LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Murano was wet...a storm blew in just as we arrived, it also had much wider canals but with plenty of bridges.
IMG_0969.JPG

IMG_0970.JPG

IMG_0973.JPG

Less alleys and most seemed to lead to dead ends.
IMG_0975.JPG

We took shelter under here for a while.

IMG_0979.JPG

Martin spent a fair amount of time blind in Murano as his glasses were fogged up with rain..

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0977.JPG

Use your imaginations and picture it sunny..

IMG_0981.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_1008.PNG

@cliffandger did we buy anything? Not at these prices! P.s asked about your uke player she said classical musicians only...snoby Ities...

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

Martin contemplating the meaning of this piece he found the juxtaposition between the old brick tower and the modern yet timeless blue glass fascinating...

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_1010.JPG

Murano is quite a big Island and we found the best way to see it was using the on off water ferries.

We kinda concluded that once you've seen one glass shop, you've seen them all and once you've seen one canal you've seen them all.

Or maybe we had hit our post lunch Carb wall...

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Obviously poor Millie (who now thinks she's called ciao bella) has suffered in the rain...

IMG_0898.JPG

She's spent the last 2 days looking like a drowned rat.

IMG_0998.JPG

We even took an old towel with us today to help stop her shivering..Martin kept reminding me he was the one who didn't want a dog..
IMG_1009.JPG

as he spent half an hour on the ferry clutching a wet dog.
IMG_1011.JPG

We were chuffed to find this dog shower room at the campsite...5 star all the way baby..

IMG_0893.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

We immediately tried it out..
IMG_0891.JPG

We thought it brilliant.. mmmmmm Millie less so..
IMG_0890.JPG

This is me in my waterproofs holding her under the dryer whilst she looks at Martin imploringly.

IMG_0907.JPG

Rest assured fellow Funsters no animals were harmed in the making of this thread. Soon back to her fluffy and nosy self.
IMG_1006.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
That poor baby - I have to admit I love the one of her under the dryer though! Carry on like that and she'll easily transfer her affections to Martin.... :D

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
What a cutie, though I do believe I saw Hatred in her eyes; perhaps you should drop her off here on your way home. :hi5:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Poor Millie - spent all day in the rain and what do Mum & Dad do just as she was almost dry...?
...stick her under yet more flippin' rain/shower, get her soaking wet again :rolleyes:.
No wonder she looks less than impressed :D2.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Ok, we are laying here in bed with the van rocking violently....no sniggering in the back please...rain hammering down on the roof, waves crashing onto the beach and the wind is unbelievable.

This storm has finally defeated us..

We've decided to call time on Venice, tomorrow we will head over into Switzerland and if the weather stays as bad as this, we will just keep driving...

Germany and it's romantic road here we come.

Ciao bella from Italy.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Ok, we are laying here in bed with the van rocking violently....no sniggering in the back please...rain hammering down on the roof, waves crashing onto the beach and the wind is unbelievable.

This storm has finally defeated us..

We've decided to call time on Venice, tomorrow we will head over into Switzerland and if the weather stays as bad as this, we will just keep driving...

Germany and it's romantic road here we come.

Ciao bella from Italy.
I knew you'de fall for the romanticism in the end! Safe travelling tomorrow xx

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If you didn't have to get back for anything Dawn & Martin, I'd suggest Slovenia, or better still, Croatia. You are only 3 x hours away. ;)

Safe travels whatever you choose. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you didn't have to get back for anything Dawn & Martin, I'd suggest Slovenia, or better still, Croatia. You are only 3 x hours away. ;)

Cheers,

We'de agree with you there Jock - best holiday, as far as motorhoming goes, we've ever had! Hope Rita is feeling well and look forward to meeting up soon xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for sharing ! Even if they were wet soggy pictures never ever seen Venice like that so it's a first to see it wet!! Millie has perfected the imploring puppy dog eyes and look!! I'm thinking secretly Martin has a huge soft spot for Millie !!
Onwards and upwards to Switzerland ( second mortgage for coffeee and cakes needed!) hope the weather is Kinder. We did south Germany 2 years ago , hope you like pine trees!!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013

Cheers,

Sadly Jock, Martin has work next Wednesday..one day though we will have more time. Cheers.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We'de agree with you there Jock - best holiday, as far as motorhoming goes, we've ever had! Hope Rita is feeling well and look forward to meeting up soon xx
We totally agree with you Geraldine & Cliff, as it has been our most memorable MH holiday too, We fell in love with Croatia. :)
Hope to catch up with you both, at either Newbury or Stratford, if you are down for either of those. (y)

Sadly Jock, Martin has work next Wednesday..one day though we will have more time. Cheers.
:( Unlucky both of you. :( Have a safe journey back up the road. (y)

Cheers,

Jock & Rita. :)

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
What's the phrase? People plan and God laughs? Well that was us yesterday. With the help of the ever lovely Geraldine of @cliffandger fame we had a raft of information on the romantic road in Germany and had decided to cross over via Switzerland as being 4.25 tonnes crossing through Austria was just looking like hassle and expense.

We sadly said goodbye to a still wet Venice and turned north. Realising that Monday would be a bank holiday everywhere we searched out a vet and lucked out finding an English speaking one in Vicenza. She was lovely and with the help of something tasty from a tube millie ate her worming tablet.

IMG_1022.JPG

My leg gave way again twisting my sprained ankle so we made the snap decision to abandon the romantic road for another time and go home via Switzerland and France.

IMG_1028.JPG

Italians drive like they all have a death wish, every other car and lorry driver is using their phone, nobody indicates and they zip in and out with gay abandon. When they do have a bump (and hopefully this was minor) they send a bloke out to wave a flag in a very Italian way to give people the heads up. Can you imagine that happening on the M4?!

IMG_1033.JPG

Getting stuck in bank holiday traffic and lost around Milan added to the stress of the day so arriving in Lake Como was just the Tonic....(Along with the largest of gins).

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

A nice aire for 50 cents an hour.

IMG_1052.JPG

An unexpected night in Italy but I could think of worse places to wake up to.

IMG_1057.JPG

Onwards to Switzerland..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
My leg gave way again twisting my sprained ankle so we made the snap decision to abandon the romantic road for another time and go home via Switzerland and France.
Dawn, sorry to read that you and Martin have had to cut your trip short due to your injury :( but that will give you an excuse to return, another time. :)

You are certainly getting some great views. (y) I hope male nurse Martin is looking after you. ;)

Stay safe,

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks Jock, still going home as planned on Tuesday but just going to take it easy in France until then...too many hills in Germany :eek:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks Jock, still going home as planned on Tuesday but just going to take it easy in France until then...too many hills in Germany :eek:
But no tolls in Germany or Belgium ;) and cheap fuel and duty free goods in Luxembourg. (y)

Jock. ;)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
What a great blog Dawn. Some really stunning pictures will remind you to do it again soon.
Look after that ankle and have a safe journey home.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Rain in Venice is only classed as bad when the water in
St. Marks square is halfway up your calf when the tides is in :LOL:.
Gondola prices increase 25% at 7p.m.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
With regret we waved goodbye to Italy a country we had really enjoyed...along with about a tonne of seafood pasta. We made time for one last sneaky shop to stock up on some Italian essentials to take home...olive oil, flour, pasta, lemoncello etc.

Some people like to research a new country, buying maps and guide books, scouring the Internet for advice, not us, we like to live on the edge so our prep for Switzerland consisted of me painting my nails Swiss red and Martin reading a thread on fun about vignettes.

IMG_1065.JPG

Before we knew it we were there. At the border we stopped to buy our vignette roughly £26 for 10 days. £2.60 per day for lovely roads, tunnels and no other tolls seemed an bargain.

IMG_1082.JPG

The scenery was alright too.

IMG_1096.JPG

It wasn't long before we started seeing snow and mountains.

IMG_1122.JPG

At €6.40 for 4 bread rolls Switzerland is eye-wateringly expensive. These cheeky bad boys tasted good though.

We noticed diesel prices at €1.74!

IMG_1124.JPG

It was all very crisp and clean smelling.

IMG_1135.JPG

A photograph really can't capture how beautiful Switzerland is.

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1146.JPG

As we came out of the Gottenburg tunnel all 17km of it, we just had to stop and explore.

IMG_1162.JPG

We parked in Beckenried a spotless small village on the shores of lake luzern.

IMG_1160.JPG

We noticed people sat outside having lunch but after buying the bread rolls we thought we might need a 2nd mortgage if we sat down.

IMG_1168.JPG

So we settled on the free views and a walk.

IMG_1175.JPG

There were patches of snow on the ground, another first for Millie who loved it.

IMG_1199.JPG

Everything looked very clean and ordered including this lovely church.

IMG_1208.JPG

We were very tempted to catch this ferry but it didn't hang around long enough for us to count our euros.

IMG_1189.JPG

We absolutely loved Switzerland and will definitely come back to spend more time exploring it...with a moho pre stocked from France probably!

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
With one of those happy coincidences which sometimes happen on holiday we turned up to a random aire in a little French village (Chatenois) to find it full of 2nd hand and new motorhomes for sale.
Barriers across the entrance, the aire was closed. Martin muttering "bastido" we drove down the high street and found a car park with some other refugee motorhomers parked up for the night.

IMG_1216.JPG

The happy coincidence? Sunday morning was a sort of French fete come car boot sale in the high street and we all know how much Martin loves to peruse and buy strangers tat....I on the other hand was in heaven.

IMG_1221.JPG

IMG_1220.JPG

They had even laid on a band who seemed intent on following us up the street whilst playing the Beatles tune "let it be" oh the irony..

IMG_1223.JPG

More to follow....

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry I seem to have repeated myself so hopefully I can edit it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
So good you all need to see this twice..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp