happens after that. Unless someone knows anything different about them.(y):)

• Like Like x 1
  16. chaser

chaser Funster

Something has just struck me, if you want more is it a min £10 a month, and that only lasts a month and how much data do you get for that.
    Arguing with myself now, but there are so many hidden things about this.

17. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I get 10 GB a month for a rolling £15 a month ,works ok for me lol. ps with 3.

18. DJA

DJA Funster

Hi Chaser

I cannot agree more that the 3 site is very confusing but here is what I have done.

I have a 3 Data sim which is permanenly in my Mifi and that is on contract and has worked successfully for years. It is currently 10gb for £10 and I have used in France whenever I can get a signal bearing in mind the Country is very large and we tend to be in very rural areas. I have usually got a good signal in about 80%+ tries.

I also bought a 3 2 1 card for £15 which I have in an old Samsung phone and that does Phone, Text and Internet at 3p per min, 2p each and 1p per mb respectively. Interestingly that £15 worth works until all the Allowance has been used up, provided you don't let it sit idly for a long period, but when you Top it up with say £5 the Top Up's only last for 30 days.

Doug

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Minxy Girl

If you want more you can either top up (£2 minimum) or just use more and they'll charge you for it - it costs 1p per mb so if you wanted another 200mb that would be £2.00 ... in which case 1gb (approx) would be £10 extra but ONLY if you actually use it (see * below).

What happens when you run out of data?

When you've nearly used up your data allowance, we'll send a text to your dongle or MiFi to let you know.

If you're on Pay As You Go and you run out of data, we'll redirect you to your My3 account to buy another top-up. Using your My3 account is free and topping up is quick and easy.​

If you have a contract with us and you go over your data allowance, you'll still be able to access the internet but you'll be charged for every megabyte (MB) of data you use.​

* I've just had a read of the price guide download and it appears that you can top-up with as little as £2 so that would give you enough credit for an extra 200gb if you need it for the month, the 'free' 200gb would be used up first anyway before your top-up credit was used. It says you can have a maximum of 5 sims (£10 x 5 initial cost = £50) but after that it would 'give' you 1gb free combined each month but of course you'll have to keep swapping sim cards:

file:///C:/Users/Mellie/Downloads/MBB_PriceGuide_010216%20(2).pdf
    It's really about how MUCH data you're gonna use and how OFTEN as it might be better for you to go for a pre-loaded sim instead with either 3gb for 3 months (£12-£16 depending on where you buy it from) or 12gb for a year (£30).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. chaser

chaser Funster

Well I have gone off compleatly different now , had a advertising email from Argos, they are selling 3 data sims on offer, 3 gb for three months for£9.99, now I know we are talking pence here and it doesn't really matter, but that is at least £1 cheaper than I can find anywhere else including 3 site itself so got one and it does say it works on feel at home, without adding any more to it, and you don't have to register or anything, I got home , shoved it in that voda thing we were all buying last year and it worked immediately, no sign up , no passwords , no number, nothing.(y):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1