2nd leisure battery for a Autotrail (1 Viewer)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Hi
After nearly freezing to death at Newark we have replaced the leisure battery and want to connect another one.

I had a look in the battery box and there is a spare connector and the Autotrail owners manual indicates I can just plug one straight in.

Does anybody know if this is right and what is the name of the plug (so I can buy the male version).

many thanks
Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think the lead is listed on the autotrail website to buy,
just had a quick look and they have changed there website and no longer listed

just found it http://www.autotrail-online.co.uk/index.php/battery-harness.html
that cable looks a bit thin and a 20a fuse :Eeek:......i used 50amp cable and two 30amp fuses.

a fuse should be fitted at both ends of the connecting lead.
if there is a short to earth in the connecting cable the fuse will blow BUT the other end of the interconnecting lead is still connected to a live battery with no protection and a possible fire risk.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
your better off ringing sargent, than autotrail, sargent make the wireing harness's for autotrail and as such it will be

A: cheaper

B: quicker

And

C: you wont have to speak to the sarky receptionist at autotrail with thinks shes a doctors receptionist.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
The lead on the Autotrail website was had the wrong connector for the late vans anyway,i bought one and had to change the connectors.
On my van when i connected the second battery the battery power level reading went haywire would not read more than 70% even with fully charged batteries,had to let both batteries run really low and recharge several times before the reading was 100% still gives odd readings now and again

dave e

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
The lead on the Autotrail website was had the wrong connector for the late vans anyway,i bought one and had to change the connectors.
On my van when i connected the second battery the battery power level reading went haywire would not read more than 70% even with fully charged batteries,had to let both batteries run really low and recharge several times before the reading was 100% still gives odd readings now and again

dave e

turn off mains and battery first.

if you take off the surrond from the dispaly pannel over the door, theres two screws take them out and the pannel will drop down, unplug it from the ribbon cable, leave it for a while and then reverse instuctions to refit. It will probibly be ok now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MikeD

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012

dave e

Many thanks Dave - I spoke the the guy at Autotrail and mentioned that the connector looked different in their photograph to the plug on my van. He got quite grumpy and insisted that it would be right. What connector/plug did you have to buy?
MikeD

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
Many thanks Dave - I spoke the the guy at Autotrail and mentioned that the connector looked different in their photograph to the plug on my van. He got quite grumpy and insisted that it would be right. What connector/plug did you have to buy?
MikeD

Hi mike
The one that i got from autotrail had the old type lookar spade type femail connectors on it but as the wiring was the correct colour i just cut the connector off the van wiring and fitted insulated male spade connectors.
I have seen on other threads since that the one from Sargent is in fact the correct one i think it should have small pin like male connectors hope this helps.

dave e

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back