Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We passed a couple of hand held radar traps in France in August and about half a dozen, what appeared to be road checks. ( a van full of police or gendarmes at the side of the road) with 3 or 4 of them waiting at the side of the road.
The police with the radar guns didnt even point them at us and I slowed at every road check to be waved irritatedly through.
So, I was either driving perfectly and looked ok, or they were looking for someone else. We are also over 3500kg and stick to the appropriate speed limits ( we rarely go over 55 anyway unless on a toll road and we want to get somewhere quickly then we wind it up a bit ) but have gone through 3.5t limits in villages and always paid class 2 on peages. We dont have the speed roundels either because we don't need to.

Allan

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We passed a couple of hand held radar traps in France in August and about half a dozen, what appeared to be road checks. ( a van full of police or gendarmes at the side of the road) with 3 or 4 of them waiting at the side of the road.
The police with the radar guns didnt even point them at us and I slowed at every road check to be waved irritatedly through.
So, I was either driving perfectly and looked ok, or they were looking for someone else. We are also over 3500kg and stick to the appropriate speed limits ( we rarely go over 55 anyway unless on a toll road and we want to get somewhere quickly then we wind it up a bit ) but have gone through 3.5t limits in villages and always paid class 2 on peages. We dont have the speed roundels either because we don't need to.

Allan

In spain this year the Police would park up, usually at a roundabout, and stop Spanish vehicles for document checks but we never got pulled over once, just got waved through.

Got stopped in France once for a so called "document check" but they asked if we had bought any cigarettes or tobaco in Belguim. We do not smoke so it didn't affect us.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some cameras take pics of high vehicles and then sort the weights out later . these days you may not even get a flash like you used to.
there is one near a works i know that when it was first put up drivers were getting tickets going and coming from it . it didnt flash . they were only just slightly over but enough . one driver got 4 in one day . its funny now but wasnt . fortunately they were all dropped in the early weeks . just as well.
it was a sharp downwards slope on a completely open bit of road in the middle of nowhere . originally set up really for cars but easily got trucks that should have been doing 40mph.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
some cameras take pics of high vehicles and then sort the weights out later . these days you may not even get a flash like you used to.
there is one near a works i know that when it was first put up drivers were getting tickets going and coming from it . it didnt flash . they were only just slightly over but enough . one driver got 4 in one day . its funny now but wasnt . fortunately they were all dropped in the early weeks . just as well.
it was a sharp downwards slope on a completely open bit of road in the middle of nowhere . originally set up really for cars but easily got trucks that should have been doing 40mph.

In that case they must photograph ALL vehicles and then sort them out manually afterwards.

What activates the camera?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont know it all. but i do know a height beam can sort the higher ones . there are lines similar to normal camera spots but it was always thought it wont detect trucks from cars but it can . gotta be the height i think . a low panel van can sneak under the light i think . a higher m,home gets flashed .
think if we all knew what caused it then a few might disappear or get damaged . hee hee . there was one round here used to go for walks regularly .

Zen

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Funster No
We are 5000kg and over 3 metres high and nearly 9 metres long.

In Switzerland you pay a Hgv toll for using all roads which can work out cheaper than a Vignette.

In Austria you only need a go box if you use the motorway network. Take time and plan your route and you can avoid these if you do not mind a few mountain passes :Eeek:

In France you will pay class 3 on the autoroutes but to be honest the other roads are so good and quiet why bother unless you need to get somewhere quick and then we don't mind paying a few quid for the convenience. :thumb:

We have no speed rondel on the back and have never been stopped. You do not see many locals with them either.

In short there really is no hinder either in weight and size if you get my drift.
do you find you can get through france on back roads ok size of your rig

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Having a 4600kg I haven't found any. Some Aires have small parking bays (length) but these is always somewhere just down the road that will accommodate larger vans.

We have travelled in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy without problems.
Same here.Always had vans that happenned to be over 3 5T but looked like most other vans and may have been fortunate but never had an issue anywhere

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

You may find you don't get a reply as it's a nine year old thread and they havn't been on since 2020 👍

6D764427-FE48-4609-9043-113B8FD1E5D3.jpeg

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Actually there are quite a lot.

In France, and other countries, many smaller roads are limited to 3500KG.

Also French motorway tolls are higher (at least class 3) above 3500kg. As are most other countries.

The outer lane in many german autobahns is limited to 3500kg so heavier vans must stay in the nearside with the lorries.

In Austria you need a go box to electronically charge tolls instead of the vignette. Also different rules apply above 3500 in Switzerland.

Speed limits are lower in many countries.

There is nothing that is insurmountable but it was enough to convince us that we preferred to stay within 3500kg.
I just ignored all of those.

Like the french do 😉

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've taken a 5.2 tonne 8.5m motorhome around Europe with no issues and I never use toll roads. Been I'm some very small villages in Spain/Portugal. Downsized to 7 metres and took that everywhere too . And recently went back to an 8.2 metre.

You can get most places without issue .....if you can drive it.

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
We have a 3.5 ton 3 meter high benimar, live in france.
Flashed all the time when under the speed limits because of hight, they read number plate to check vehicle.
Some roads have speed limits if over 3.5 eg N10 poitiers to bordeaux is 80 km and no overtaking. Hard luck if someone in front is only doing 60
Dont forget the angles mort sign for vieicles over 3.5 ton

Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
Some departments have changed back to 90 k
Some haven't still 80
Been caught out with that.
I keep to 80 just to be safe.
Never in a hurry anyway

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same as others.. 5.2t tag axle, no problem
It is not France you have to worry about, but the out of the way back roads of Croatia ( some make a cart track seem more like a motorway by comparison LOL !!! )

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You pay an HGV tax in Switzerland if over 3.5 ton, this is for everyday you spend in Switzerland and allows use of the motorways.
It is not just for going on the motorways as many believe.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
You pay an HGV tax in Switzerland if over 3.5 ton, this is for everyday you spend in Switzerland and allows use of the motorways.
It is not just for going on the motorways as many believe.

I have just been looking for the current charge for the >3.5t PSVA for the 10 day in a year tarif and get as far as factsheet 15.94 which refers to forms 15.91 and 15.92 for rates but both links do not work.

I seem to remember the charge was SFR 25, but am I right and is that current, please?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I have just been looking for the current charge for the >3.5t PSVA for the 10 day in a year tarif and get as far as factsheet 15.94 which refers to forms 15.91 and 15.92 for rates but both links do not work.

I seem to remember the charge was SFR 25, but am I right and is that current, please?
Sorry I don't know, haven't been there for a few years, seem to recall it was more like 30sfn. We only drove through on the way to Venice.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back