LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We had a nice drive yesterday to the peninsula near Venice. We chose to stay at camping Cavallino, this ticked all our boxes, dog friendly and ACSI. It also turned out to be the best campsite we've ever stayed on. Large pitches next to a dog friendly beach with each pitch having drainage for grey and fresh water with EHU. Lovely amenities block which Martin assured me is spotless, restaurant and shop. Swimming pool is being refurbished and we can imagine in the summer it will be heaving.
IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

The first chance millie has had this holiday for a really good off lead run...all the prints are hers..

IMG_0751.JPG

We sat enjoying the sunshine outside our van thinking this is the life..millie meanwhile was digging to China! We've filled it in as best we can but the hole still offers a significant trip hazard :eek:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I was really excited about visiting Venice so it was easy to get up early to catch the bus from outside the campsite that would take us to the ferry.
Alas the weather had turned and we'd finally lost the sunshine.

IMG_0895.JPG

This is how I imagined Venice would be like...

IMG_0900.JPG

This was the reality....

IMG_0783.JPG

I'd also imagined that we would take a gondola ride together, I'd be wearing something soft and floaty, whilst licking an ice cream, Martin would be looking like Pierce Brosnan and the gondola driver would be serenading us softly in Italian...the language of love.

IMG_0871.JPG

Mmmmmm I wonder if that's what these poor folks had in mind? Instead they found themselves huddled under umbrellas whilst Mr Gondola checked out his latest matches on tinder..it could be you for the bargain price of €80..guess how long you get for that..35 minutes...as Martin said "they having a larf!"

So dreams shattered we walked on..
IMG_0782.JPG

The closest we got to a gondola o_O

IMG_0793.JPG

Our eyes always upwards (whilst avoiding having them taken out by Japs with umbrellas)

IMG_0796.JPG

We found breathtaking beauty even in the rain.

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

Have I mentioned the lack of sunshine? Cloud we can do but horizontal rain makes wandering slowly sightseeing a miserable experience.
IMG_0826.JPG

This cheered us up though..Millie's own wine shop.

IMG_0837.JPG

Again with the padlocks!
IMG_0838.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

Full marks to Jurgen and Claudia they have obviously thought ahead. Damien on the other hand is obviously a cheap skate.

IMG_0841.JPG

We aim to go back tomorrow with a sharpie.:)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
it could be you for the bargain price of €80..guess how long you get for that..35 minutes...as Martin said "they having a larf!"
I'm glad we aren't the only ones who thought it was a rip off. :(

As usual, thanks for the piccies, and posts. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You need to get yourself a padlock and put one on. Got to! :h:
Loving your trip.
We'd love to go there in Pug. I've always wanted to go to Pompeii too ever since doing about it at school !
It's the Isle of Mull for us this year September, for our camping holiday and back to where we got married Aghia Galini:inlove: by aeroplane in June.
Ralph wants to do Iceland or Norway next year in Pug .
Not doing things by half , as we've only gone as far as the Outer Hebrides and Isle of White ( off the mainland ) in a motorhome before.:Eeek:

Last edited:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Great blog and pictures have a great time

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Glad you stayed in Cavallino - we loved it there. The wine from the little shop on the main road is quite nice - if I remember, the rose was better than the white! Did you go to Murano or are you doing that tomorrow?

Hope the ankle is OK, I found Venice too claustrophobic for me and definitely hard going on the feet! Millie is certainly getting around! :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Great stuff.

I had heard about the rip offs in Venice so we have given it a miss.

Currently engraving a padlock(y)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Only just caught up Dawn, looks great. We took Brian (Hilldweller) advice and took the choo choo from Peschiera to Venice and of course it was brilliant sunshine and yes hard on the feet but we loved it. We spent rather a lot on food in Venice but managed to avoid the Gondoliers rip off but had a fascinating hour watching craftsmen making a Gondola.

Keep it coming Babe! xx Griff

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
What I found surprising were the shops, I was obviously expecting the usual tourist tat but I loved all the little shops, we kept turning off the main alleys to avoid the tour groups who were rushing heads down with umbrellas and we would literally stumble onto a line of small shop fronts but each shop only selling one thing....

IMG_0808.JPG

So I got swept rather swiftly by Martin past the handbags...

IMG_0823.JPG

And by my latest obsession...cashmere wraps..

IMG_0827.JPG

We both lingered by the gin..which was actually reasonably priced.

IMG_0877.JPG

We found these masks really creepy..

IMG_0812.JPG

Can't ever imagine hearing Martin say "I'm just popping down to the quill shop"..

IMG_0817.JPG

Just gloves, this row was on a busy alley hence the umbrellas.
IMG_0803.JPG

I loved these glass bowls, but with prices starting at €300 it was sadly a no..

IMG_0804.JPG

Amazing colours in these ones, can't wait to get to Murano (the small island off Venice where the glass is made).

IMG_0805.JPG

We are after some shot glasses for our lemoncello but €150 for 6 :eek:and as Martin says "they don't even match!".
IMG_0876.JPG

Not our taste at all but the size of a 50p, very skillful.
IMG_0849.JPG

What's amazing is that everything coming onto Venice is delivered by handcarts, we saw quite a few of these guys around. We even had to reverse ourselves down an alley for one :eek:

It was interesting that some goods were more expensive but some things were similar to the main land. Obviously you all know I didn't marry a shopper but even Martin found Venice and it's shopping experience fascinating.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I love the two brown leather bags above the doorway. The cashmere wraps look to be a very good price as does the gin. I wouldn't have been able to resist the glass bowls. Note to self stay away from Venice. Loving your journey @Mousy as always.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
In our quest to escape the masses we kept diving down any get-away. Venice is a network of canals, bridges, squares and alleyways. Some alleys are as wide as a car, some narrow enough only for the local cat..
IMG_0762.JPG

We didn't bother about getting lost, it was all part of the fun. We decided very early on that trying to "see the sights" in the rain and crowds was no joy so we took an alternative foot tour of Venice.
IMG_0763.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

Some of Venice is more shabby than chic but still lovely.
IMG_0821.JPG

The excitement of getting to the end of an alley not knowing if we'd find a dead end, canal or something beautiful was great.
IMG_0843.JPG

Down here, left a bit, right a bit and you come out onto this...
IMG_0845.JPG

The Grand Canal..note the lack of tourists..

Back down another alley...

IMG_0772.JPG

Martin as you know doesn't fear going were he might not be wanted...in this case a beautiful secret garden..

IMG_0860.JPG

We turned down a dead end looking alley and found this... Amazing!

IMG_0875.JPG

We came across the gondola drivers parking up for lunch.

IMG_0896.JPG

In our quest to get off the beaten track we went down here, I thought at one point I'd have to diet to get out :eek:

IMG_0901.JPG

Luckily we came out onto here..and breathe!

IMG_0902.JPG

No washing out..

IMG_0903.JPG

Not my poor photography skills this time that tower is definitely on a wonk..

IMG_0905.JPG

Apart from the weather and the crowds we absolutely loved Venice, we found it fascinating, we will be back...

Attachments

• IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 3
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I am loving your photos of Venice :) we are off there in July but not in the motorhome. We would do exactly what you have done go off the beaton track to find a less touristy Venice. Did you come across restaurants and coffee shops that appear to be cheaper than the main areas?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Has Mousy become Motorhomefun's equivalent of Andy Stothert?:notworthy:

Both travel with their long suffering partners, both have a wicked sense of humour and both travel to wonderful locations in their motorhomes:cool:.

Obviously it goes without saying which one is the more attractive:cautious: (creep that I am:p)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Dawn, those photos make me sad that we didn't explore as far into the back streets as you obviously did. The shops look amazing - did one of those little orchestra people play a uke - i'de have paid good money for that!

Have a lovely time in Murano. Hope the sun is shining xx

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
We turned down a dead end looking alley and found this... Amazing!
Like you, we tend to toss a coin at junctions - whether on foot or in the motorhome, and just see where it takes us. After a while you get to be quite expert in reversing back around twisty alleyways whilst being serenaded by tooting car horns!! :oops:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We found the shipright building Gondolas by taking a dead end walk, fascinating place.

Gondola.jpg

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_0912.JPG

So today we went island hopping. The plan was to visit Murano but something got lost in the translation and we got onto the boat to Burano...what an excellent accident that turned out to be.
IMG_0910.JPG

Once again we turned left whilst the school trips and Koreans carried on so we had these beautiful canals and alleyways all to ourselves.

IMG_0917.JPG

We were enchanted by Burano with its bright gaudy houses, it had a tough working, real people feel to it.

IMG_0928.JPG

Although this blue one could do with a lick of paint..
IMG_0933.JPG

Once again we wandered at will but sometimes it felt almost voyeuristic, as we were up close and personal with people's front doors and the alleys led to courtyards with washing out or benches waiting for Italian mammas to sit gossiping with their neighbours.

IMG_0937.JPG

You can just see the awning of the little family restaurant where we enjoyed lunch.

IMG_0944.JPG

No need to visit Pisa.

IMG_0949.JPG

Whilst sat on a bench having a rest we got accosted by some school kids whose trip challenge was to have a photo of themselves with an animal. They asked to borrow Millie, but struggled with holding both her and their selfie sticks. I helped out, she's excitedly licking all their faces and they are desperately trying to get her to look at the camera. I call her name, then they all start shouting her name, so of course she's now beside herself with excitement. Luckily she doesn't pee herself but to see these 3 lads juggling Millie was hilarious.
They were surprisingly picky about their pictures too.
When it was all over and we rounded the corner of the square to see about 30 kids all trying to get selfies with pigeons we swiftly hid.

IMG_0954.JPG

Even on a dull day Burano is cheerful, we can only imagine how wonderful it would be in sunshine.

IMG_0966.JPG

Murano to follow...

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I am loving your photos of Venice :) we are off there in July but not in the motorhome. We would do exactly what you have done go off the beaton track to find a less touristy Venice. Did you come across restaurants and coffee shops that appear to be cheaper than the main areas?

Hi, I think you'd have to go a long way out until you noticed any drop in prices. Think you just have to accept it's expensive. We paid €14 for a coffee, hot chocolate and 2 croissants in a little cafe for breakfast.

Lunch was €54. 2 courses and 1 drink each.
IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

Here's a recommendation for lunch, it was sadly shut for us.
IMG_0999.JPG

Very envious of your trip, you'll have a great time I'm sure.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Has Mousy become Motorhomefun's equivalent of Andy Stothert?:notworthy:

Both travel with their long suffering partners, both have a wicked sense of humour and both travel to wonderful locations in their motorhomes:cool:.

Obviously it goes without saying which one is the more attractive:cautious: (creep that I am:p)

But Phil who's the long suffering partner? Martin or Me? :eek:

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Burano looks beautiful - so much nicer than Venice - I almost don't want to see Murano .... did you buy any glassware? xx

You'll just have to wait and see...after our lasagne..

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
One thing we always tell those visiting Venice is to take the Secret tour of the Doge Palace which takes you behind the scenes and when the tour is over you can also use the same ticket to visit the Doge Palace proper.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
One thing we always tell those visiting Venice is to take the Secret tour of the Doge Palace which takes you behind the scenes and when the tour is over you can also use the same ticket to visit the Doge Palace proper.

Just couldn't face this que..
IMG_0787.JPG

It wrapped around the corner too...

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH