3 contract in France

Discussion in 'Computers' started by s20hymer, Oct 23, 2015.

1. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

Have just arrived in France enroute to Spain, have just learned from 3 techies that I can't tether abroad, can get internet on phone but not my cup of tea to use on such a small screen. Fortunately have got a data sim with Knowhow to use in my mifi which covers Spain & Portugal.

2. TerryL

TerryL Funster

A number of folk have been caught out with that one - me too. It's not very clear on the 3 website, although it IS there.

3. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have 3 phone sim card and when in France a couple of weeks ago tethered every day! Only on one day was there an issue and that was when my laptop started to update its software :eek::eek: and I received a warning from 3 telling me to stop, so I turned of all auto updates and continued without any problems at all :)

I think the real issue is if you stream or download a lot of data. For basic email, weather, site info, this forum etc it worked fine. My 3 sim is PAYG, I dunno if that makes any difference.

Just try it and see (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

I think I read somewhere that if it is Payg then it is ok to tether, but not if it is a contract, I am talking here about phone & data contract, I know that if I use a Payg data sim it will tether abroad but didn't know about the other so been caught out.

5. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

You need a data only sim to tether.

We have a data only sim in our mifi which allows tethering and a normal sim in our phone that does not allow tethering.

The phone sim allows calls/texts and data (through the phone) at no extra cost (in feel at home destinations) but not tethering.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Err.......... my sim card is standard phone sim and it tethers (see my previous post)

7. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Er ............... you got a warning telling you to stop

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Yes I did, but that was only when my 'puter was trying to download massive updates........... after that I tethered everyday and got through another 1 gig or so over a 2 week period.

On a separate note, we have just spent 2 weeks back in UK with the phone tethered to our laptops and not had any issues at all :eek:

I checked the data transfer and we used over 3 gigs in that time (but no streaming or big file downloads). Having said that, on the last day before my 'all you can eat for £20 add on' expired I did stream Spotify for 4 hours and a 30 minute video.......... still no problems :D

I am just saying to those that have asked............ try it........ you have nothing to lose (y)

9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

You can teather phone here not in Europe

10. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I tried to tether with my payg sim card in my phone and received a message on the pc saying is not allowed,(france) you must have slipped through the net somehow.

11. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Possibly, but every day for a fortnight?

12. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Very lucky then, I haven't tried again.