3.5t limit in french towns and villages

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Welsh girl, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

Tez has just finished reading an article on practical motorhoming and read that if travelling through a french town with a 3.5t limit sign we could be picked up and impounded by the local gendarmes.
    As we are 4t we were told by a fella who had been through France to ignore these signs, should we ignore or should we try to find another way through as our sat nav (snooper truck) takes us through these villages and towns and not knowing the country would not know our way around it beside for using a map but we are very lazy when it comes to using a map and rely on the sat nav although not enough to take us down narrow roads, we do use our common sense when it comes to that.

2. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

I don't think anyone else can answer this for you - you have to make your own mind up - is the added convenience worth the risk? I assume your 4 tonne GVW looks exactly the same as a 3.5 tonne GVW except for the plate.

If any Funsters have fallen foul to the Gendarmerie on this I would be suprised, but then again I often do get surprised!

It is your call and your call alone.

Steve

3. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

How widespread is this ? How many towns does this apply to?
    I suppose it helps if you look like a 3.5t ie. no double wheels or tag axles.
    My 696 autotrail .....is rated at 4t..but on the surface looks just the same as a 3.5.
    has anyone ever been stopped in this respect?

barry

4. Welsh girl

We look the same as a 3.5t no tag axle not too long at 7metre, want to know if they would stop us and take a look as there is no visible difference.

Where would the weight be displayed on the vehicle anyway, we have a fiat 2.3 maxi engine with 16inch wheels and an extended chassis?

I assume that the engine would be the same for 3.5t as well as ours so wouldnt be displayed on the engine.

5. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

On our vehicle it is found under the bonnet - a plate installed by the converters.

Steve

6. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Forget it Trish ... and IF IF IF you caught , just talk in english ...and that's it ! They won't bother ... !!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Welsh girl

Ha ha love it, thanks Frankie:Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have been into many French towns and villages with the RV weighing 7500 kgs where there is a 3.5 ton weight limit. Am of the opinion that the 3.5 ton weight limit is for commercial vehicles and does not apply to camping cars. I may be wrong but have never had an issue with it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We are plated at 3.5t-so no worries there,except that sometimes those roads can get narrower as you go along them :BigGrin:
    If reading that article worried me-I'd stop taking that magazine :Rofl1:
    Mike

10. yodeli

Ok ... i have some kind of answer!:Wink:

I just saw on a forum that most Maires in villages where you can find this sign , make local laws saying that they let these over weighted vehicules go through in order not to kill the commerce and tourism . So police don't interfere!:thumb::thumb:

Frankie:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 10
  11. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

I'm with Frankie on this one. I have seen Motorhomes over the 3.5 limit in villages with the signs. We have just changed to a 3.9t PHGV Hymer and I would still go to these places. The weight plate on ours is on the right hand side by the rear wheel arch and is visible to all.

12. madbluemad

madbluemad

Thanks Frankie. Iv'e always been a bit worried about breaking the weight limits when driving in France.
    Jim
    :Smile:

13. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

:cry::cry: got warned about it last year 4 times in france n my cheiftan,, and two times the cops spoke english >>> and once was near franki in the north of touilse ok ok spelling no good,,,its not a thing they enforce, till you meet one having a bad day,but at epernay did see some one get a ticket for it in a tri axel :Eek!:

14. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Chieftans are conspicuously above 3.5 tonnes......:Doh:

[​IMG]

No wonder you were warned....... but just shut the lid and tell them to go away.:thumb:

• Like Like x 8
  15. artemis

artemis

3.5 tonne weight limit

In September following the directions of our new Snooper Ventura sat nav we ended up going through the centre of Orleans in our 4 tonne van. There were weight restrictions as we drove by the front of the cathedral and the air in the van was blue. Fortunately we were not stopped but it was an experience we would not like to repeat.
    We have been round Orleans before and not had trouble but this time were coming from the South. This was not the only time we disagreed with the Snooper but was the one that caused the most tension especially as there were roadworks in the centre of the city

16. yodeli

Well , I am sorry if you got scared/stopped (even) but indeed I see very often motorhomes driving where they should not and I never saw any being into troubles, except in Andorra for having too much booze or too many ciggies.

So, this is what I would say if the copes can talk english . "Sorry sir , our sat nav have no program saying where the weights limits are , and by the time we realised , we though we would make more mess by stopping the traffic to turn round . We can still do it now if you want us to" . When they are waiting on a special spot , believe me, it is to fine the locals ! Or because there is a thief around and they check the cars for that reason ! I feel sorry Niggle, you were not lucky BUT you didn't get fined in the end , which is the main thing .
    Now , of course , you can meet "the one" who had a bad day , but let me tell you that if this happens , he will fine you for ANY reason (not a good one by all means) .... Just forget it ! They won't bother to run after you in England and they don't have a note with them with all the foreign plates to get you when you come back to France !!! and now all .... i give you a tip .... All fines are wipped when there is a new president in France, So .. it is a great time to be fined LOL!!:Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

Happy travels all !!!:BigGrin::BigGrin::Wink:

Frankie:Wink:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
    • Like Like x 6
  17. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

yes done that....

Yes I have done that by mistake.. RV and trailer.. became a narrow road, carsparked on one side and just wide enough for me, but not the cars coming towards me.. nice traffic jam i caused:Cool:

Got to the end of the road and a main road crossed me (ring road...) followed the sat nav... silly boy...

Bob:Eeek:

18. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Is this correct?

Why can we not have this system in the UK, General Election every year.

Two birds with one stone, no Fines and get rid of the useless politicians:Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 3
  19. yodeli

Well yes:Cool: , it is called "amnistie"; every 5 years , when we have a new president , it is one of the presents he offers to the people .... but of course only for the "non dangerous faults's fines". Parking for example:thumb:. If you didn't stop at a traffic light and you have injured someone , of course you'll have more than a fine !!!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

20. shaysue

shaysue Read Only Funster

Just back from touring around France for 2 months and saw these signs many times. Decided to take a chance and ignore. No probs.