2nd Hand MH & the dreaded VAT (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Look forward to your comments on this one and will not be offended at all!
Am I being stupidly pedantic or just being a tight a----- Scot in not being prepared to pay for a second hand MH (2 years old) which has just been reduced from its new price by the VAT payable when new?After all the VAT does not represent any part of the vehicle simply the tax dear George Osborne wanted from the purchaser of it! I can understand that the sellers must be aggrieved that he has nothing to show for the VAT he paid.
My way of thinking is that VAT is not payable on a second hand MH and being 2 years old there must also be depreciation to be taken off it's new cost.

Thanks again Ian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Look forward to your comments on this one and will not be offended at all!
Am I being stupidly pedantic or just being a tight a----- Scot in not being prepared to pay for a second hand MH (2 years old) which has just been reduced from its new price by the VAT payable when new?After all the VAT does not represent any part of the vehicle simply the tax dear George Osborne wanted from the purchaser of it! I can understand that the sellers must be aggrieved that he has nothing to show for the VAT he paid.
My way of thinking is that VAT is not payable on a second hand MH and being 2 years old there must also be depreciation to be taken off it's new cost.

Thanks again Ian
It took me a while to get my head around this but I think VAT has nothing to do with it, this is just a marketing ploy.

Suzuki often sell cars at a "VAT free price" but they aren't really VAT free, the purchaser pays VAT - but on a total price reduced by the total VAT which would have been paid on the full, pre-discount price. Not very well explained probably but this deal has nothing to do with HMRC or VAT rules, the dealer is just offering it at a price which happens to be the same as the original new price before VAT was added.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
And hot, don't forget that (particularly dumb bit of legislation). Bread and bacon don't attract VAT on their own, but cooked bacon would, if sold hot.
Does not have to be hot. if they are vat registered you will pay vat on any food you purchase.
We once had a pet shop. I could buy 25k sack or rabbit food vat free, sell 25k sack vat free but if I split that sack into smaller quantities it was vatable.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back