+3.5 tonnes

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Wyaye wires, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Sorry if this has been answered before but, what if any restrictions apply to the heavier M/H in France particularly and the continent in general?
    Thanks in anticipation. :BigGrin:

2. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Having a 4600kg I haven't found any. Some Aires have small parking bays (length) but these is always somewhere just down the road that will accommodate larger vans.

We have travelled in France, Spain, Portugal, Italy without problems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Actually there are quite a lot.

In France, and other countries, many smaller roads are limited to 3500KG.

Also French motorway tolls are higher (at least class 3) above 3500kg. As are most other countries.

The outer lane in many german autobahns is limited to 3500kg so heavier vans must stay in the nearside with the lorries.

In Austria you need a go box to electronically charge tolls instead of the vignette. Also different rules apply above 3500 in Switzerland.

Speed limits are lower in many countries.

There is nothing that is insurmountable but it was enough to convince us that we preferred to stay within 3500kg.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

Hmm...think we could do with a little more detail here? Seems a basic question, and there must be a definitive source of info for each EC country, you'd think. As posted in another thread, I may be replating from 3.5 to 3.85, so am very interested in the question. To quote from and respond to Motorhomer

"In France, and other countries, many smaller roads are limited to 3500KG"
    Not sure I noticed that many whilst there for four weeks? Admittedly not looking for them - most restrictions in UK are for >7.5 tonne, ie LGV, and there may be an EU link?

"Also French motorway tolls are higher (at least class 3) above 3500kg. As are most other countries."
    "]How can they tell what weight you are? If I replate to 3.85, how would an automated toll booth be able to tell?

"The outer lane in many German autobahns is limited to 3500kg so heavier vans must stay in the nearside with the lorries."
    Couldn't locate this rule, but did find that vehicles >3.5 tons are restricted to 80kph, so unlikely to be found leaving the inside lane anyway!

"In Austria you need a go box to electronically charge tolls instead of the vignette."
    Guidance at http://www.road-tolls.co.uk/product4.php suggests the bo box is an advantage only available to vehicles >3.5 tons, rather than being a restriction.

" Also different rules apply above 3500 in Switzerland."
    Namely?

"Speed limits are lower in many countries."
    Namely?

I'm not picking on Motorhomer, but I am suggesting that there is a need for definitive advice and am hoping to prompt more responses!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Bump.

6. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

At the Peage, if automated it appeared the vehicle height decided what toll rate you payed, the ticket nearly always came out of the top of the machine and not the lower part.

If a manual Peage, the operator usually looked out of his/her booth to see if we were single or double axle at the rear. This would appear to enable them what rate to charge you.

Just me opinion

• Like Like x 2
  7. ericonabike

ericonabike Read Only Funster

8. Phill D

Phill D

see red above:thumb:

9. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I confirm that in many places , especially as said before on little roads or when approaching little villages you'll have restrictions for 3,5t. You just have to follow the sign with a lorry on that's all. We missed one this summer with JJ and found ourselves nearly trapped in a small village with narrow bridges to go out ... But JJ managed (he just shut his eyes , and said come on girl to the hymer ) phewwwww!:Doh::BigGrin: The village was called Richelieu.

Frankie:Smile:

10. nomadic

nomadic Funster

There is a requirement to display speed roundels on the rear of your rig. Current speeds are..............well I'm not sure what they are now, and ours is in store just now, I think 80, 90 and 100kmh, and they are available on e-bay. (vinyl self adhesive)

You are restricted to a 10kpm reduction in rain/snow etc.

Some towns do restrict vehicle weight to 3500 kgs, small roadside signs, white letters on blue background, but we have never seen anyone stopped, and we certainly have not been stopped.

Tolls are as said, manual operators look for double axle, and/or height beem broken on approach, will activate the higher rate, simple answer don't use toll roads.

Oh, and don't forget the breathalyser kits, the start date has been put back the next year, but I think its worth carrying the kit, for the cost involved

I hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

vehicles over 3500kgs in /France are required to display three speed stickers on the rear. Quite a few bridges are limited to 3,500 as are a few towns if you avoid motorways. Generally motorhomes are expected to be under 3500 so mostly no problem. We are 7mtrs and had no problems on aires. So don't let that influence you. Don't forget your red and white stripped board if you carry bikes. Other than that no problem. In Switzerland vignette only required if you intend to use motorways. Stop looking for problems, the only problem you may have is deciding when (if) to come home, hee hee

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

I am not so sure that trucks are restricted to 80kph-----we were running at 55-60 MPH and weren't passing any ----some were passing us:Smile:
    In Norway the speed-limit for over 3.5ton (or anything towing a trailer) Is 48MPH-------but is the speed so important-----you are travelling to enjoy the Country---not race through it:Smile:
    The toll to cross the bridge between Denmark and Sweden is MUCH more on vehicles over 3.5 Ton:Sad:-----------The main reason we avoided it:BigGrin:
    Nigel & Pamala

• Like Like x 1
  13. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Correct me if you KNOW otherwise but I understood most of the continental 3.5T restrictions only apply to goods vehicles (camions) not cars (camping car)? except bridges etc of course.

• Like Like x 2
  14. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

Motorway tolls in France - Class 2 = Under 3-metres high & under 3,500kg weight.

Over 3-metres high OR over 3,500kg weight (or both) = Class3.

Apparently, many folk with MHs that automatically come up as Class 3 because one of the above limits has been exceeded, simply use the intercom to the control room and say 'Camping Car' and the category is usually re-classified to Class 2.

We meet Class 2 requirements in any case, so has not been an issue for us.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  15. talaris

talaris Read Only Funster

We are 5000kg and over 3 metres high and nearly 9 metres long.

In Switzerland you pay a Hgv toll for using all roads which can work out cheaper than a Vignette.

In Austria you only need a go box if you use the motorway network. Take time and plan your route and you can avoid these if you do not mind a few mountain passes :Eeek:

In France you will pay class 3 on the autoroutes but to be honest the other roads are so good and quiet why bother unless you need to get somewhere quick and then we don't mind paying a few quid for the convenience. :thumb:

We have no speed rondel on the back and have never been stopped. You do not see many locals with them either.

In short there really is no hinder either in weight and size if you get my drift.

• Like Like x 2
  16. jb0371

jb0371 Read Only Funster

my van is plated to 3.8, and is 2.8m high, so unless they want to open the bonnet its all good

• Like Like x 2
  17. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Not if I stick something on the roof before you go!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

Same with ours. :Wink:

19. Castaway

Castaway Funster

For information, on our visit to France in July this year, we were charged as a Class 2 on all the Autoroutes we travelled on and at both automatic and manned booths. That's in a 3850KG motorhome towing a car on a trailer. I was expecting to pay class 3 so was pleasantly surprised (and it saved me a fortune!!)

20. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I have found what I have found by driving through these countries and seeing the signs.

In Germany, on 2 lane uphill stretches of autobahns, the signs at the side of the road define what is not allowed in the outside lane.

You can read about speed limits in lots of publications - it is not hard.

You can read about toll charges in lots of publications - again it is not hard. And you may or may not be charged the higher rates in practice. In france you are quite likely to get away with it as more French vans are 3500kg so that is what they may assume.

In Switzerland you need an HGV vignette above 3500kg, you find this out when they ask your weight at the border when buying a vignette. Not necessarily a disadvantage, but different.

and if some think the GO box in Austria is an advantage, well that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The original poster asked if there were issues for vans over 3500kg. There ARE and the first response simply - and wrongly - said there are not. All I was doing was pointing this out. But if I had a van over 3500kg it would not inhibit me going in any way, but it just pays to understand the rules.